Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Said farewell to my S&W 500

shoots100

I enjoyed my time hunting and plinking with my 8-3/8" S&W 500, but it got too big and heavy to lug around (especially when loaded with 5 -400 grain cast lead rounds ), so it had to go.

Fortunately, I found a 4" version and bought it, so Happy days will soon be here again ! 

Here's the last pic I took of it with it's smaller brothers(929/617) before it left town.

SJC 

IMG_1078.JPG

How are you going to protect yourself from those Monster Carnivores you have in New York  ???    :P

I fired five shots thru the .460 and had a headache for two days.

Cannot imagine the .500.

And I've been shooting a .41 magnum for 50 years.

Glad you found a 4" barrel in .500 - a smaller, lighter gun should be even more fun to shoot.    :rolleyes:

I let mine go a few years back. For some reason I thought that I needed some loads for elephants here in Iowa and I loaded up some 385 grain JSP at 1900 fps for a power factor of 732, no problem making major. Ruined the 2 x 8 Leupold scope I had on it and my elbow hurt for a month but the dang thing would put rounds through a 10" diameter oak tree. Best load I ever had was using a 275 grain HP Barnes bullet at 1200 fps. Went back to my 44 mag and 10mm for deer hunting and you know to this day I haven't seen an elephant roaming the woods in Iowa. :D

8 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

How are you going to protect yourself from those Monster Carnivores you have in New York  ???    :P

I fired five shots thru the .460 and had a headache for two days.

Cannot imagine the .500.

And I've been shooting a .41 magnum for 50 years.

Glad you found a 4" barrel in .500 - a smaller, lighter gun should be even more fun to shoot.    :rolleyes:

Don't fret, I have a couple of 50Bmg rifles to keep those pesky carnivores away and a few .44 mag pea shooters at the ready until the other 500 arrives !

I had a 460 too, but I felt under gunned when walking the tough suburban streets with my maltacockapoosetteradorbull.

On 2/17/2018 at 12:59 PM, shoots100 said:

Don't fret, I have a couple of 50Bmg rifles to keep those pesky carnivores away and a few .44 mag pea shooters at the ready until the other 500 arrives !

I had a 460 too, but I felt under gunned when walking the tough suburban streets with my maltacockapoosetteradorbull.

For those who think a .500 is overkill -

Like they said in Tremors..."If you need it and don't have it, you'll sing a different tune!"

I have the 8 3/8" version and the 4" version. They are pretty much useless, but they are fun taking them to the indoor range loaded with 700 grain bullets. I like to let other people shoot them, their smile is worth it.