Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 40 S&W Load Recipes

cj36d

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless I've overlooked it, it looks like all of the loads referenced here apply to the higher-end pistols. I used similar loads for my STI but have switched to a G35 for my backup for IDPA matches. That said, has anyone used either the N320 or N310 for .40?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Waylonspapa said:

Unless I've overlooked it, it looks like all of the loads referenced here apply to the higher-end pistols. I used similar loads for my STI but have switched to a G35 for my backup for IDPA matches. That said, has anyone used either the N320 or N310 for .40?

Thanks

My G-35 load is 4.7 N320 under a 180 Precision Delta, loaded to 1.125, BUT that is USPSA Major Power factor, running about 940 fps.  For IDPA, you don't need NEARLY that much for SSP or ESP Division.

I don't think I'd try 310 in a 40, except for light bullet powder puff loads.  It's a spooky-fast powder.  Vihta Vourhi actually wants us to use slower powders like N340, N350, or 3N37 in just about all of their load data.

Agreed ^.

N320 works fine for making IPSC/USPSA Major. Why not for a little lower PF too.

Also. I don't think N310 is very good for .40. I have used it for .45 ACP, and will again. But that is a whole different ball game.

Glocks are pretty strong. People have fired pretty sturdy loads out of Glocks with no apparent issues.

Edited by perttime

4.3gr of N310 behind a 180 coated bullet was awesome.  I didn’t shoot it for very long as I switched to revo soon after. Years later when I sold my unused boxes of the 180’s I gave the guy a few loaded rounds I hadn’t shot and he called me asking what I was using as it was super soft.

From memory, 4.5gr N320 with a coated 180 (BBI), or 5.0gr with jacketed (MG), both loaded long.

I did once upon a time load major 40 with N310. Experienced a few pierced primers and gave up on it. Pretty sure I was having setback problems... I might be willing to try it again.