Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popple holes?? Drill or EDM Sinker

fxdc

I've come across some videos and post here of people drilling their holes. 

Burr vs no burr ... accuracy has to suffer by drilling just because of the Burr. Even plunge cutting with a 4 flute center cutting endmill will leave a burr.

What's your experience with either way?

Same. Drill or plunge with end mill. Touch up any large burrs. Shoot a few rounds which will clean everything up. You will not suffer accuracy issues unless you can make it so bad it damages the bullet. Your worries should be lock up, crown, and comp clearance for maintaining mechanical accuracy. 

And even then I've destroyed lands that had to be cutting bullet jackets but the gun still had acceptable accuracy. It's just one of those things that isn't as delicate as we seem to think. 

Edited by theWacoKid

Basically what everyone else said. 

I have done them both with a regular drill press/drill bit and with a mill/end mill. 

I think people just over think this one a little.  I've never seen am accuracy issue after doing it. 

As a tool maker I had to ask.

I have in the past ran EDM Sinker and spent the last 20 plus years running Wire EDM and mills, I've settled into managing shops and running the Wire machines.

The EDM process leaves NO BURRS .

I have used wire EDM to lighten my slides.... I have been thinking of adding popple holes and wanted to hear what others have done (drilled or EDM as Magna Port does).

The shop I run now has no sinker or hole popper. And deburring the inside of a barrel is tough to get the inside as clean and sharp as EDM.

So now I ask how much more powder will be needed if I add three .156 Dia.  Holes.

Wish I could add my hi res pix of the slide cut I've done. But it wont let me.

Thanks for your input.

I would like to see the slide.  Any chance you could email some pics to my mail?  mlm5ill9er 

@ yahoo.com.

Thanks.  

The amount of extra powder is nearly impossible to calculate especially with no more detail.  (Caliber barrel length powder bullet power factor?)  Simplest method would be chrono before holes then chrono same ammo & conditions afterwards.  Increase loads carefully until you get where you need. Carefully!  Long barrel may not take as much extra as you would think....