Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt- MPX

11 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: That is a lot of wear on the bolt for just 1000 rounds. I have over 3000 and mine doesn't have that much wear. Also why is there a hammer pin in the pic? Did something else happen as well? I would send it back and see what Sig says. Thanks, Eric

Maybe that's a broken guide rod, not hammer pin? Maybe it broke along with the guide rod holder thing?

Call Sig and they will have you send in a pic.  They may well send you a bolt just on the photo alone but I'm not promising that.  If that is 1,000 rounds on that bolt either there is something seriously misaligned or your friend is using gravel as lube.  I have over 7,000 on mine and it does not have that much wear.  Just saying the broken bolt may not be the problem but rather the result of a different problem.  That break looks like the result of a lateral load where there should not be a lateral load.  

Edited by Neomet
11 hours ago, Neomet said:

Call Sig and they will have you send in a pic.  They may well send you a bolt just on the photo alone but I'm not promising that.  If that is 1,000 rounds on that bolt either there is something seriously misaligned or your friend is using gravel as lube.  I have over 7,000 on mine and it does not have that much wear.  Just saying the broken bolt may not be the problem but rather the result of a different problem.  That break looks like the result of a lateral load where there should not be a lateral load.  

No they will not send or sell the bolt- 

54 minutes ago, Rolex said:

As good of a product as it may be, that is an unacceptable policy.  Your gun/shooting is out of commission for 6+ weeks?

I would not buy a product that spare parts are not available for, regardless of how reliable it supposedly is.  

3 hours ago, Rolex said:

I'm not sure where you heard that. I bought a full bolt replacement from sig for my Gen 1 last year, but be ready to pay, it isn't cheap. Too the OP, contact Sig they will square you away. They will ask you to send them the whole gun though so they can see what happen.

The not selling parts was an issue of availability.  For a while Sig was selling every MPX they could build so were putting all parts into guns or warranty replacement.  That situation has improved quite a bit lately but I am not sure I would rely on that option completely.  

They sent me the compleat upgraded carrier / firing pin (with spring) assembly to upgrade my #1 gun..it is sitting as a spare,  I will shoot the original till it breaks. Loung lead times on replacement parts is why I have 2 MPX's. Primary and backup that is always how I have approached any division (Open, Limited...).I am not interested in trying to fix something on the range or not finish a match because I can't fix a problem.

On 2/22/2018 at 11:41 AM, Neomet said:

I think you misread my post.  You are correct that they won't sell you a bolt just because you want an extra, but they will send you one under warranty.  

No they will not- the gun has to go back-

On 2/22/2018 at 11:58 AM, DocMedic said:

I'm not sure where you heard that. I bought a full bolt replacement from sig for my Gen 1 last year, but be ready to pay, it isn't cheap. Too the OP, contact Sig they will square you away. They will ask you to send them the whole gun though so they can see what happen.

Right from Sig Sauer- 

1 hour ago, Rolex said:

No they will not- the gun has to go back-

Fair enough.  I've had them send me warranty parts based just on photos before including a bolt carrier.  None were such massive failures however so I can see them wanting to take a look at the gun.  

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly different issue but perhaps clarification on Sig not sending out updated/replacement bolts.  I just got off the phone with Sig after breaking a firing pin and after getting the new firing pin and noticing it didn't fit/work correctly.  So when I called Sig back they knew right away what was up, and I was told there's been a recent policy change and they are no longer allowed to send out updated bolt carriers anymore to users.   Users who have issues will be required to send the gun in for evaluation/update going forward.  Thankfully I have an old firing pin spare from when I first got my MPX but after that it will have to be back to Sig for the update.   However, once that fails, and it will since it's the whole reason they changed the design, it will have to be sent in.   Can't say that's very impressive to me, they know they made these updates due to broken firing pins, so to refuse to send the parts to customers with issues without sending the whole gun in is pretty poor CS.   I could see it if it was a part that had to be fitted or there was a safety concern etc. but they've apparently been sending these update bolt/firing pin kits out for almost a year now.

Edited by toddm

Unfortunately that's a no-go.  See early Gen 2 MPX's game with a free floating firing pin that was ~2.733" in length.  At some point after many firing pin breakages they changed the bolt carrier and went to a firing pin with a spring that was ~2.677" long.  The ILWT firing pin, and only available firing pins from Sig are the new shorter 2.677" from what I've seen posted and probably why the say "Gen II MPX's that came with firing pin spring from the factory. "  as early Gen 2's did not have a firing pin spring.   It used to be when this happened you could call Sig up and they would send you a updated bolt carrier with the new spring/firing pin, because the new shorter firing pin would not reliably ignite primers when used in the older Gen 2 bolt carrier so the carrier required replacing as well.    That policy has changed so anyone now with the older gen 2 bolt carrier/firing pin will need to send it into Sig for the update. 

Not sure why the policy has been changed, perhaps they need to inspect something else in the update, or people were just calling up to get a spare bolt/firing pin without actually having an issue. 

I've had several Sigs over the last 30 years, but, never had to actually call Sig for anything.

I bought an MPX, and liked it enough to buy a second one.

I bought an xfive, with a Romeo1 on it, about a month ago, and the optic crapped out after I had it for a day. I still don't have it back from warranty.

I guess if I'm going to shoot any of the newer Sigs, I need to have a backup, because their warranty isn't at all quick.

Wouldn't you think with our USPSA president being a big dog at Sig, they would take better care of shooters?

Yeah, I've heard there have been a lot of Romeo 1 problems recently, dying basically right out of the box so it must be something significant.  They might be having a hard time replacing/fixing them quickly due to the volume of returns.   It might explain why they've been blowing them out recently too. 

Unfortunately, the last few years Sig's QC and customer service have been hit and miss at best.  I expect it to get even worse now that uncle sam is their biggest customer. 

• 3 months later...

So little fun he other day and had issues with my mpx not extracting. Tore it down and cleaned the hell out of it. Noticed there was play in the recoil rod arm and started looking a little closer. 

There js is a crack in my carrier as well as in the bolt it appears. I also have heavy peening on one lug of the bolt and my ejection port has a chunk out of it. 

Sig has requested the upper back to repair. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/diF1ZMP