Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Other games that help your USPSA game

I honestly think that carpentry helped me a lot with shooting. For 7 years a pneumatic framing nailer was an extension of my right hand. I got to be extremely fast with it, always putting the nail where I wanted. I think that made me 1)partially deaf and 2)unafraid of recoil. Also, doing a dangerous job day in and day out made it easier for me to feel comfortable running with a gun.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I honestly think that carpentry helped me a lot with shooting. For 7 years a pneumatic framing nailer was an extension of my right hand. I got to be extremely fast with it, always putting the nail where I wanted. I think that made me 1)partially deaf and 2)unafraid of recoil. Also, doing a dangerous job day in and day out made it easier for me to feel comfortable running with a gun.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It helps with grip for sure, but for me, if I run a screw gun on subfloor all day I have a hard time telling myself not to pin the trigger to the rear and my trigger speed suffers slightly.  I guess that is why I have started doing lots more dry fire to help my brain understand that my gun is not the same tools that I use for work lol.

I like NRA bullseye or ISSF events like 10m air pistol.  By drastically increasing the standards for an acceptable sight picture and trigger control, I think it helps to improve fundamentals.  I'd also say Steel Challenge for the work on transitions and accuracy at varying distances.

I like golf, I find it very similar to USPSA in a lot of ways. It's mostly a mental game, lots of planning and visualization followed by short bursts of highly focused energy. It stresses hand eye coordination, accuracy and precision as well as being a highly personal sport. You generally have no one to blame but yourself for poor performance. The consistency aspect is also very similar. It takes a string of good shots in a row to make a good hole, it takes a string of good holes to make a good round. You don't have to be spectacular, you just have to be consistently OK and you'll score pretty well. Risk/reward analysis... blah blah I could keep going. It's basically the same sport with less noise and more beer

I’ve found that people working in professions requiring them to do a lot of wrenching with their hands and a heavy usage of tools seem to have much better coordination and generally seem to rank high among matches I go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, EliteGuard said:

Steel shoots. I am talking about shooting matches that are setup like USPSA stages, but all steel. They have helped me so much with shot calling, my transitions, and moving into positions.

I definitely agree with this. I started off with outlaw steel matches and it does wonders for your shot-calling abilities and transitions. I don't shoot them as much as I used to, but I still feel like I learn a bit every time I go. 

• 1 year later...

Steel Challenge helps with shot calling.  Quick double taps on a small steel target helps with splits.  Dry fire practice doesn't seem to do anything for me.  Practicing live fire with a random par timer does wonders for my draw to first on target shot.

I tell people that juggling helps my shooting.  I don't know if it's true or not, but it doesn't stop me from saying it.  I think you'll find that a lot of people have some other activity that they think helps their shooting performance, but the reality is that using your brain/muscles in any activity is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Steel Challenge helps all pistol sports.  Plenty of practice with draw and target acquisition.  Next is trigger control and swing.  These 4 exercises done repeatedly in SCSA will help with all shooting sports.  Couple this with some time doing dry fire and a small amount of time at the range and you have a great routine.

• 4 weeks later...

I started cycling a couple years ago to lose weight and become more fit and it has significantly helped my mental and physical endurance during long matches, and I have very explosive movement thanks to all the hill climbing, and the cardio benefits

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...