Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backup Gun

TRPOperator

Really silly NOT to have a matched backup gun, iff you're shooting major matches.

Local matches - maybe you can get away without one - but you will still be out of

the shooting for a few weeks if you have to send your gun to a smith.

If travel and $100 -200 match fees are involved - you NEED a backup gun.    :) 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Really silly NOT to have a matched backup gun, iff you're shooting major matches.

Local matches - maybe you can get away without one - but you will still be out of

the shooting for a few weeks if you have to send your gun to a smith.

If travel and $100 -200 match fees are involved - you NEED a backup gun.    :) 

Easier said than done if you shoot a custom Open gun. Took me awhile to get a second gun.

I’ve never needed to switch to a backup gun during a match but I have definitely forfeited going to a major match because my gun broke the day before I was supposed to leave. Now I consider a backup gun a must. 

I’ve kept my g34 open gun around and bring it as back up to my 2011. Its not a bad backup. Needs a slightly different load though. At some point I’m gonna buy a new primary open gun, and my current will become backup. Maybe one day I’ll have enough money to have 2 of the exact same guns. But right now I can hardly afford one. 

3 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Another decent option is to have friends that shoot the same division. sharing a gun is not the end of the world. 

A couple years back one of my friends got beat by two guys that were shooting his gun.

Ouch

I always have my backup. It’s not exactly the same as my primary gun but it’s always nice to know I can continue the match if my primary gun goes down. I feel it’s a bit more of a necessity in open than in limited, though. 

For the four divisions that I care to shoot (open, singlestack/classic, prod and carry/prod optics) I have 2 identical guns for each:

2 identical open guns (plus a third extra backup?!)

2 identical bull barrel Trojans (actuallly 3 atm but I’ll sell one)

2 shadow 2’s and 2 shadow 2’s with optics. 

The only downside side is double everything. Example of match gun say gets a new mag button then backup gets it too. Match gun got new front sight? Yep, change the backup too. 

For me they are less useful if they aren’t very close to identical. 

Plus it means one gun can do all the heavy lifting in practice and keep the ‘match gun’ in better condition. 

Edited by BeerBaron

12 hours ago, B_Seehawer said:

I used to have identical backups but have since gone cheaper. If you need your backup, you can’t wait to finish and go for beers afterwards anyway.

Truth to that. Most times when you see somebody walking to the car to change guns they will have a story to tell you about their match already being blown from major time lost on multiple stages or from zeroing their last stage. 

10 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Truth to that. Most times when you see somebody walking to the car to change guns they will have a story to tell you about their match already being blown from major time lost on multiple stages or from zeroing their last stage. 

That is exactly right.  Plus it will always happen on a long stage, so it really costs you.

As far as the backup being exactly the same, maybe.  Certainly the sighting arrangement.  My backup had a different sight than my main Open gun.  I played find-the-dot on a couple of stages in a Level III match.