Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Hacks

dirty5thirty

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:10 AM, johnbu said:

Better (narrow) dawson front fiber post.

Patriot Defense grips

10 hours of polishing

10,000 hours of dry fire

that will just about guarantee a GM card and many wins

Dawson front sight are the worst. They need an allen wrench so thin that it breaks easily, leaving the broken piece inside the screw. A buddy of mine had this problem. Emailed Dawson about this problem and they charge $45 to solve this problem. My buddy just drilled the front sight to remove it. This front sight design is a joke. 

Edited by happygunner77

6 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

Dawson front sight are the worst. They need an allen wrench so thin that it breaks easily, leaving the broken piece inside the screw. A buddy of mine had this problem. Emailed Dawson about this problem and they charge $45 to solve this problem. My buddy just drilled the front sight to remove it. This front sight design is a joke. 

Glad he got it drilled out!!

If he ever decides to give it another try:

1. Make sure the allen screw is long enough, I had one that would screw all the way down through the bottom of the sight.

2. Scar the edges of the sight enough so that you need to tap it a bit to install it.

3. I put loctite red on the sight base & used loctite blue on the screw. Just enough torque on the screw to get it snug. If you ever had to remove the screw, the big boys tell me that loctite turns back to liquid at something like 170 F (from memory and a conversation with Dawson a couple years ago), so a good soldering iron should allow you to free things up.

I copied the above procedure from another thread on the forum somewhere & it seems to work aok, I think it is what Patriot Defense does but I could be remembering incorrectly, others can chime in, if a sight was purchased from Patriot Defense I bet they would be happy to tell you how they install them. 

I agree that with the stock 2 this is sort of like putting a square peg in a round hole.  

Your mileage may vary. 

On 2/24/2018 at 7:07 PM, war_material said:

I think I will give it a shot some day on my main. Maybe keep my backup/practice stock to keep the reloads challenging lol

This is exactly what I did.  I forgot to mention the magwell area. I didn't have the skills or guts to hog out the mag well so a friend did it.  My backup Stock 2 mag well is stock though.  I put in the Patriot Defense extended mag release.  Made the mags harder to insert so I took a needle file to the new release and its a lot smoother now. 

3 hours ago, oddjob said:

This is exactly what I did.  I forgot to mention the magwell area. I didn't have the skills or guts to hog out the mag well so a friend did it.  My backup Stock 2 mag well is stock though.  I put in the Patriot Defense extended mag release.  Made the mags harder to insert so I took a needle file to the new release and its a lot smoother now. 

where did u file on the new mag release?

On 2/24/2018 at 7:07 PM, war_material said:

OK....I'm right handed.  On the opposite side of the thumb release there is a little lip.  I had to break the sharp edge on the corner on the bottom to get the mags in easier.  I polished off the blue and used a marking pen.  Slid the mag in and out a few times and filed on the shiny spot.  Sorry I don't have pics.

Edited by oddjob

10 hours ago, oddjob said:

I "pre-fitted" mine.  Putting the old one back in.  I didn't want to wait until the last minute.  Been there and done that before!

You don't want to be "that guy" that gets to the match 30 minutes after installing a gaggle of new parts only to have malfunction after malfunction all day long?

Where's the adventure in that? LOL