Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 40 S&W Load Recipes

cj36d

Looking for some recommendations...just had Jeff Abernathy build me a pretty new 40 SS and I have piles of N320 laying around.  Trying to decide on 180 grain or 200 grain, and get a couple of recipe options...thoughts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a ton of info. In the reloading section for .40 & N320.  You will need to have an idea of what length you can load out to (probably ~ 1.18") before you can get an idea of how many gr. to start with.  Planning on coated or JHP??  With a 180gr coated bullet you will probably be @ 4.9gr @ 1.18" to make ~170 pf.

Edited by NoSteel

Para P16.40 5" barrel. I load 4.7 gr N320 @1.20 with Blue Bullets 180 RNFP. That puts me right at 171 pf and that also seemed to be the most accurate load. Temp was 72 that day. 

I know a guy running an STI with the same bullets and he loads 4.6 gr N320 @1.18 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/30/2018 at 2:12 PM, JayDee said:

I use 4.5 grains of N320 under a 180 coated Eggleston, and 4.9 grains of N320 under Rainer plated. OAL 1.145"

Makes 170-173 PF from my 1911 & my CZ TS.

Same 4.5gr Eggleston’s or Blue’s 180’s and 4.9gr for Berry’s.  OAL 1.135” for CZ CTS.  

• 1 month later...

4.9 grains N320, 180 TCFM Zero bullet, 1.185" OAL, various brass, Federal primer.  Makes 171 power factor out of Atlas 1911 or STI 2011.  By the way, what do you crimp to?  I've crimping to 0.423 - 0.424".  It's been suggested that I crimp tighter to avoid the possibility of setback during feeding and subsequent high pressure.

What barrel?  My Nowlin and Kart are faster than either of my Schuemann barrels.

Taran and I did a side by side test. He was working up a load for Nationals.  Nowlin and Kart were about 15-20 fps faster than his Schuemann.

Shorter the OAL the less powder needed in my barrel.  

With a 200 gr Zero and can make major at 166-167 with 4.5 VV320, in the SW.

On 7/24/2018 at 12:37 AM, B585 said:

I use 4.7 of N320, 180 Blur Bullets, 1.182 OAL, out of my 5'' 2011. It made 170.5 PF. This was with different headstamped brass.

Since I seem to be an outlier in terms of only using 4.7 at 1.182 to make Major PF, I will note the following:

The PF was determined at a Sectional match.  A couple guys in my squad thought the Chrono was reading slow while others said they thought it was dead on.  It was almost 90 degrees when I chronoed.  I am using Winchester primers.  Those numbers were obtained through a STI barrel.  My personal chrono tends to read very close between both my 2011s and the other has a SV Ultramatch barrel.  For Majors, I determine the charge by averaging the weight of 5 charges.  The initial weight is measured on a manual scale and then every 100th bullet is checked with a digital scale.  If I need to make a change, I make it averaging 5 charges on the manual scale.  I check the length with a mic on every single bullet and only accept 1.179 to 1.186.  Again, I was shooting 180 GN Blue Bullets.  Yes, my process is surely overkill but since this was my first Major, I wanted to make sure that any mistakes I made during the match were my fault and not my equipment or ammo.

I am not sure why I am getting away with less powder.

Edited by B585

Since I seem to be an outlier in terms of only using 4.7 at 1.182 to make Major PF, I will note the following:
The PF was determined at a Sectional match.  A couple guys in my squad thought the Chrono was reading slow while others said they thought it was dead on.  It was almost 90 degrees when I chronoed.  I am using Winchester primers.  Those numbers were obtained through a STI barrel.  My personal chrono tends to read very close between both my 2011s and the other has a SV Ultramatch barrel.  For Majors, I determine the charge by averaging the weight of 5 charges.  The initial weight is measured on a manual scale and then every 100th bullet is checked with a digital scale.  If I need to make a change, I make it averaging 5 charges on the manual scale.  I check the length with a mic on every single bullet and only accept 1.179 to 1.186.  Again, I was shooting 180 GN Blue Bullets.  Yes, my process is surely overkill but since this was my first Major, I wanted to make sure that any mistakes I made during the match were my fault and not my equipment or ammo.
 I am not sure why I am getting away with less powder.

4.675 gn VVN320
180 gn RNFP Blue Bullets
at ~1.185" coal
Mixed range brass
CCI spp
169 pf
5.4" SV AET

Tested multiple times between ~55-90 f using 3 different chrono brands -- variance is ~+2/-1 for average pf.

• 2 weeks later...