Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor Dry Fire procedure

Mcfoto

https://apnews.com/amp/380ebef8bd464641b0599419f9ab3fef?__twitter_impression=true

Police: Man's target practice leaves bulletholes in walls

CAPE CORAL, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a Florida man who was taking target practice in his home was arrested after bullets went through the wall into his neighbors' apartment.

Cape Coral police news releasesays 61-year-old Ivan Bakh was arrested Sunday and charged with firing a weapon in public and shooting into a dwelling.

Police say Bakh's neighbors called them Sunday morning after awaking to a loud bang and finding holes in their bedroom and living room walls.

When officers went to Bakh's apartment, they reported seeing holes in the wall he shared with his neighbors, as well as several books taped together with a red target drawn on them. Police say they also found a loaded 9mm handgun...

So he used some books as a backstop. 

It begs the question, did his homemade backstop fail to catch the bullets or did he miss his backstop? 

If the books do stop his bullets, how many times did he practice before he finally missed the books and scared the crap out of his neighbors by punching holes in the walls?

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I can see (possibly) firing a .22 inside your home using a book or two as a backstop,

BUT, a 9 mm ?    :ph34r:

I work in education and actually experimented at the range once and found that school textbooks will consistently stop a .223 fired at relatively close range.  if the round is fired at the spine, then the the bullet can sneak between the pages and go through.  Fired at the face, though... you'd be surprised.  My thought was that a book shelf with a class set of books stored in front of exposed walls and windows could serve as an ad-hoc barrier against stray bullets in the event of a campus shooting.  I was also curious how effective a backpack with textbooks in it could be as a form protection.  After that testing, I advise my daughter that if shooting breaks out on campus, get into a locked room, put on her backpack, and curl up on the floor facing the wall with her backpack directed outwards towards the shots.  

Having said all of that, the rounds I tested may have been hollowpoints, however.  I don't recall what I used since it's been awhile, but I used what I had on hand, which was probably 77gr SMK's.  Also, when I say textbook, think:  the old hardcover ones that broke our backs carrying back and forth from home, not new-style disposable workbooks.  

NOTE:  For legal reasons I feel obligated to point out to idiots that I'm not recommending using books as a purpose built backstop or bulletproof vest, LOL, but I am saying that my testing indicated that it's possible for a book to stop a more powerful bullet than you might expect, and when SHTF you use what you've got.  

Tula 223 55gr FMJ ammo versus Midway Master Catalog at 65 yards. The catalog was just propped up, nothing behind it, and it didn't even get knocked over. The pages were taped tight shut. Ammo went completely through. Many years ago, i shot a large phone book with a 30-30...and that did not penetrate, but 30-30 is very slow and much larger than a 223.

20180223_102253.jpg

20180223_102304.jpg

20180223_102312.jpg

56 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

I advise my daughter   put on her backpack, and curl up on the floor facing the wall with her backpack directed outwards towards the shots.  

WOW !!!

That's the first sensible thing I've read on this topic since the last shooting (or actually for the past

20 years)    :bow:

Thanks for the great tip   :) 

26 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Great, Grump.  Looks like a 6" group at 65 yards - have the scope turned up to 8x ?    :P

Wasn't trying for accuracy Jack, merely for hits. Having all the rounds impacting in the same place would defeat the purpose of the test, don't you think?

45 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Tula 223 55gr FMJ ammo versus Midway Master Catalog at 65 yards. The catalog was just propped up, nothing behind it, and it didn't even get knocked over. The pages were taped tight shut. Ammo went completely through. Many years ago, i shot a large phone book with a 30-30...and that did not penetrate, but 30-30 is very slow and much larger than a 223.

20180223_102253.jpg

20180223_102304.jpg

20180223_102312.jpg

See, that's why I always recommend Brownells...   JUST KIDDING!!!

FYI, that catalog is closer in size and paper quality to the consumables I was talking about vs. actual textbooks.  The books I tested on were twice that thickness and had library-grade hardcovers on either side.  And I probably used hollowpoints, not that good Russian shtuff.  If my memory serves, I think the rounds penetrated almost completely through with one literally stuck in the rear cover.  Again, I'm not at all saying that I'd recommend it as a go-to barrier, but a couple thick textbooks layered on top of each other will stop rounds way better than drywall and wishes.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...