Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag spring maintenance

bokbok_05

Is this a trick question? I have never taken a shooting ciesta, but I have swapped divisions and guns before.  First, i never leave mags loaded longer than absolutely necessary.  Mag springs don't always last the same amount of time either.  I usually change mine out a local match before a major match to test them.  If they are going to go bad it usually happens all at once and there is no "good" time, so change them before they make you wish you had.  Storing mags for long periods of time , I would remove the springs and give them a dusting spray of oil.  Especially if your storing them in a place not climate controlled.  I also have "match" mags and a set of "practice " mags.  When practice mag springs quit, I put new springs in and they become the match mags.  

If they are Glock mags just put them anywhere and they’ll be fine. If they are wide body 1911 mags (Sv, sti, MBX) I would take the springs out and compare them to the size of a new one. If they are more than 25 percent shorter I’d toss them (keep my followers, I only use Graham’s)  and start with new springs when I returned from California, Massachusetts, Liybia or wherever I couldn’t take my mags. lol 

Edited by 3gunDQ
Liybia, ?