Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production changes ..

PatJones

9 minutes ago, PatJones said:
45 minutes ago, ngodwetrust21 said:
https://patriotdefense.com/product/unica-tanfoglio-flat-safety/

I can’t wait to order this and it be legal. If I put this on before the rules officially change, are you all going to bump me to open?

Yes

And this is why I like the rule change. Because I shouldn’t have to be bumped to open for running a flat safety on my production gun.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are gamer conversion barrels legal now?  This was a rule that was always stupid, so if we are allowing all this other stuff, would it be ok if I put a 9 barrel in my 40, or is that what is keeping me from being national champ and too big of an advantage?

7 minutes ago, RJH said:

So are gamer conversion barrels legal now?  This was a rule that was always stupid, so if we are allowing all this other stuff, would it be ok if I put a 9 barrel in my 40, or is that what is keeping me from being national champ and too big of an advantage?

Doesn't look like it...

"BARRELS: You may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun. "

I agree though... stupid to change all that other stuff and not this.

15 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

Doesn't look like it...

"BARRELS: You may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun. "

I agree though... stupid to change all that other stuff and not this.

Crap, now I will never be champ at nationals :-)

28 minutes ago, RJH said:

Crap, now I will never be champ at nationals :-)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Just swing for the fences on every stage and I'm sure it will work out.

Edited by LeviSS

6 hours ago, Kraj said:

That was legal under the old rules.

Not OEM , but OFM, not sold on any listed gun, but Troy said it was ok in an email, an email is not considered an official document but is probably a great starting point if you want to make a written protest.

My read is that it was maybe legal under the old rules depending on who was running an equipment check, with the new rules my read is don't worry be happy. 

31 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Is it legal now or not? Sure seems like it was okay before and thus, still is.

I’m not going to lie. I have no idea. I didn’t think it was legal. Which is why I hadn’t already bought one. One more reason I am glad they changed the rules, so dummies like me will have an easier time figuring out what is legal and what isn’t.

1 hour ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

so dummies like me will have an easier time figuring out what is legal and what isn’t.

It ain't you.

I've been at a match where Mike Foley & Troy McManus & a very good cro and a very good rm spent 10 minutes debating how many procedurals a shooter earned.

I've also questioned a very good CROI about a production gun rule and gotten a different answer than Troy came up with.

Not being critical at all. I think it is just really hard to write any rules that cover every possibility and every possible interpretation. 

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

It ain't you.

I've been at a match where Mike Foley & Troy McManus & a very good cro and a very good rm spent 10 minutes debating how many procedurals a shooter earned.

I've also questioned a very good CROI about a production gun rule and gotten a different answer than Troy came up with.

Not being critical at all. I think it is just really hard to write any rules that cover every possibility and every possible interpretation. 

Absolutely. 

On 2/17/2018 at 1:03 AM, Rjracing said:

I dig it all, clears up some of the grey areas too!

Agreed!  I totally understand the 'purist' point of view and half of my heart agrees with them.  Then, there is the 'other' side that WANTS the extended Springer Mag release and the GGI PELT2 trigger.  Is it gonna instantly going to make me jump classification, straight to GM .... help me beat those at my level locally with ease???  Nope, notda!  Cold day in hell.  Will I enjoy shooting a little more due to 'perceived' more comfort and ease of working the mag release and using a better trigger ... definitely!

BTW, I would have been fine with the decision going either way.

What am *I* gonna change come May 18th on my SIG P320 X5?   1) Extended Mag release 2) GGI PELT2 trigger 3) Add the Springer Floor Plates inside my mags.  THAT IS IT!  Again, Is it gonna instantly going to make me jump classification, straight to GM  ..... NOPE.  

....now to go Dry Fire and put in REAL work to get better!

Carry On Ladies and Gents

Edited by J.P. Thomas

Another thing to consider is that these changes will only make it into the hands of MAYBE 10-20% of the membership. It's common for those of us on here who like to think we make up a big chunk of active shooters, to assume everybody will know about these changes. 

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Another thing to consider is that these changes will only make it into the hands of MAYBE 10-20% of the membership. It's common for those of us on here who like to think we make up a big chunk of active shooters, to assume everybody will know about these changes. 

It seems that assuming everybody will know what's legal is a big part of what drove the decision to begin with.  Firearms Nation posted a podcast with Mike Foley at SHOT this year, and he talked about some of the changes coming and why they came about.  He said (and don't quote me because I listened to this quite a while ago) something like 90% of the questions sent to NROI regarding Production were equipment-related.  "Is X or Y legal for me to use in Production?"

Part of it could also be people wanting to use a gun across multiple Divisions like Production and CO.  With the optic-ready platforms, that's quite feasible, but people are continuously pushing the line of how far can you go towards CO without falling off the Production ledge.  And if anyone is even thinking about shooting an IPSC match, these rules are pretty useless since they can't change anything.