Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Resjudicata

P320RX vs the X5

Recommended Posts

Looking at getting one or the other for carry optics. Evidently the X5 is hard to find and doesn't come with the optic (so, costs more). Also I kind of like the round shape of the standard grip. Is there any major benefit to the X5 over the RX?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the X5 better than my RX because I prefer the shape of the grip to that of the standard grips, and I also like the weight distribution with the bull barrel and weight in the grip. So, as to advantages or disadvantages, it comes down to personal preference. They’re both excellent pistols (I have both).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The higher purchase grip frame on the X5 and slide lightening make it worthwhile. Also has a tighter slide/barrel lockup tolerances, so in inherently more accurate too. If you don't need the extra sight radius and longer barrel and you want to save a little more coin over the X5, you might want to consider the Xcarry too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BillGarlandJr said:

I like the X5 better than my RX because I prefer the shape of the grip to that of the standard grips, and I also like the weight distribution with the bull barrel and weight in the grip. So, as to advantages or disadvantages, it comes down to personal preference. They’re both excellent pistols (I have both).

Since you have both, can you tell me whether the standard grip fits the X5 trigger pack?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy a standard grip for $40 but an X5 grip is currently not available. You could sell the X5 grip. Lightened slide, heavier barrel, tighter lock up, weighted grip for balance and the ability to switch between optic and rear sight quickly. That is some things plus 4 mags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Resjudicata said:

Since you have both, can you tell me whether the standard grip fits the X5 trigger pack?

 

The X-Five FCU fits standard grip module. If you get an X-Five and HAVE to have the rounded (and or LG or SM circumference Grip Module) you can swap out as needed.

Things you get with an X-Five you CAN'T get in an RX:
- The longest sight radius available in the P320 line
• A heavy barrel contour
• A grip weight
• A removable mag funnel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bossgvr4 said:

The X-Five FCU fits standard grip module. If you get an X-Five and HAVE to have the rounded (and or LG or SM circumference Grip Module) you can swap out as needed.

Things you get with an X-Five you CAN'T get in an RX:
- The longest sight radius available in the P320 line
• A heavy barrel contour
• A grip weight
• A removable mag funnel

The mag funnel and grip weight aren't legal in Carry Optics, are they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Resjudicata said:

The mag funnel and grip weight aren't legal in Carry Optics, are they?

Mag funnel no but easily removable. Geip weight yes as long as you don’t go over the max weight with anything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

Mag funnel no but easily removable. Geip weight yes as long as you don’t go over the max weight with anything else. 

Okay, thanks.

 

ETA: I looked up where the grip weight is located. Will that fit in the standard p320 grip frame?

Edited by Resjudicata

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the information to help my decision. I think I'm going with the RX. Since I don't like the X5 grip It doesn't seem worth it for me to get the X5. 

 

Now a slightly new question: What barrel length? With an optic (this gun will only be used with the optic) I don't need sight radius. So, the only reason to get a longer barrel is for achieving power factor and/or for recoil impulse. I have a compact size Sig with iron sights and really like the balance and recoil control. Anyone using a compact carry size p320 in carry optics that could comment? Interested in your opinions on this.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bigeric said:

The full size allows you to use an aftermarket guide rod and 1911 recoil springs to tune to your load. 

I had not thought of that. I see Gray Guns sells the aftermarket guide rods. I might be able to cut it down for the compact to use with cut down springs. But, I don't know. That's something for me to consider. 

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even in stock trim, the compact length slides are very fast in terms of sight returning to target. I’ve not had a chance to mess around with a compact RX a great deal, but I think it does have some potential as a CO pistol. On the other hand, I haven’t seen anyone running anything other than Rx’s and X5’s, so maybe someone has experimented with the compact slide and found it to be no advantage. It might br worth researching at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillGarlandJr said:

Even in stock trim, the compact length slides are very fast in terms of sight returning to target. I’ve not had a chance to mess around with a compact RX a great deal, but I think it does have some potential as a CO pistol. On the other hand, I haven’t seen anyone running anything other than Rx’s and X5’s, so maybe someone has experimented with the compact slide and found it to be no advantage. It might br worth researching at least.

 

I had a chance to look at the X5 full size and the RX compact today. I really liked the balance of the compact so I took it home. I will try to get to the range this week for some live fire.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Resjudicata said:

 

I had a chance to look at the X5 full size and the RX compact today. I really liked the balance of the compact so I took it home. I will try to get to the range this week for some live fire.

 

 

Very cool! I'm interested in hearing about how it works for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

Very cool! I'm interested in hearing about how it works for you.

 

I just got back from the range. I oiled the gun really well and ran a couple hundred rounds of UMC factory ammo through it. It ran great and the dot return was perfect. The dot didn't dip or return high, but just right. Accuracy seemed fine but I was only shooting at about 10 yards. I mainly just shot rapid fire to see how the dot tracked and returned. BTW, I tightened the battery door on the Romeo sight like Alma (sp?) suggests in his Youtube video. No problems with the dot at all.

 

Other than the heavy trigger I really like the gun. I'll start looking to see if there are any tutorials to see if something can be done to lighten the stock trigger. Otherwise will order a replacement kit sometime in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot a friend's RX off of bags at 25 yards, with several loads that have proven to be accurate in other guns.

The Xfive I got last week puts the RX to shame, in the accuracy dept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RH45 said:

I shot a friend's RX off of bags at 25 yards, with several loads that have proven to be accurate in other guns.

The Xfive I got last week puts the RX to shame, in the accuracy dept.

 

I may end up getting the X5 in the future and just replacing the god awful grip frame. But, right now I don't see anything at all wrong with the RX. I'm going to work on some loads for it while I wait for the holster and other gear to show up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2018 at 12:40 PM, RH45 said:

I shot a friend's RX off of bags at 25 yards, with several loads that have proven to be accurate in other guns.

The Xfive I got last week puts the RX to shame, in the accuracy dept.

 

Does everyone else find true this else well? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From bags I haven't found one to be appreciably more accurate than the other, but when shooting at speed I shoot the X5 more accurately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 3:59 PM, dansedgli said:

 

Does everyone else find true this else well? 

 

 

I have both, both with Romeo1's. And both are very accurate guns. But all the X5's advantages (undercut, bull barrel, better weight distribution, better trigger, etc) makes it easier to be accurate with, especially when shooting quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I've noticed with the X5 grip is that it's considerably shorter than the regular P320 in the backstrap area. This is an issue if you have large hands and the bottom of your palm hangs off the bottom of the grip (at least for me). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ajblack said:

One thing I've noticed with the X5 grip is that it's considerably shorter than the regular P320 in the backstrap area. This is an issue if you have large hands and the bottom of your palm hangs off the bottom of the grip (at least for me). 

I also have large hands. XXL glove size. I don't like the X grip size without the magwell. I tried one on my 320C. Just too skinny. But with the magwell, I find I can rest the bottom of my weak hand on it to better grip the gun. Makes the grip seem bigger.

 

I also shoot with my weak hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both the X5 and the full size 320RX with Apex trigger kit. I love them both and the accuracy for me between the two is about the same. The X5 came with 4 21 rd mags which sweetened the deal. The Rx only came with 2 which I think Sig should of at least threw in 3. Both great grab them over my Glocks all the time on range days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yong Lee favors his RX over his X5.

 

He cites faster return to target due to better balance (the bull barrel making it too nose heavy), though slightly more felt recoil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...