Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

m2 issue

93notch

I just recently  got a M2 set up for open class 3 gun. I am working on learning to load this thing with the xrail. But the issue i am running into is that when cycling the bolt by hand it will stick in the rear position and sometimes I have to smack the bolt handle fairly hard to get it to move back forward. Almost like it is stuff on the bolt catch, but the bolt release does not effect it at all. I am kinda stumped.

HELP ME

If I were in your shoes the first thing I'd do is dab some oil in everything that moves just before, during, and after your shotgun's sticking.  If that helps, I'd take it apart and clean it.  If it didn't help, I'd probably clean it anyhow.  If that still didn't work, I'd head back to the drawing board....

I couldn't tell from your post, did you own your M2 before the xrail was added?

Happy Troubleshooting,

Bob

Hand cycling the bolt is not needed for operation of this firearm.its also not needed for unloading said firearm. If you are doing this to unload it, learn to manipulate the shell latch properly.

but,  If you want it to return to battery when doing this, be robust, you are not fully compressing the bolt rearward as it would happen when shooting appropriate ammo.

• 1 month later...

I have a TTI M2, and I occasionally have this issue.  It will happen when shooting the gun as well.  I am 99% sure it is an issue with the shell catch.  The problem is exacerbated by running shorter mag tube springs, but even with an uncut spring it occasionally happens.  I found another thread titled "M2 jams" where some people mentioned this being an issue and the fix was the modify the shell catch just slightly and then repolish it, but the pictures had expired so it's hard to see what they were talking about. 

Currently doing some research on this and will let you know what I find.  

Ok, so I just replaced the recoil spring, hammer spring, and trigger spring with TTI springs.  I believe it had TTI springs but I haven't replaced them since I purchased the gun.  One of my buddies suggested the recoil spring was the culprit of the issue for me, and lucky enough I was planning on replacing it anyway. 

So, before, I was able to artificially create the problem by holding the bolt back and slowly releasing, and it would occasionally catch.  I cannot seem to replicate the issue anymore.  If it happens again, I will true a Benelli recoil spring as there is currently a reduced power recoil spring in.  

How many rounds are through your gun, and do you know what recoil spring is in it?  I would recommend replacing the carrier spring and recoil spring if it has seen some use.  If not, I would refer back to the shell catch and keep searching for solutions to that.

• 1 month later...