Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Unlimited slide milling

USCSBarney

Looking to get into the Unlimited game. Wondering what slide, bald, Novak or Bomar could be used to be milled for a red dot? Looking to go slide mounted as I have the parts already and price savings compared to an full blown Open gun. I have a bomar to use but don’t know if the existing milling would allow it to be flattened out for the dot. Probably going Venum or Delta. 

Also, anyone know if a smith the does 1911/2011 slide milling for dots. Fusion is the only one I have for sure found. 

Thanks in advance.

Any of them will work.  Not tracking on a gunsmith that does that because that's usually the polymer framed gun crowd that does that.  If this is a competition gun, you're not going to save much money if any by having it slide mounted.  A frame mount can be had for cheap, and drilling holes in the frame is pretty easy compared to milling a slide for a red dot.  Performance-wise, it's going to be much better off on the frame as well.

Also what parts do you have if you don’t have the slide or optic?

youre really talking about a carry optics type setup and not “open” unless you’re going to put a comp on it.  

Fusion is really more of a manufacturer than a smith and if you have a 2011 buying a mulled slide isn’t going to be like buying a glock milled slide. Aka it won’t work, save money, or even fit on your frame unless a gunsmith “fits” every part together individually and creates a system that works.

a good 1911/2011 isn’t an Ak, AR, or a glock, Nor is it a gun that has “drop in” parts available that are likely going to work in any particular gun.

just a heads up on what you’re asking

Oh I know about the fitting of parts trust me. Have delt with a custom builder before. Merely asking about the slide as I don’t know a smith that does that operation (milling for a red dot on the slide) for a 2011. All the parts I have are CK and would have to be fit. The barrel is a Shuemann Island barrel and would already take much of the slide weight out once fit. I know I am talking about a Carry Optics type build. I am trying to avoid buying a new barrel and slide if I can as I am going to shoot minor loads through it in 3 Gun. Failing eyes and the PT Honcho gave me the idea. 

Edited by USCSBarney

1 hour ago, USCSBarney said:

Oh I know about the fitting of parts trust me. Have delt with a custom builder before. Merely asking about the slide as I don’t know a smith that does that operation (milling for a red dot on the slide) for a 2011. All the parts I have are CK and would have to be fit. The barrel is a Shuemann Island barrel and would already take much of the slide weight out once fit. I know I am talking about a Carry Optics type build. I am trying to avoid buying a new barrel and slide if I can as I am going to shoot minor loads through it in 3 Gun. Failing eyes and the PT Honcho gave me the idea. 

I think you will regret having a slide mtd optic on a 2011 about the time you first shoot it. Drilling frame and mounting is easy. Also what happens when you want to change optics?

also a good Smith can turn and thread the island barrel and build a mid length comp gun if you wanted.

• 4 weeks later...

As an added crinkle to the issue and to get around some of the issues drewbeck brought up, is there an adapter plate anyone knows of for a 1911 slide? Fusion makes one for the RMR but I am not keen on taking things apart to change the battery. I have left messages with STI about the ones they use for HOST/Omni but haven’t heard back as of yet.