Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hands that hurt - getting old

I worked for 20 plus years in professional kitchens. That alone is enough to bitch about. What all that time has done is created arthritis in my right hands 1st 3 fingers. Some days I wake up and can barely open them up OR squeeze a pistol grip. GETTING OLD SUCKS. I am only 54 (be 55 in June) and some days my hands feel 100. The pain effects my grip, the poor grip effects my aim and how I am able to handle recoil.

Thank G-d I found PCC. it is better but still hurts to shoot.

GETTING OLD SUCKS... 

+1 on the Turmeric.   Been taking it for a year, works well.  Be sure to get the version with 

Black Pepper extract in it.  Does more to keep my 66 yr old fingers flexible and pain free

than Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen. 

+1 on the Turmeric.   Been taking it for a year, works well.  Be sure to get the version with 
Black Pepper extract in it.  Does more to keep my 66 yr old fingers flexible and pain free
than Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen. 
How long till you started to feel some relief?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Just now, mstamper said:

How long till you started to feel some relief?

4-7 days.   My wife and I both take it.   Current batch is TnVitamins brand,  Turmeric Curcurmin with Black Pepper Extract, 500 MG.

Cheapest place I've found it so far is Amazon. We take 1 morning, 1 evening---some sites recommend 3 per day.    

I hear ya.  For me its a knee that has started to give.  Everywhere you go that thing is just nagging me.  Its like its permanently 'twisted' or 'sprained'

And a extra rant to the eyes.  I treated em good all these years and now they are starting to 'fail' (middle age man syndrome-bi focals for my future).   Great.......

Edited by Crazy Scientist

BTW, you might want to switch this great conversation from "Things I Hate", 
to Other, or something.

Or the Mods will close this for starting a conversation in Hate.
Well it started as what I hate and kinda morphed.

MODS.... if this needs to be moved, please do so. Thanks

2 hours ago, open17 said:

4-7 days.   My wife and I both take it.   Current batch is TnVitamins brand,  Turmeric Curcurmin with Black Pepper Extract, 500 MG.

Cheapest place I've found it so far is Amazon. We take 1 morning, 1 evening---some sites recommend 3 per day.    

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Any side effects ?

No side effects I've noticed.  Well--maybe a increase in tolerance to Indian food-----

A while back my hands started hurting when shooting, I bought some "Copper Hands" (as seen on TV) just to see. I don't think the copper does anything, but they are compression gloves (minus the fingertips) so I've been using them for a couple of years now. They seem to help (that, or I'm  a hypochondriac), either way, my hands feel better. You can get them at Walgreens for cheaper than the TV ad.

This is a really useful topic. In the run up to the IPSC World Shoot in France my hands just let go - couldn't even make a fist, seriously painful. Had to stop shooting for two months, right when I should have been practicing. Managed to shoot the WS with the help of anti inflammatories, but it wasn't much fun.
Many sessions of physio and ultrasound later, I'm much better, but still not at 100% - I'll be trying the Turmeric immediately (in addition to glucosamine for dodgy hips).

The weird thing is that I'm still 42. My doc suspects that my years of instructing scuba and also lots of tec dives beyond 180 feet must have left their mark.

4 hours ago, Cliveb said:

I'm still 42. years of instructing scuba and dives beyond 180 feet must have left their mark.

Sorry to hear that - hope the glucosamine helps.

There are three types, BTW - 1. glucosamine, 2.  + chondroitin and a third.

My wife and I prefer the Gluc + chond.    :) 

17 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Sorry to hear that - hope the glucosamine helps.

There are three types, BTW - 1. glucosamine, 2.  + chondroitin and a third.

My wife and I prefer the Gluc + chond.    :) 

Slowly getting there - put 500 rounds of .40 major Pf downrange today and am not feeling very sore - pretty good :-)

I too use the Gluco + Chondroitin, found that it works best. Started on the turmeric this morning!

i dont personally go for any of the simple remedies as none worked for me. i have very severe rheumatoid, and some osteo, and i highly recommend seeing a good rheumatologist. if you have anything other than some minor wear and tear arthritus, getting it under control quickly is very important.

Try Cryotherapy, Research that I did showed 3 - 6 months relief after 4 to 6 sessions. It's not cheap, I haven't tried it yet, but friends I know have and said they got great results.