Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 Zen extra heavy trigger spring and reduced power firing pin safety spring

taymag

If I get the Zev competition spring kit and Zev pro connector and dont use the reduced power firing pin spring (I'd rather avoid light primer strikes) is it going to change my results on the pull a lot?

Edited by taymag

Yes, adding both springs will reduce your pull significantly. The striker spring has the greatest reduction in pull. The trigger return spring affects the feel of the reset and makes the reset fell lighter but some describe it as mushy. I run the stock trigger spring for a crisper reset and I run a 4.5# striker spring. The 4.0# striker spring lightens the pull more but you can have light strikes with it occasionally (unless you run Federals) therefore I run a 4.5# springs for more consistent primer strikes. FWIW, a 4.5# spring will consistently set off CCI SPP. If you shoot and dry fire a lot you should count on replacing those springs at least 2X a season for improved reliability. 

My Glock pistols are, all, 'working guns'.  I use a 6 lb striker spring, a standard weight striker-safety spring, and a 6 lb trigger return spring.  (All of the 6# springs are Wolff 'Xtra Power'.)  My trigger pull weights (Which are NEVER truly consistent on a Glock.) vary between 4.9 and 5.2 lb.  I always laugh to myself whenever I read about the so-called 'mush' in a Glock trigger.  Nobody ever seems to appreciate that by using heavier or, alternatively, lighter striker-fired trigger mechanism springs that 'mush' (or 'additional take-up') actually works as an additional safety precaution on a Glock trigger mechanism that has been modified to fire and/or reset more readily than the standard factory design.  

In a typical year I'll fire off about 10 - 12 thousand pistol rounds.  I shoot my Glocks just fine.  Why?  Because it's always been more a matter of me getting used to the Glock (Which I admit has a slightly improved trigger mechanism, OK.) rather than heavily modifying the Glock with all sorts of really expensive trigger gizmos that are never going to make anybody into a truly better pistolero, anyway.  For operational reasons, Jeff Cooper used to always say to keep your gun(s) as close to standard configuration as possible.  Mas Ayoob always says the same thing, too, but for different (specifically legal) reasons.   

The only real way I know to improve a gun's firing characteristics is to, simply, use it more.  Personally, I've still got the standard (but, again, slightly modified) Glock trigger bars in my pistols; and they work so well that there is no way I could justify 'going for my lungs' on one of these outrageously high-priced custom Glock trigger setups that I'm always reading about, or receiving special discounted offers to purchase.  The two heavier springs mentioned above, and a good '25 trigger job' give me Glock triggers that operated more than well enough!  

As one of my home area's leading gunsmiths once said to me as he handed my Glock back after firing off an entire magazine, 'Well, I don't know what you did to it; but it, sure as hell, ain't no Glock — Very nice trigger!'  (Yeah, and all it took was a mere $10 bucks worth of improvement!)  :P