Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Station 1 Brass hitting die on upstroke

I have tried to search this but not sure what key words to use to find the answer so I am having to ask the question. Set up my 650 this weekend and love it. The only small issue I am having is at station 1. I am using Lee pistol dies and about 1 out of 5 times the brass in station 1 will hit the lee die and I have to reach my hand under the die and tilt the top of the brass over to go into the die. This would also happen at times when using these same dies on my Lee Turret press. Do you think that I have a faulty die or is there a way to adjust the arm that pushes the brass into station 1 to ensure that it is getting pushed in all the way?

I am thinking about picking up another size / deprime die today to see if the lee die has a defect. Would you recommend that I stick with lee or is there another company I should consider? I have been using Lee dies for over 2 years and love them but they are also all I know. 

... this happens to me on the odd occasion.

I took the back alignment pin out.   that helped a lot.

I also tried a polish on the die mouth. that did help some.

I have read that grease on the underside of the case slide may be required.

my press didn't seem to have that problem.

luck.

miranda

Take the shell index plate (silver thing that the case rides in on the way to station 1) and put a dab or two of grease on the bottom of it. Can't remember what Dillon told me that does but it fixed the problem for me. At least mostly. It still happens but  far less. I think it keeps that little sivler thing from moving so much. 

1 hour ago, Sig0431 said:

Roger, will try that. Thanks!

What Sarge said. 

As a matter-of-fact, since your tool heads floats a wee bit, put an unsized case in at the sizing station, a loaded round in the bullet seating station, a primed case in the powder drop station and a loaded round in the crimp station, and run them all up into the dies. Leave them there and then loosen the lock nuts. 

With everything still in the dies, re-tighten the lock nuts. 

You're ready to go.

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Take the shell index plate (silver thing that the case rides in on the way to station 1) and put a dab or two of grease on the bottom of it. Can't remember what Dillon told me that does but it fixed the problem for me. At least mostly. It still happens but  far less. I think it keeps that little sivler thing from moving so much. 

It dampens vibration when the case drops from what I was told. 

6 hours ago, MikieM said:

What Sarge said. 

As a matter-of-fact, since your tool heads floats a wee bit, put an unsized case in at the sizing station, a loaded round in the bullet seating station, a primed case in the powder drop station and a loaded round in the crimp station, and run them all up into the dies. Leave them there and then loosen the lock nuts. 

With everything still in the dies, re-tighten the lock nuts. 

You're ready to go.

Awhile back I had the same problem using the Lee die in station 1. The loosen/tighten process that MikieM suggests did the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

I found it’s a balance between having the die set properly and adjustment of the shell plate....what a pain in the ass it was to flick too many rounds into the shellplate with my finger.

I tried greasing the index plate...and make sure the shell arm that introduces the shell on the plate is also properly adjusted.

When the 650 is running smooth it’s a wonder to behold!.....

Oh yea I started using Hornady One Shot on all my pistol brass....Butta’....why did I wait so long???.....

5 minutes ago, TANFARM said:

I found it’s a balance between having the die set properly and adjustment of the shell plate....what a pain in the ass it was to flick too many rounds into the shellplate with my finger.

I tried greasing the index plate...and make sure the shell arm that introduces the shell on the plate is also properly adjusted.

When the 650 is running smooth it’s a wonder to behold!.....

Oh yea I started using Hornady One Shot on all my pistol brass....Butta’....why did I wait so long???.....

I'm assuming you have to tumble all pistol loads when you're done now?

On 3/13/2018 at 8:08 AM, RichJacot said:

I'm assuming you have to tumble all pistol loads when you're done now?

Been using OneShot for a few years, never have bothered to clean it off. Haven't had any issues from 100deg F down to -20deg F, and never notice dirt sticking to rounds in dropped mags.