Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power X-Calibur vs. Canik tp9sfx vs. Walther Q5 Match

I've been doing the research and I'm getting ready to dive into the world of handgun competition. USPSA production and Super Steel are the ones that I'll be aiming for. I've been bouncing back and forth between the Grand Power X-Calibur, the Walther Q5 Match and the Canik TP9SFX. I've got rather large hands. I've been directed to the G34 and a few other glocks but I'm honestly not a huge glock guy but I'm open to arguments as to why I should change my mind. There's also the far off chance I might consider the CZ Shadow 2 but I'd rather keep it under 800(dealer's cost). As I've said since I'm new I'm honestly not sure where I should be right now. I've been shooting handguns for over 20 years but it's all been bullseye or paper. I'd love for some input as to what you guys think out of those 3. 

I have both a Grand Power X Calibur and TP9SFX. Between the 2 I would go with the Grand Power. Love it. I also have 4 different Tanfoglios. The Grand Power recoils like a heavy steel gun but points fast due to it's actual weight. I'm a fan. But all the guns that you mentioned will do the job. It's the shooter not the gun. Get what works best for you and your budget. 

Edited by pfcchambers
Error

You don’t want a Q5 or a Canik if you have really large hands. I wear a large size glove, and very much fill the relatively short Q5 grip completely.

I like it, because the contour of the grip forces a very high grip even if I accidentally grip a bit low on the draw? It practically shoves my hand upward.

With a hand even larger? The gun would be a serious challenge.

Plus 1 to what Memphis said. My buddy shoots a ppq, I have very large hands and with his ppq my hand was almost falling off the lower portion. It did not feel good at all to me. The Canik fits me better but with my Tp9sfx I have to wrap my support finger around the trigger guard or I hit the slide lock. Which sucks in idpa. 

Well it seems like it's between the Grand Power and Glock 34. Still not sure on the CZ because of the price. I'm really pulled the Grand Power and I can get one for around 650. I'm thinking I might be on that route. Though I might just give up against my Glock distaste and go down that road. 

If I had shot an X Calibur before I owned I'll my Tanfoglios I would probably only own Grand Powers. In my opinion it's far superior to a Glock. The only thing the Glock has is unlimited aftermarket support. But literally the X Calibur is good to go from the factory. Fantastic trigger. Only better stock SA/DA I've felt is a shadow 2. But it's not 400 plus dollars better. 

3 hours ago, thebigbeardedchef said:

Thanks for that info. I've never fretted this much over a gun purchase but it seems like this will be my last "big" purchase for a good while. Wife wants to start saving for having a kid so this gun will be my last big purchase for the foreseeable future. 

If you're wanting to save money, you better turn and run now before you get in too deep.

The gun is the cheap part.

Edited by LeviSS

12 hours ago, thebigbeardedchef said:

The add on after is not the worry. Parts andMags and a holster won’t looks as bad as a new gun to her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are even cheaper and not what he is talking about I think. Ammo is the cost that really adds up over time. Match fees (and associated travel stuff [gas, wear/tear on vehicle, hotel, etc]) probably come in second I would think. 

Match fees where I'll be shooting mainly are discounted on my membership and the ammo cost isn't a worry because I'll have dealer discounts. Once I get to where I'll be traveling outside of my area it'll be a different story but I have two ranges near me one which is peacemaker national training center so the traveling portion won't be coming up for a while. 

Unless you're worried about winning matches at higher levels, get whatever makes you smile and have fun.  I spent a lot of time trying to find the perfect "arrow".  It doesn't exist.  

If you're asking for a vote, I do really like the Xcal, but I shoot a CZ and M&P.

I'm honestly trying to get one now that I'm not going want to trade out within 6 months of shooting which is how I feel about going with the Glock or the M&P. Xcal is probably going to be my choice but next weekend I'll know for sure when I get a chance to watch a competition and shoot the steel without having to join into the competition.  

If you can handle the wait, it would really be worth your while to save and get a CZ. I really don't think you would want to get rid of it in 6 months. If you don't want to wait, I am sure you will enjoy the ones you mentioned. Just my .02.

• 2 weeks later...

I have all 3 and used to have shadow target , shooting Xcalibur in production and XTrim in IDPA , for the money I don't think you gonna find better bang for the buck. 

I have bunch of videos on all 3 of them on my YouTube channel 

I have all 3 and used to have shadow target , shooting Xcalibur in production and XTrim in IDPA , for the money I don't think you gonna find better bang for the buck. 
I have bunch of videos on all 3 of them on my YouTube channel 
Which YouTube channel are we tuning into?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favor and not try to reinvent the wheel with these flash in the pan guns. GP came out, fanboys jumped onboard, then STI stopped supporting it, no parts no mags, or sky high mag prices. Canik is a rattle box,,, yeh same thing got their fan club then almost immediately bunch of used for sale.
Production is dominated by a handful of guns and while you ca be successful with other platform there is a reason those few guns dominate.
Go to th efactory gun sub forum and just look at the thread counts.
Glock, CZ, Tanfoglio, Smith &Wesson M&P's.
Cheap readily available parts, all the experimenting is done , so no need to explore spring setups that work., mags easy to find, lots of aftermarket support. Heck lots of spare parts in folks bags if ur gun goes down at a match

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Do yourself a favor and not try to reinvent the wheel with these flash in the pan guns. GP came out, fanboys jumped onboard, then STI stopped supporting it, no parts no mags, or sky high mag prices. Canik is a rattle box,,, yeh same thing got their fan club then almost immediately bunch of used for sale.
Production is dominated by a handful of guns and while you ca be successful with other platform there is a reason those few guns dominate.
Go to th efactory gun sub forum and just look at the thread counts.
Glock, CZ, Tanfoglio, Smith &Wesson M&P's.
Cheap readily available parts, all the experimenting is done , so no need to explore spring setups that work., mags easy to find, lots of aftermarket support. Heck lots of spare parts in folks bags if ur gun goes down at a match

Not sure where you get your info , but EI has plenty of parts. Mags are little expensive , but so are original CZ or Walther or STI 

On 2/19/2018 at 9:10 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

You don’t want a Q5 or a Canik if you have really large hands. I wear a large size glove, and very much fill the relatively short Q5 grip completely.

I like it, because the contour of the grip forces a very high grip even if I accidentally grip a bit low on the draw? It practically shoves my hand upward.

With a hand even larger? The gun would be a serious challenge.

So why not the Canik if you have large hands?  The Canik has a completely different grip than the PPQ, much larger.  You can use Canik mags in a PPQ but you can't uses the PPQ mags in a Canik (too short).