Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help me spend my money - optics

Woodsk

I can't decide between the PST II and the Razor HD II. I know that the razor is a superior scope, but I'm not sure I need it. My local clubs only goes to 300 yards and I'm not traveling anywhere this year that will be any further. 

I've been using a strike eagle along with a cataract in my right eye which is getting fixed on 3/1 so really either on will be a big upgrade. 

19 minutes ago, Garmil said:

if youre used to a strike eagle a pst gen ii is going to be a big upgrade for sure. razor is better but not twice as good to justify twice the price.

That is what I am thinking, especially since I shot all last season with a cataract thinking that the strike eagle really sucked. I know the razor is better but is it really 2x better

ETA: I also suck at 3gun, I love it, but I suck

Edited by Woodsk

If you can afford it buy the razor. You never ever say man I wish I didn’t spend the money in this. But you do always wonder what it would have been like to buy it if you didn’t. I went from s strike Eagle to s razor 

I was running a SWARO Z6i 1-6 second focal plane.   I moved this year to Trijicon Accupower 1-8 FirstFocal Plane.   I bought my from Euro Sport Optics, but had a 10% off coupon for Optics Planet from Jessie Tichauser I was going to use.  Both choices the scope was $1200.   FFP is a necessary evil.  I had been running at less than 6x  and didn’t realize the BDC holds were not the same as at 6x with the SFP scope.   The extra Magnificaiton lets me call my shots a little better in the wind.  

I started shooting 3 gun 1.5 yrs ago.  Was going to be a local shooter (we have 400-600 in monthly matches) but wen to 5 majors last year.   

I have heard the buy once cry once motto.   As of now I think with all the options out there if you are not at 1-8, your behind the curve

Good luck

Kerry,

Which reticle are you looking at?  I think the reticle is the most important part of the scope and all of my scopes are Mils  now.  I'm a Bushnell fan.  I have 2 1-8.5 and luckily, I found the 2nd one for $1k.  For me, it's not about is it enough, it's about I got it if I need it.  Great shooters will clean house with 1x but stage conditions could change that require higher magnification. 

Peter

BTW, I prefer First Focal plane too.

Edited by poortrader

2 hours ago, rondog said:

Can someone elaborate on first focal vs second focal plane differences? 

Dont mean to hijack thread but I’m looking into upgrading optics also. 

A First Focal Plane, the reticle increased and decreases in size as the power changes. The BDC is the same regardless of power. Second Focal Plane, the reticle is constant in size and the BDC is only calibrated at maximum power.

Another vote for the Trijicon Accupower 1-8. The clarity of the glass is very good, in my opinion better than the Vortex. I also prefer the segmented circle reticle to the dot BDC. Both are daylight bright but the Trijicon offers more flexibility with a segmented circle in my opinion. Eye relief, field of view and weight are all similar between the 2. The Trijicon simply is a better product. 

I have been extremely happy with all of my Trijicon optics. Everything I have from Trijicon I trust to function every time, regardless of how I mistreat it. 

On 2/19/2018 at 8:53 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Do you need 8x at up to 300 yards, but not beyond ?

Or, is a 1 - 6 x enough ?

Need, and want are 2 different things.  There are folks shooting limited with a 1x Vortex Spitfire at 600 yard targets.   I think you will find the industry standard will now be 1-8 moving forward.  Lots of manufacturers have started coming out with them.

On 2/22/2018 at 12:07 AM, orangeman711 said:

Wait until after your eye surgery then look at them again, things change with your eye after implants.

This is probably a good idea, I will hold off buying until after the surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the PST Gen II, took it to the range today to zero it. Good thing vortex has a unlimited lifetime warranty. Tried it on two rifles and and it is totally messed up. Vortex already sent the shipping label.

tried to get it on paper using 2 different rifles even at 25 yards using the entire travel on both elevation and windage could not get it on paper. 

and to double check I put an MRO on each rifle and zeroed it with in 5 shots on each. 

Called vortex on the way back from the range, sent the RMA while I was still driving.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what your issue was while zeroing but I shot my buddy's pst gen ii 1-6 back to back with my razor 1-6 and there was not much of a difference at 1x and 6x. The dot was the same the reticle was different (Jm-1 in mine). I'm not an optics expert and do know that the difference in glass quality would be more apparent in low light but for 3gun I'm not sure the razor is worth 2x as much but I also don't have any plans to sell my razor and buy a pst. My advise for anyone else going through the same mental masturbation is to look through and play with each side by side. Then, decide how much value you put on the better internals and durability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best for 3-Gun / IPSC Rifle right now, my personal opinion ( backed up with what the top is using at least on this side of the pond )

1-6x, Swarovski Z6i or Kahles K16i

1-8x Swarovski Z8i

Steiner is coming out with a new 1-8x, took a look during Enforce Tac expo in Germany, this one had FFP reticle with a dot far too big for sporting use.

However, it is quite likely it will be available in SFP. Looking at it otherwise, if it has a good SFP reticle, it will be a serious contender.

On 3/24/2018 at 8:11 AM, xdr said:

What about the Nightforce NX8 1-8? Anyone using it?

Looking for some thoughts on this scope as well. TO ME it seems to have the best combination of everything you could ask for in a 3 gun scope.