Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring with firing pin spring?

Darthrader18

Is there a formula or system to use with a specific weight recoil spring and the firing pin spring. Should I use the firing pin spring that comes with a recoil spring or is there a better system. Trying out different recoil spring weights should I swap the firing pin spring at the same time? Does the main spring come into play with this as well? Still very new to 1911/2011 firearms. 

Edited by Darthrader18
Spell check

I'd suggest changing one part (spring) at a time.  Changing more than one at once may solve the problem, usually will make it worse or create a new and different problem.'

I'd suggest using a 17lb main spring and something from 8 to 12 lb recoil spring, depending on exactly what class you are in.  Heavier spring for something like SS and lighter ones if going for Open.

Most recommend changing the firing pin spring whenever you change the recoil spring. Wolff springs are great. The extra power firing pin spring that comes with their recoil springs are perfect. The more important relationship is the recoil spring and mainspring. I typically recommend a Wolff 17# mainspring. Then you want the lightest recoil spring that will function 100%. Here is a chart from Dawson precision that is a good place to start for recoil spring weights. 

wolff-recoil-spring-chart.jpg?t=14430472 

image.png