Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 primer crimp

sniper3

Hey everyone . I have about 4k .223 I'm going to reload and I'm using a Hornady 3 stage power unit to cut out the primer crimp. It does a good job but it takes a long time and a lot of finger pressure against the cutter to remove the crimp . Is there anything out there that is fast and easy , or am I out of luck :(

Chucked up a reamer bit in my drill and you can really plow through some cases doing that. Swager may be a little easier, but not sure about $100 easier.

Then again, ask me again after 1,000 rounds

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I used to use the reamer in a drill routine and it is relatively fast. The problem was the inconsistency - very easy to over-ream them. Plus if you dont ream enough, you will definitely notice it on the press. Interrupts my cadence. 

xdr

The key here is using the proper tool in the drill. A true reamer will easily over do it and make the pocket unable to hold a primer. All you need to do is cut the swage out, which is right at the surface.

This tool in a drill will do the job and not destroy the brass;

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/176759/hornady-primer-pocket-reamer-tool-large?

Or get the Dillon super Swage 600...

Or better yet, the 1050. ?

jj

For crimped primer pockets, I running the Dillon swage handle 2 to 3 times before it will pass the primer pocket gage.  I have tried just running it once and then doing the normal primer pocket unify pass on my RCBS prep machine but that does not always open it enough.  

GT. What size drill does that chuck up in? 
Just a regular hand drill, the bits that comes with are about like a drill bit.

You can take off too much, but a quick zip works great and is easy.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

If you have a single stag press Hornady makes the Primer Pocket Swage Tool for it. I recently switched to this setup and it is fairly fast, it took me about 15 minutes to swage 100 pieces of brass.  The setup if very simple and it doesn't require a lot of force to operate.

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-accessories/primer-pocket-swage-tool

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/6/2019 at 7:22 PM, tires2burn said:

RCBS 90386 TM Military Crimp Remover, 2 Small. I just got one of these and its fast and can't over cut your brass.  Chock it up in a hand drill or drill press and it just plain works. $17.99

+1 on this method. I had a machinist friend turn down the base so I can Chuck it easier. Works like a charm and is much faster than the super swage but not as fun/satisfying. I also bolted my vise(which holds the drill) in a cardboard box so it catches all the brass shavings.