Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3K shell release problem

Marv Z

Putting together a M3K for 3 gun this year. Put a +6 Nordic extension on it, trimmed the follower spring a couple times, down to 12" longer right. If I put 10 rounds in the tube, the shell latch won't pull back after pushing the release button by the trigger. it moves a little bit, but not far enough to release the shell. I did trim the latch down on the shell side and polish it for easier loading, but didn't shorten it or change the angle. Sometimes you rack the bolt and it will release a shell, sometimes not. Works fine up to around 7-8 rounds, but not after that. Any ideas? 

• 10 months later...

Interesting no answer to this but I may have a solution based on a problem I ran into while working my M3K over. Full disclosure, I just picked up my gun and tore it completely down for cleaning and adding some MOA precision parts to it. Anyway I stumbled on your question looking to see if anyone had the issue I was having. 

When swapping out the bolt release button and the shell stop or carrier latch extractor as the owners manual calls it, I found a short pin inside the carrier latch extractor spring that limits the travel. Why Stoeger added this is beyond me as it appears it’s not in the M3000. 

I started to practice quad loading and i couldn’t consistently get shells into the mag tube. The carrier latch extractor would lock up or not move far enough to let shells in even if I loaded singles. I removed that little pin and the problems are gone. 

Check to see if your gun has that pin in the carrier latch extractor spring. If it does I bet that’s your problem.