Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Production Rules

Cahamp

1 hour ago, OdinIII said:

Not trying to argue but the ruling is clear. Plastic plugs weighing less than .5 ounces are allowed. Since anything not specifically allowed is illegal then anything not plastic and adding significant weight is illegal unless the ruling doesn’t apply after the rule changes. I’m sure you won’t get caught but I don’t see how the Seattle Plug can be legal under the current rules.

Please quote that rule. I just read the entire appendix and can’t find that. I would think that old ruling is null and void.

Edited by Sarge

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please quote that rule. I just read the entire appendix and can’t find that.

It’s a ruling by the NROI

https://uspsa.org/nroi/rulings

Look for appendix D4 #22

Maybe it carries no weight now with the new rules, I honestly don’t know but it is still on the site. The way I understand the production rules are if it doesn’t say you can do it then you can’t.

I wanted to do the same thing as mentioned above to add weight to my G34 but just couldn’t figure out a way that I could defend the slug if challenged.

Please point out and quote the rule stating a plug has to be plastic and under /5 ounces.  We are talking USPSA Production right?

How is the "ruling is clear" compared to this context? The SeattleSlug in stock form is illegal due its shape becoming a magwell below the grip (mini magwell chute). By grinding a piece of brass or any material to the same external shape of a plastic snap in flush plug, it is in effect a new conforming product. Not a Seattle Slug anymore, which was just the raw material. FWIW the Thug Plug could be argued legal... its basically the same idea. Not sure the profile is flush fitting to grip enough for me, that's why i ground down a Seatle Slug to make it 100% flush. Not trying to break rules, I'm trying to follow them.

And in addition, anything under the allowed  +4 ounce weight limit for the gun is legal in production, assuming its legal by all the other points.   To be clear I only did this AFTER the May 15 change that allows up to 4 ounces over stock. The rule doesn't say where you can't put the weight. No where in the rule about Seattle Slugs or grip plugs do they say they have to made of plastic, or how much they can weigh. Only the shape. See below from the May 15 2018 update:

18 Maximum weight - Yes. 4 ounces with empty magazine inserted over OFM weight listed on approved pistol list
22.3 External Plugs (such as SeattleSlug) -  External plugs which alter the grip profile or extend past the bottom of the
grip are PROHIBITED.

Maybe I’m just a stickler for rules to be very clear with no opportunity for misinterpretation.

I can’t see where the current rules say you can use a plastic or brass flush plug so if the ruling is null and void then how are we supposed to know that we can use a plug of any kind?

I’m just trying to play by the rules.

This is why I dislike Production.

We clean up the rules with new less ambiguous language, and allow 4 ounces over stock, but an NROI ruling made 3 years before  the changes to the 5/15/18 rulebook is now going to override the rulebook? ?

Guess someone needs to write the NROI and challenge each "ruling" that is out of step with the new rules. 

Please note that this ruling you quote is from the old rulebook to enforce the "significant weight" portion of the quoted rule - which is now conspicuously absent from the current rulebook (see my earlier post above.)

I believe that makes this Ruling invalid now. I guess I could be wrong.... you just never know what you'll get from the NROI sometimes.

Effective:
Sep 17, 2015
Rule:
Appendix D4 #22.
Applies to:
Pistol
Ruling Authority:
John Amidon/Troy McManus
Released

Question:
Can I now insert the plastic plug in my Glock and will it be legal for Production division?

Ruling:
The plastic plug that fits flush (extends no more than 0.10") with the heel of the grip is allowed. Plugs that extend below the heel like the Scherer polymer slug plug or other similar models are not allowed. Metal, brass or the Seattle Slug plugs are not allowed either. \\\\r\\\\nExternal plugs which alter the grip profile or extend past the bottom of the grip are PROHIBITED. Plugs which add significant weight to the gun are PROHIBITED.\\\\r\\\\n\\\\r\\\\nSpecial Notes/Clarifications:\\\\r\\\\n\\\\r\\\\nPer existing NROI ruling, a plastic plug which fits flush (+/- 0.1”) with heel of the grip IS allowed.\\\\r\\\\n\\\\r\\\\nFor purposes of this interpretation, a plug weighing more than 0.5 ounce is considered “adding significant weight”. Applies to any Production Division firearm.

• 3 weeks later...
For Gen4 G34 may add Hyve extended mag release, might re-look stippling options. Definitely relieve trigger guard for Glock knuckle.
So basically this is Limited 10 minor without a mag Well?

Any ideas if this will work on a gen5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk