Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 + Titegroup + what bullet?

LeviSS

Back when coated lead meant moly coatings from BBI or Precision or whomever, Titegroup was one of the powders that burned hot enough to melt the coating, and was recommended against by those manufacturers.

Hi-tek coating should not have an issue with Titegroup specifically, but it can have an issue with any powder if not cured properly/thoroughly.

You barrel leading more than likely has nothing to do with Titegroup.  Leading with coated lead or bare lead is more often than not an issue with bullet to barrel fit.  Many 9mm pistols do better with lead or coated lead bullets sized larger than the standard .356 -- so .357 and even .358.  Blue bullets are undersized at .355, and I get leading in my 75 ShadowLine, as do a couple of other people with CZs.  I know one guy who who switched from the .355 9mm and started using the ".38" bullets sized .358 Blue Bullets instead, and the leading stopped.  I can't speak for various people's SNS bullets, but I have used four different models from SNS in 9mm, and one of them was slightly undersized -- not .355 but not quite .356 either, average was about half way between.  That could be the issue with SNS causing leading, and coated bullets sized a little larger could end the leading completely.  At least buy bullets that are the full standard size, and not slightly under.  When I have put the micrometer on a bunch of ACME (been a while), they've been a little over .356, so it doesn't surprise me that someone with leading who switched to ACME saw the leading diminish.

ACME sizing seems spot on or a hair over.  And BBI seems outright oversized by a thousandth, which could be just what you need to fix leading.  

Edited by IDescribe

1 hour ago, IDescribe said:

Back when coated lead meant moly coatings from BBI or Precision or whomever, Titegroup was one of the powders that burned hot enough to melt the coating, and was recommended against by those manufacturers.

Hi-tek coating should not have an issue with Titegroup specifically, but it can have an issue with any powder if not cured properly/thoroughly.

You barrel leading more than likely has nothing to do with Titegroup.  Leading with coated lead or bare lead is more often than not an issue with bullet to barrel fit.  Many 9mm pistols do better with lead or coated lead bullets sized larger than the standard .356 -- so .357 and even .358.  Blue bullets are undersized at .355, and I get leading in my 75 ShadowLine, as do a couple of other people.  I know one guy who started using .358 sized .38 bullets from Blue Bullets, and the leading stopped.  I can't speak for various people's SNS bullets, but I have used four different models from SNS in 9mm, and one of them was slightly undersized -- not .355 but not quite .356 either, average was about half way between.  That could be the issue with SNS causing leading, and coated bullets sized a little larger could end the leading completely.  At least buy bullets that are the full standard size, and not slightly under.  When I have put the micrometer on a bunch of ACME (been a while), they've been a little over .356, so it doesn't surprise me that someone with leading who switched to ACME saw the leading diminish.

ACME sizing seems spot on or a hair over.  And BBI seems outright oversized by a thousandth, which could be just what you need to fix leading.  

I shoot .358 in most of my 9's

Bayou Bullets

8 hours ago, IDescribe said:

You barrel leading more than likely has nothing to do with Titegroup.  Leading with coated lead or bare lead is more often than not an issue with bullet to barrel fit.  Many 9mm pistols do better with lead or coated lead bullets sized larger than the standard .356 -- so .357 and even .358.  Blue bullets are undersized at .355, and I get leading in my 75 ShadowLine, as do a couple of other people with CZs.  I know one guy who who switched from the .355 9mm and started using the ".38" bullets sized .358 Blue Bullets instead, and the leading stopped.  I can't speak for various people's SNS bullets, but I have used four different models from SNS in 9mm, and one of them was slightly undersized -- not .355 but not quite .356 either, average was about half way between.  That could be the issue with SNS causing leading, and coated bullets sized a little larger could end the leading completely.  At least buy bullets that are the full standard size, and not slightly under.  When I have put the micrometer on a bunch of ACME (been a while), they've been a little over .356, so it doesn't surprise me that someone with leading who switched to ACME saw the leading diminish.

Could be sizing, or could be coating...I have also run Blue Bullets, which they say are sized .355 and .400 accordingly, with no leading.  They used to have an explanation on their site about why properly coated bullets don't need to be oversized.  But they also use something other than hi-tek.

I don't have any of the 135 SNS 9mm's lying around, but I did find one 200gr .40, and it measured just under .401.  These leaded in two different .40 barrels. Would a full .401 or .402+ have fixed the leading?  Might have, but so did switching to plated bullets :-)'

Bunches of folks have great luck with SNS, and other than the leading, I found them to be top notch...very accurate, quite reasonable, and very quick shipping.  They just aren't right for me, right now.

TobyJ

Fair  enough.  In my CZ 75 Shadowline, Blue bullets lead, and precision isn't the best.  In a group of 10, 8 or 9 will be tight, then 1 or 2 fliers, and I'm talking good called shots benched.  In my VP9, they don't lead at all, and as far as precision goes, they're lasers.  I love them for my VP9.  As far as the Blue Bullets testing goes, that would largely depend on how many and what pistols they tested them in and how good the bullet to barrel fit was.  I don't imagine the testing was super comprehensive, and there's a reason every other lead and coated lead manufacturer uses .356 as the standard.  ;) 

As to your situation, if you're happy, you're happy.  :) Not a lot to argue with there.  I will say, though, that I have found it much easier to extract accuracy from coated lead and jacketed bullets than I have with plated, and given that I can get 124gr JHP for the same cost as plated, and I can get coated lead much cheaper, plated just isn't on my radar anymore.  

Sorry about that,  124 RN coated ibeji 1.145 oal  3.8 tight group  1100 fps es 27 sd 8 

Coated bullets use less powder to achieve similar speed, less propellant and lead bullet may feel softer shooting. Everyones opinion differs experiment to find your personal preference.

On 3/12/2018 at 7:47 AM, diesel855 said:

Sorry about that,  124 RN coated ibeji 1.145 oal  3.8 tight group  1100 fps es 27 sd 8 

Coated bullets use less powder to achieve similar speed, less propellant and lead bullet may feel softer shooting. Everyones opinion differs experiment to find your personal preference.

I just started loading ibejiheads.  Very happy so far and no issues with smoke, leading, etc.

5 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I just started loading ibejiheads.  Very happy so far and no issues with smoke, leading, etc.

I've loaded some of their .45 bullets.  I like the bullets and the coating, but the price isn't terribly competitive.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a GEN 5 34 approx. 3 weeks ago and absolutely love it. Did the trigger work myself with over and pre travel drilling into the trigger and installing a set screw and drilling into the housing for over travel with another set screw. It works great.

As far as loads I am currently using 3.2 GN of Tie Group under 147 blue bullets and find that it is accurate and flat shooting. If anyone has anything different I am all ears and would love to try it.

• 11 months later...

Blue Bullets at their standard .355 shot like garbage out of both my G17's at 25yds.  (147g FP)   

Slightly better with H&S and SNS at 147g.

Everglades 147g FMJ RN and Extreme's both shot best.

Just ordered some Blue Bullets at .356 and some of the DG bullets to see if there is any difference.

i want to add this about the new alliant Sport Pistol, i have been hearing about titgroup is not highly recommended by the coated bullet companies, i probably may not have shot as many coated bullets as most guys here, maybe 8k or so, but the last 3 weeks or so, i started using Sport Pistol, it is designed for coated bullets, i will say the groups are on par and slightly better than titegroup with 147's. seems like the barrel runs cooler. i am switching over to this new powder. less smoke, milder recoil.

chet