Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Limited for USPSA?

dstein

Hi all,

I really have my eye on a 9mm Luger STI DVC Limited. I’ll mainlynusenit as a fun gun to shoot, but am interested in getting into USPSA. 

I know about the difference in scoring between major and minor, but have always shot 9mm. Given that the gun will be used mainly for target shooting, I’d hate to be spending more for ammo (40 S&W) than necessary (compared to 9mm). 

What are your thoughts?  Do others here shoot this gun in USPSA?

Sorry if this is too novice. Also hoping to avoid a 40 vs. 9 war. Just want some feedback from experienced shooters. 

Thanks all!

Darrell

Have you always shot 9mm in a 1911/2011 platform?  Are you going to be reloading?  The gun itself is fine, but I still prefer the Edge over the DVC for limited division.   The .40 with a turned set up (proper balance between recoil and main springs) will shoot just as flat or flatter than any polymer 9mm.  If you reload the ammo, the price difference is negligible. If you are wanting to do minimal mods and are comfortable doing you own trigger work then order a CRP version through Dawson Precision. 

I’m new to the 2011 platform. I’m accustom to shooting 1911. Good point about the Edge. Did not know about the comparison you mentioned. I don’t plan on reloading. I DO like the guns from Dawson. 

Thanks for your reply. 

4 hours ago, dstein said:

I’m new to the 2011 platform. I’m accustom to shooting 1911. Good point about the Edge. Did not know about the comparison you mentioned. I don’t plan on reloading. I DO like the guns from Dawson. 

Thanks for your reply. 

Dave Dawson actually steered me to the Edge as well as some GM shooters.  The DVC is lighter supposedly cycles faster, my logic is that my reaction time will not allow the benefit of a couple thousanths of a second in cycle time to benefit me.  The small amount of extra weight the Edge has does allow me to shoot with less felt recoil however.  I actually started USPSA in .45 acp limited with a Springfield Armory so dropping to a .40 in a 2011 was easy.  I have not even shot the 9mm in a 1911/2011 platform.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a 9mm DVC, but for 3-Gun. When I shoot USPSA I take the hit for shooting Limited Minor. I do reload and also shoot Freedom 124gr/147gr out the box. Its up to you, but it is a fun gun to shoot. If you plan to shoot USPSA limited exclusively you probably want to be in 40.

On 3/2/2018 at 1:08 PM, dstein said:

Thanks, Moloch38. I’m going to end up getting an Edge in 40 S&W. 

Great decision. I was shooting Limited Minor (9mm) and it sucks losing points shooting Minor. You will be really happy with the .40 Edge.

Congratulations!

I would get the .40, you can load minor .40 cal and feels softer on recoil than 9mm, and at least you have the option to shoot major if you want to later.   Some of my fellow shooters got the DVC in .40 cal limited division and 9mm major for open and they love it.  They also shoots really good with that setup.