Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using hollow point bullets for revolver competition .

Bjacq

On 2/18/2018 at 1:11 PM, Bjacq said:

I am new at shooting a revolver in steel challenge and walls of steel. I’d like to know if using round bullets or hollow point bullets make a difference in the speed loading process with moon clips?.

Round nose bullets make reloading much easier, there is no flat spot on the front to get caught on the cylinder, the pointier the profile the better for reloading. 

23 hours ago, Bjacq said:

Do you load your overall length shorter in your revolver for faster  reload purposes? 

I reload with short colt brass for faster reloads and easier ejection, probably more for the ejection than the loading, also with shorter brass you can get away with less tight moonclips because the shorter rounds do not wobble as much. 

within any specific length of brass 38spl, long colt short colt whatever I would not worry about the OAL in terms of reload speed. 

we (my wife and I ) currently load 147 Eggleston coated bullets sized 358 and they work great in our V-comps

I forgot to say we used blue bullets or whoever was cheapest unroll my wife saw some purple ones and egglston is the only place I found making them.
We also used a case of the Montana gold 142gr bullets they are not round nose nut a pointy cone shape with a very small flat. So far our guns have shot better than us with any of the 358 bullets we have fed them.
For steel challenge I would probably go to a lighter bullet just because they are cheaper and with no power factor you can load them very soft

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

If things go as planned in Steel Challenge, you shouldn't have to do any reloads on the clock. ;)

But +1 on the round nose bullets.  Most revolver shooters I know use round nose of some weight or maker.

Lots of round gun information in the Revolver Forum too. 

A good hollow point will shoot tighter groups on paper with the proper load but since you only need minute-of-plate accuracy there is no problem shooting round nose.  If you  do need to make that dreaded reload you can be assured it will be faster with round nosed bullets.  I've been shooting revolver for Steel Challenge for  30 years.  It was much more challenging with a 6 shot revolver.  I learned accuracy and can count on my fingers the number of reloads I had to make at a match.

I've shot revolver in USPSA for fun (and BOY will you be reloading!). A tapered-nose semi-wad cutter or any rounded hollow point / solid point definitely reloads easier than a flat wad cutter. A slight taper on the mouth of each cylinder chamber helps tremendously too, (it doesn't have to look like a funnel to be effective).

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes in reloading it does make a difference.  For steel challenge with an 8 shot you shouldn't have to reload, a 6 shot, better have rn bullets.  In walls of steel I'd go with rn bullets.

Get good moon clips, Dave Hearthco is a member here and his items are premium.