Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So 1911 9mm Single Stacks...

Blksheep

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

No, the spacer is in the rear of the Tripp mags, but the magazine has a large clearance cut in the front of the magazine.  

thumbnail_IMG_2848_1_.jpg

Wilson in middle, Dawson on right...  

Looking at the side of the trips mag are the lips shorter than on the wilson?  

Go with the PM9. It's leaps and bounds better than a RO or a Colt competition(I've owned both)

I picked up a used PM9 with magwell, grips, and 6 mags for $1250 shipped. 

The fact that it already has front strap checkering is the main kicker.  

Range officer(used)-$650

6 magazines-$200

Grips-$50

Magwell-$100

Fiber optic front sight-$40

Front strap checkering-$250

Total-$1290........and you still have a gun full of MIM parts.

9 hours ago, jpm2953 said:

Go with the PM9. It's leaps and bounds better than a RO or a Colt competition(I've owned both)

I picked up a used PM9 with magwell, grips, and 6 mags for $1250 shipped. 

The fact that it already has front strap checkering is the main kicker.  

Range officer(used)-$650

6 magazines-$200

Grips-$50

Magwell-$100

Fiber optic front sight-$40

Front strap checkering-$250

Total-$1290........and you still have a gun full of MIM parts.

You realize that the RO can be had from the factory with a fiber optic front sight and you have to buy everything else listed except for the checkering for DW right?  And a little grip tape is stickier than checkering and cost about 2 dollars.  I am not saying that the DW is not a better gun, however the fuzzy math is not realistic

36 minutes ago, RJH said:

You realize that the RO can be had from the factory with a fiber optic front sight and you have to buy everything else listed except for the checkering for DW right?  And a little grip tape is stickier than checkering and cost about 2 dollars.  I am not saying that the DW is not a better gun, however the fuzzy math is not realistic

Not sure how that’s fuzzy math. I’m comparing my used PM9 I bought for $1250 that was ready to roll with getting an RO set up. 

Never seen a Range Officer with a FO sight from the factory. 

6 minutes ago, jpm2953 said:

Not sure how that’s fuzzy math. I’m comparing my used PM9 I bought for $1250 that was ready to roll with getting an RO set up. 

Never seen a Range Officer with a FO sight from the factory. 

So you bought yours used with grips, mags, and a magwell, but are listing the cost of new grips mags and magwell on the RO=fuzzy math.  You have to look at new gun prices for both, not some great deal  someone stumbled across on a used one.  You could just as easily find a used RO ready to roll for 800 or so.  Look at new prices and see if the DW is worth it to You.   Both are good guns that will last basically forever, the DW is finer quality no doubt, but is it needed for this game at the extra cost, is the big question.  .  

I didn't read all of the replies, but I went with a Sig Sauer Max in 9mm and really like it. You have to get rid of the series 80 safety stuff, and change the recoil and main spring, but when that's done it will shoot like a dream and look like a million bucks doing it.

2 hours ago, RJH said:

I agree. Got my ro in stainless for $700 new and came with fo front sight

Edited by echotango

18 hours ago, RJH said:

My caveat here is check the Springfield pistol carefully before buying. Their QC is sketchy. I bought a Loaded Target 9mm in 2015 and it was loose and rattly. Internals were complete garbage and it had more sharp edges than a Swiss Champ pocket knife (that's the one with a whole lotta blades on it).

Spent another $500.00 (not including discretionary parts like grips, magwell or front sight) getting it to its current condition, basically I paid $1,000.00 for a frame, slide, grip safety, and rear sight. So I paid $1,500.00 for a nice gun that still doesn't have front strap checkering. Only original parts left are frame, slide, rear sight, extractor, ejector, (surprisingly it was well-fit and has given me no problems in about 10k rounts), firing pin and firing pin spring.

And Springfield insists on using that goofy .220" grip safety radius, making replacing that part a challenge. 

If I had to do it again, I'd go with the PM9. Even with the California mark-up, I'd have a better gun for very little more than I spent making the Springfield gun almost as nice.

3 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

My caveat here is check the Springfield pistol carefully before buying. Their QC is sketchy. I bought a Loaded Target 9mm in 2015 and it was loose and rattly. Internals were complete garbage and it had more sharp edges than a Swiss Champ pocket knife (that's the one with a whole lotta blades on it).

Spent another $500.00 (not including discretionary parts like grips, magwell or front sight) getting it to its current condition, basically I paid $1,000.00 for a frame, slide, grip safety, and rear sight. So I paid $1,500.00 for a nice gun that still doesn't have front strap checkering. Only original parts left are frame, slide, rear sight, extractor, ejector, (surprisingly it was well-fit and has given me no problems in about 10k rounts), firing pin and firing pin spring.

And Springfield insists on using that goofy .220" grip safety radius, making replacing that part a challenge. 

If I had to do it again, I'd go with the PM9. Even with the California mark-up, I'd have a better gun for very little more than I spent making the Springfield gun almost as nice.

Definitely  possible on all accounts.  Funny thing is is  that the RO is generally better fit than the loaded. I think all the ROs are fit in the US, but only some of the loaded models. If a person buys  any springfield 1911 they need to make sure that the serial number prefix is NM that tells you it was fit here. The non NM guns are spotty for sure. Cause i am the curious type, dies yours have the NM prefix?

4 hours ago, RJH said:

Definitely  possible on all accounts.  Funny thing is is  that the RO is generally better fit than the loaded. I think all the ROs are fit in the US, but only some of the loaded models. If a person buys  any springfield 1911 they need to make sure that the serial number prefix is NM that tells you it was fit here. The non NM guns are spotty for sure. Cause i am the curious type, dies yours have the NM prefix?

Mine is a NM s/n gun. Made in USA from what I understand. Being in California, I can only buy what the state says I can buy, RO is not on our "Safe Handgun Roster", so that's why I was stuck with the Loaded.

I will say it does look nice. And it is a nice gun now. Just took too much effort to get there. Unacceptable for a $1,000.00 gun. That and the goofy grip safety radius soured me on their guns. 

I run one of Virgil Tripp's new 1911's as my main competition piece.  A 9mm and a 40 top end.

BUT, for my backup, I picked up a RI in 9mm.  I replaced barrel bushing, added a tungsten GR, SV AL non pivot Grip safety, DP ICE magwell, Ed Brown Extended mag rls, and VZ grips.  Gave it a trigger job to 2.5lbs and added grip tape to front strap.  All in a little over $1k but it runs perfectly.  Would not hesitate to run as a main gun (actually its for sale as well as moving to Open next year)...

Edited by RGC

• 4 weeks later...

I went with a Springfield RO and I wish I had spent the few hundred extra and gone with a Dan Wesson PM9. It’s just a nicer gun with better fit and finish. If you don’t care about front strap checkering, undercut trigger guard, and front serrations then the RO is just fine. With 10,000 plus rounds my RO has ran flawlessly. For extras I like the Dawson no gap magwell, Dawson mag catch with the big button, and VZ grips of your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/23/2018 at 2:15 PM, OPENB said:

Consider the Dan Wesson PM9. Slide to frame, barrel to frame fit is excellent. No MIM parts. Nicest short of a custom.

I considered one. Thought I might use it in SS so I bought one.

Picked it up day before yesterday and brought it home. Took it out of the case. Jacked the slide a few times. Thumbed the safety on and pulled the trigger.

The thumb safety and hammer both fell at the same time. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. 

In a couple of days it will be on it's way back to where it came from. I was promised a replacement, but my confidence in Dan Wesson Arms is shot to hell.

Edited by MikieM

7 hours ago, OPENB said:

New gun or used? Never heard of that from a new gun. Used, never know what the last guy did to it. 

Brand spanking new. Zero miles.

Obviously, the guy fitting safeties was drunk that day.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with the "get what you pay for" mentality for the 9mm 1911 offerings. I tried the affordable route with an RIA once and it wasn't my cup of tea. I'm sure they can be good, but the quality control and fitting isn't 100%. I just didn't feel like putting in the effort to troubleshoot and tweak it.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, skyjumper said:

What do you guys think of the Smith & Wesson 1911 9mm pro series for a single stack gun

Thanks

Before getting one I would call and see what accuracy they will warranty. Springfield is awful on what they will guarantee (5" at 25 yards I think) would be good to know where Smith is at before dropping the coin. Else, S&W is good at fixing what is not right and nothing special in regard to sending it out right the first time.