Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2018 Area 8 Ontelaunee Rod & Gun Club

Practiscore registration opens up today.

I tried to find a thread on Area 8 logistics from prior years but was unable to find much. I’ve never shot a level three match before so I’m trying to answer some questions and solicit answers to things I don’t know enough about to ask! I tried to join the area 8 Facebook page a few times but am “pending”.

Can you answer one or two below? 

-Does it fill up quickly on practiscore? 

-If I got in could I pick the day to start? 

-Can you shoot in one day or is it a multi-day commitment? 

-Places to stay and eat nearby any good? 

-General vibe of that match? 

-Did you enjoy it? 

-Would it be insane to do this as first level III match? If so what’s better near DC? 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Covfefe

Answers in order of your questions:

Yes

Yes

Only one day

Yes, there will be a match hotel, keep abreast to Bill's (MD) email and FB blasts

The Best (I'm biased since I know the MD and are part of his team...??)

Yes

No, not insane

Prizes are given when you size in. The difference of a level 3 match is more stages and more RO eyes watching you. If your finger is in when it should be your properly get sent home. Things like that. As long as your safe your have a great time. Its a great match at a great club.

59 minutes ago, kpbaer said:

Prizes are given when you size in. The difference of a level 3 match is more stages and more RO eyes watching you. If your finger is in when it should be your properly get sent home. Things like that. As long as your safe your have a great time. Its a great match at a great club.

Thanks for input. 

The staff will be polite, professional and watching for all the typical things... pair up with an experienced competitor and listen... if you have questions , other than how to shoot a stage, talk to the ROs or call the RM..

this match is 2 months prior to nationals... so you should see some serious competitors, don’t try to run their plan... be safe, have fun, and I’ll see you at the safety briefing!
I missed the 2016 and 17 A8 matches, but like Arnold said... I’ll be back...

they charge you more than your local matches, but generally more (2x+) stages and higher round counts and more fun stuff to shoot, more challenging shots.  if you've done just a few local matches don't hesitate to do this one or ones like it.  I stayed at the Motel 6 outside of Allentown.  just don't let new, bigger, better distract you from the basic safety stuff - muzzle generally downrange and finger clearly outside the trigger guard while moving, reloading, fixing a jam, etc.  it is a fun, and very well-run match.

also, i haven't been to one, but hear they put on a helluva monthly match, with round count and stages similar to some major matches.  if you want to get the lay of the land, hit one of those before a8.

There matches are nuts. We ran our match at the same time as them and decided to move it because there was no way to attract High quality shooters from them unless they were local to us. I’m hoping to be able to make one or two this year. 

Word on the street js they sre scaling it back to one day instead of multiple days. 

I’m signed up and got my Saturday slot. I swear the whole match filled up in like 5 minutes. I did see Doug and Max are both shooting CO on Friday. John Vlieger was the high overall last year I believe and he’s shooting it again this year.

Ontelaunee is an awesome club. I shoot steel there quite a bit. You’ll have a great time.

2 hours ago, davsco said:

also, i haven't been to one, but hear they put on a helluva monthly match, with round count and stages similar to some major matches.  if you want to get the lay of the land, hit one of those before a8.

I probably already missed the last slot. Didn’t have enough time to run it by the wife, who worked today, so maybe I’ll take your advice and do the monthly match. 

Thx!