Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major load performance - HP vs CMJ

Chillywig

Just wondering about switching back and fourth with the same weight bullet but HP vs CMJ. For example Montana Gold 115 HP vs 115 CMJ - does the load, power factor, velocity stay the same when just switching styles of bullet or is there a different amount of contact surface between the bullet and barrel to notice differences in performance, recoil or dot movement? Any advantages to using one over the other?

4 hours ago, Chillywig said:

Just wondering about switching back and fourth with the same weight bullet but HP vs CMJ. For example Montana Gold 115 HP vs 115 CMJ - does the load, power factor, velocity stay the same when just switching styles of bullet or is there a different amount of contact surface between the bullet and barrel to notice differences in performance, recoil or dot movement? Any advantages to using one over the other?

OK, this is old data (2002) and I was living in Colorado (Fort Collins) and at 5000 feet.  A friend and I tested the MGBs in 124gr, CMJ and HP for  38 Super.  We chronographed (with a Competitive Edge Dynamics CED)  the JHP at ~100 fps faster and figured that we could make major easier with the JHP.   The local store had Hodgdon Longshot on sale and that's what we used.  I have not bought any other bullet since but I also only shoot a little over a case a year (3750 pills / case).   I would get more data, I have not compared since and never tested at sea level.