Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Length

Chuck D

If you were going to run a .223/5.56 in excess of 250yds what barrel length and manufacturer would you recommend ?

Would you install a muzzle brake/compensator on the barrel as well or just eliminate it ?

Thank you .

I'd suggest 18" as a minimum, could go to 24".  A lot depends on what you are going to use it for.  If a run and gun game I would not go over 18", coyote hunting the 24" would be fine.  Same with the comp, they basically help with rapid shot recovery, if not planning on that then no comp would be fine.

14.5"-18". Won't make a difference inside of 400.

I have barrels from 10.5" to 22" with most lengths in between. The 10.5 does fine to 350, after which the accuracy of your range estimation becomes critical. The 16" gets shot the most, I don't feel the need for the 22" till I go past 750 yards and that has more to do with the higher magnification optic than the barrel length.

Edited by TonytheTiger

What is the maximum range you expect to see? PRS gas gun matches go to 800 last I knew but there's plenty of movement and it looks like most guys prefer the mobility of an 18-20" mid weight barrel to the slight velocity gained by using a truck axle of a barrel. If you're building a hybrid match/hunting gun I'd go 18". It's a good balance of weight/length, you'll get most of the velocity available in the cartridge and you get the lower recoil, better brass life and extra load tuning wiggle room of a rifle length gas system.

I run a JP 22" barrel (+  comp) in Tactical division of PRS. Gas gun division is a different animal. Ranges are limited by rule. In the tac division you shoot the same course of fire as the open shooters and their bolt guns. That means going beyond what most would consider effective range for a .223. You need all the barrel you can get.

Edited by 38superman

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 11:44 AM, TonytheTiger said:

14.5"-18". Won't make a difference inside of 400.

I have barrels from 10.5" to 22" with most lengths in between. The 10.5 does fine to 350, after which the accuracy of your range estimation becomes critical. The 16" gets shot the most, I don't feel the need for the 22" till I go past 750 yards and that has more to do with the higher magnification optic than the barrel length.

+1 on most of this. Quality Ammo and barrel will surprise you. 

I have an 18” I shoot in PRS matches that runs great to 900 and 16” would do 600yd’s just fine

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...