Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feels like the first date in high school

I had to post this as I am sure that many of you have been in my shoes and remember the feeling that I have today.....

My Dillon 650 is being delivered today!!!!

Yup that's right boys and girls, I have finally made the leap, the plunge, I am moving on up... to the blue side.... to the deluxe reloader in Dillon blue!

Along with the 650 in 40s&w I also ordered:

Dillon: Quick Change Kit, 9mm caliber conversion kit, case feeder with plates for 9mm and 40, Powder Check, Install DVD, Spare Parts Kit, Bullet tray, low powder sensor, Primer flip tray, tool holder with wrench set, extra primer tubes

Inline Fab: ergo handle, Ultra mount plate for 650

DillonUpgrades.com:  live and spent primer catcher, case feed crud catcher

Ebay: Grand Slam Performance Improvement kit (Roller cam follower, low mass detent ball and spring, oil lite top plate thrust washer bearing, rotocam actuator and the primer stop switch)

Reloading Innovations: Starlight press light. I have always used inline led strips in the past but I really like the design of this lighting system.

Amazon: Frankford arsenal vibrator primer thingy. Yes I know that many people hate this product but I have watched many videos on how to mod the device to make it run smooth so I am going to try it.

Huge thanks to everyone on this site as I developed this shopping list over the last year from reading all the posts and feedback from the members here. So today I will retire my Lee turret press and become a big boy who can potty on his own haha.

Think back to the day when you were in my shoes, when your first dillon was arriving, did you feel like I do... all giddy like you are about to go on your first date or am I just weird haha.

I do have one question. With my lee, I mounted it on the far right of my bench. Since it is a turret press everything happens on the left side of the press. For the 650 do you find that mounting it center of your work area is best or do you find yourself working mostly on one side of the press compared to the other? I think I am going to mount my center but just want to check. I will post some before and after pics!

Enjoy, and have fun. I did when I got mine.

As far as the location on your bench goes, I don't think it really matters (left, or right) as long as you're not so far back from the edge that the handle contacts the benchtop on the downstroke, 

Load 'em up! :D

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:31 AM, Arlin said:

Sig0431:

Did you get the brass you needed?  If not let me know and I will send you what you need for the price of the shipping.

Arlin

Not yet. I did have one member who said he was sending me some so we will see this week. I appreciate the offer. This is why I love this community.

10 minutes ago, Banacek said:

Post a picture already so we can all tell you what you did wrong.  

hahah I love the "so we can tell you what you did wrong" I am waiting on the inline mounting plate, ergo handle and a few other items to arrive today. I should have pictures uploaded by Wed and would love feedback. My old press was mounted on the far right. I may leave it on the right for a week of so then replace my workbench top to I can mount it towards the middle. I am OCD as hell so it would drive me nuts having the old holes showing on my workbench.  

Here is what my area did look like. This is a older image but you will get the idea.

Reloading Press.jpg

3 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Two questions. Are you selling guns for Atlas now, and why did you paint your 650 red? :D 

haha I wish I was selling guns for Atlas. That is just inspiration. I have removed the monitor from my reloading area as it became a distraction at time. That was the before pic that I said I would upload, The after pic will come within the next 2 days.

Isn’t it a great thing that’s there so still stuff people really get excited about buying.....and even more excited when it’s set up and running????..........there ain’t much stuff like this left anymore..........Thanks Dillon...

Congratulations on your 650.

I had a 650 about 10 years ago but due to life changes ended up selling it.

When I got back into shooting I bought a 550 (trying to save a little $) - the 550 is nice.  However, if I were to do it again, I'd have spent the extra money and went with the 650.

I believe you chose wisely

R_bench11.jpg

Move your new press over at least six inches to the left.

I must be the oddball: I use the space to the right of the press more than the left!

You will love the starlight. Mine is great.

Lightly deburr the small primer hole in the vibraprime tray. I also drilled a small hole in the cover directly above it so that I can poke stuck primers back straight with a tiny allen wrench when they hang up.

Winchester primers do not play well with vibraprimes. S&B and CCI go through it like butter.

Winchesters tend to sometimes not be quite perfectly round until they’re pressed into a piece of brass.

Leave the little primer tube adapter thingy out of your vibraprime and just stick the bare aluminum primer feed tubes up into it and hold them centered. Barehand works fine and it’s faster.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Leave at least enough room of the right side of the press for the width of 2 akro bins. One for catching finished rounds if you want to use a larger bin and I use the other to store several filled primer tubes in ready to refill primers. 

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:08 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Move your new press over at least six inches to the left.

I must be the oddball: I use the space to the right of the press more than the left!

You will love the starlight. Mine is great.

Lightly deburr the small primer hole in the vibraprime tray. I also drilled a small hole in the cover directly above it so that I can poke stuck primers back straight with a tiny allen wrench when they hang up.

Winchester primers do not play well with vibraprimes. S&B and CCI go through it like butter.

Winchesters tend to sometimes not be quite perfectly round until they’re pressed into a piece of brass.

Leave the little primer tube adapter thingy out of your vibraprime and just stick the bare aluminum primer feed tubes up into it and hold them centered. Barehand works fine and it’s faster.

Great information! I was getting irritated with mine and go figure I am using Winchester primers. Going to pick up some CCI today! I also love the idea of drilling the hole in the top to fix stuck primers!

I realized real early that the fill tubes that come with the device cause a lot of issues, I just pull the yellow top off my Dillon tubes and fill directly into them.

19 hours ago, nhjeffs said:

Got it roughed in. Rounds slip out of the case gauge nicely. Now I need to set up the powder drop and clean the work bench up.

IMG_20180306_222338_01.jpg

I am so torn on the mini bullet feeder. I ordered the powder check with mine that is sitting in that station. I may build the famous $28 bullet feeder and try it out for a while.

Finally got some time to organize the bench with the new XL650. Still have a fair amount of work to do. I am very OCD so the area is still stressing me. I got the crud catcher from Dillon upgrades and I am not thrilled with it. The crud catchers could line up with the holes on the case feeder better and I would prefer to have the primer tubes hanging off the front of the case feeder instead of the back so I may be removing this and looking for another primer tube mount or holder.

Over all I love the XL650. I am still working out little kinks here and there like the brass not lining up with station one and hitting the die. I have tried the recommendations offered here but it seems that the device that pushes the shell into the shell holder pulls the case black slightly every now and then so I may have to look at the HotShot case lube and any lube that may be on the press that may case the case to stick at times and pull back slightly. I will try and grab a video or pictures of this over the weekend.

1.thumb.jpg.b56242fd896825b2d715057fc2cf2f0d.jpg  2.thumb.jpg.e23978fa9cd850a3429ae780dd940f7e.jpg3.thumb.jpg.e3fcd5f5993bd7adf30309201dcbb165.jpg

I like it. Looks real good, so far.

Question. Is it a tool chest your press is mounted to, and if so, does it have wheels? The only reason I ask is these things tend to run their best when on a rock solid base.

What will happen is you'll tinker with it and load, tinker and load, and then one day it'll start running like John Force's Camaro. And that will be that. :)

Agreed.

Slide the top drawers out of your cart and lag it into two of your studs with a couple of long wood scews. Slide a section of 2x4 or something between it and the wall if you need a spacer for some reason.

I cannot over-emphasize how astonishing the difference was between a 150lb workbench built with 6 4x4 legs... and a much smaller one that’s bolted heavily to the wall behind it.

My ammo even has more consistent OALs because nothing is flexing.

7 hours ago, MikieM said:

Question. Is it a tool chest your press is mounted to, and if so, does it have wheels? The only reason I ask is these things tend to run their best when on a rock solid base.

What will happen is you'll tinker with it and load, tinker and load, and then one day it'll start running like John Force's Camaro. And that will be that. :)

no thats not all, then the urge to upgrade to a 1050 hits and the 650 gets a bigger brother lol

ask me how I know lol

9 hours ago, noexcuses said:

no thats not all, then the urge to upgrade to a 1050 hits and the 650 gets a bigger brother lol

ask me how I know lol

You're absolutely right. Same thing happened to me, as well.

23 hours ago, MikieM said:

Nope not a cart and not on wheels. It is a Kobalt Workbench from Lowes.

6936945604024.thumb.jpg.9299a257cefb9b465613412cedc16436.jpg