Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets

3djedi

Anybody using coated bullets in their open gun? Is one kind better than the other? Such as polymer coated blue bullets vs hitek coated black bullets.

Let me know what you're using and how well it's working for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have tried blue bullets bayou bullets acme sns casting black bullets all shoot great all smoke and all lead up the comp 
Thanks! Did the hitek coating of the black perform any better or worse than the polymer coating of the blues?

I think I will try a sample pack of blues. You think there's any performance difference between the round nose and the truncated cone they offer in the 125g?

I’m using 125 gr TC blue bullets currently. Accuracy is good in limited testing. Haven’t seen smoking either but our range is so windy it’s hard to say. Will need to run some more indoor matches to really see if they smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Did the hitek coating of the black perform any better or worse than the polymer coating of the blues?

I think I will try a sample pack of blues. You think there's any performance difference between the round nose and the truncated cone they offer in the 125g?

The 125 TC worked better in my gun for OAL I wanted.

I been practicing few times with blue 125 gn. In super Comp accuracy sucked but I think I was over crimping. In 9 major I still need to test more
I found some 125g TC blue bullets to try. I let you know how they work for me.

17 minutes ago, 3djedi said:

I found some 125g TC blue bullets to try. I let you know how they work for me.

Yes please do. Mine are round nose. I have loaded but not got to put em down the pipe yet. I’ll let ya know 

Over 3 different guns, probably 15k of bayou .358 dia rn 124's

.358 don't lead in my guns, I run Dillon spray lube in comp.

Once every 1000 rounds or so I kroil oil the comp over night and shoot 8-10 jacketed loads the next range trip and that seems to self clean the comp. Fwiw!

On 2/27/2018 at 5:33 PM, mro111lland said:

I have tried blue bullets bayou bullets acme sns casting black bullets all shoot great all smoke and all lead up the comp 

+1

Not worth the effort, in my opinion. I tried coated for quite awhile, then I tried plated, then I finally said screw it and went with the herd and started shooting jacketed. 

I been practicing few times with blue 125 gn. In super Comp accuracy sucked but I think I was over crimping. In 9 major I still need to test more

I was over crimping at first and bullets were tumbling. Fixed the crimp and has been fine since.

I've used blue bullets and black bullets before.  Blue seemed to work better for my gun but they're definitely not as accurate pushing major PF

da210da4657dd6abf185e000d614c040.jpg
This is 10 yd group of 125 blue bullets from my gun. Not amazing accuracy but wasn’t bullseye shooting either. Regular semi rapid pace. Accurate enough for me for the time being for USPSA.

May try some 115’s of fmj’s to compare.

6 hours ago, kujo929 said:

da210da4657dd6abf185e000d614c040.jpg
This is 10 yd group of 125 blue bullets from my gun. Not amazing accuracy but wasn’t bullseye shooting either. Regular semi rapid pace. Accurate enough for me for the time being for USPSA.

May try some 115’s of fmj’s to compare.

If I can get that group I’ll be happy. 9 maj or super Comp?

4 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

9major

I tried some in super Comp an it was everywhere wouldn’t even call it a group. I was having Bullet set back an tried extra crimp. Think it was the problem not blue Bullets 

11 hours ago, 36873687 said:

I tried some in super Comp an it was everywhere wouldn’t even call it a group. I was having Bullet set back an tried extra crimp. Think it was the problem not blue Bullets 

More crimp is rarely, if ever, the solution to setback.

I tested out some 125g blue bullet truncated cones yesterday. Not as accurate as FMJ's but I was able to keep it in the head box at 25y without much problem. That's good enough for what I need to do.

What's the process for cleaning the lead build up on the comp? (I'm pretty new to open lol)

47 minutes ago, 3djedi said:

What's the process for cleaning the lead build up on the comp? (I'm pretty new to open lol)

Scrape it out with a mini screw driver or the like... or shoot JHP and never do shit. 

brass rod ground down to look like a flat head screw driver is the best way to go if you have to clean it. i like to soak overnight in lucas cleaner then scrape it with a brass scraper if need be

10 hours ago, 3djedi said:

I tested out some 125g blue bullet truncated cones yesterday. Not as accurate as FMJ's but I was able to keep it in the head box at 25y without much problem. That's good enough for what I need to do.

Glass beads