Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI made by Dasan Machineries korea??

bonglee0507

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw several complete 1911 and 2011's with this roll mark on GB about a month ago.  I called STI and they confirmed that were legit. 

Edited by TK66
Add info

Dasan  is very modern company with ISO   9001 standard  and  good QC.

now they  products  is very well made   . the cost is low  but quality  is o.k.   for me personally   is more important to have best quality product and not where it's made.

did somebody have problems with this frames or slides? many  best  gun companies use their gun parts. 

the only bad things that i saw about  STI on this forum   is few guns with poor  gunsmith  workmanship . and  that is   STI   problem  only.

Yeah, they do.  It's just a major move from a few years ago when STI said that they manufactured ALL of their parts, except springs and pins, in house.

Their parts quality took a major dive about the time they partnered with Armscor on the Spartan.  

They had a major problem with slides cracking about 2 years ago.  Both as parts they sold as well as their complete pistols.  I got a slide from them in November that you couldn't get the reverse plug into the cut in the slide when the pistol was assembled and I had to re-cut it.  I also had 4 builds crack slides with as low as 30 rounds on the pistol.

6 minutes ago, jpl said:

Yeah, they do.  It's just a major move from a few years ago when STI said that they manufactured ALL of their parts, except springs and pins, in house.

Their parts quality took a major dive about the time they partnered with Armscor on the Spartan.  

They had a major problem with slides cracking about 2 years ago.  Both as parts they sold as well as their complete pistols.  I got a slide from them in November that you couldn't get the reverse plug into the cut in the slide when the pistol was assembled and I had to re-cut it.  I also had 4 builds crack slides with as low as 30 rounds on the pistol.

that's very sad. 

i know about one company that inspect again all parts that they receive from outside companies including hardness of the parts to ensure that metal will not cracks.

i think  that sti  can do it too.  but for this they need to spend more  money.;)

I'd been hearing for the past couple years about STI sourcing parts from overseas.  A couple times people told me with absolute certainty that they were getting the Spartan frame and slides from RIA.  Not sure if that was true but I'd heard it a couple times.  I'm a little surprised that the Edge is being sourced from overseas.  

I think that both are important and realize that different things are important to different people. I think this is especially true for a brand that markets itself as “handmade in Texas”. Most of us who do find where the pistol is made important, find that a bit misleading. It obviously doesn’t matter to most people, else the business would not survive. I like an American 1911 in the same way as I like a Swiss Rolex or a German Porsche, or a Japanese sushi knife. There is something special in my mind about an item made in the place where it originated, with maybe an inaccurate belief that the people in that place know that item best, take pride in their accomplishment, and make these items with special attention because it is their baby.

O.K. us pride is  important .

US is known about their  pro  gunsmiths  that even from "garbage" can build  masterpiece 

"""""""""""""and make these items with special attention because it is their baby.""""""""""" 

-    and about this  - maybe from this reason  STI   customers have  problems  that explained in this forum:lol:(it's not their babies)

Edited by yigal

12 hours ago, GIO said:

Raise prices, lower quality. Sounds like somebody in the Marketing department took over. Sad.

Unfortunately, this is becoming the norm in a lot of industries.

We as consumers can vote with our wallets, but for so many, the difference in cost sometimes outweighs the perceived benefits.

I just bought a cheap Yi action camera that was made in China that is pretty awesome, does slow-mo, etc. rather than buying a more expensive GoPro. So we are all guilty of this to an extent. However in my mind, a gun should be a work of art, and craftsmanship always trumps price... at least for me.

Electronics (most) are a good example of cost over quality because they are pretty much disposable. One of the only things good about getting older is you finally realize you should never have low quality Shoes, Guns or Friends. 

41 minutes ago, GIO said:

Electronics (most) are a good example of cost over quality because they are pretty much disposable. One of the only things good about getting older is you finally realize you should never have low quality Shoes, Guns or Friends. 

;)