Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

“Budget” build help

Since I have a lot of AR 15 parts I decided to go the “budget build” route. Been reading the PCC forum and found out informations about PCC. 

What would be your best advice on buying less expensive parts mainly the BCG, buffer and barrel?

I found a Spinta precision combo online (blem barrel & blem BCG) which I think is the cheapest (maybe). Is this a good buy or can you suggest an alternative company to look at?

It will mainly be used as an extra equipment for 3gun matches, meaning not a dedicated USPSA division gun. Thanks.

I decided this season to give UML a try so I needed a PCC that will give good accuracy out to 100 yards.

I wasted a lot of ammo trying to get the cheaper barrels to work.  Others may have had better luck but until I stepped up to a better barrel, I was unable to get acceptable accuracy.  You might want to keep that in mind. 

For shorter distances found in most USPSA stages, all barrels I tried are more than acceptable.  For longer targets I've gone with a Taccom ULW barrel.

As for 9mm bolts, I've tried PSA and Spinta and had excellent results with both.

After a lot of experimenting, I've also settled on a basic 5.2 ounce carbine buffer with a stock .223 spring and $2.75 in quarters in the buffer behind the spring. I'm still playing with other buffer springs and systems and some have promise but will also require I take them to the range to get used to them. 

Hello: BCG, buffer and barrel are the heart of the PCC. I would set a budget for your build and what you are trying to do. A magwell insert will work well for Colt SMG magazines. A good barrel that will allow you to load long if you are reloading 9mm or using coated/plated bullets. I have been using JP, KAW Valley/Faxon and Wilson Arms barrels. All perform very well when you find a good load for them. These are all 16" barrels which I found worked best for me. Bolt and buffer setups I mostly use JP stuff but have used Matrix, KAW as well. If you get a chance I would shoot as many PCC's as you can to see what you like. Different setups may favor your style of shooting or you may not like the recoil impulse of them. I am in the medium weight with slight weight forward camp. Thanks, Eric

21 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I decided this season to give UML a try so I needed a PCC that will give good accuracy out to 100 yards.

I wasted a lot of ammo trying to get the cheaper barrels to work.  Others may have had better luck but until I stepped up to a better barrel, I was unable to get acceptable accuracy.  You might want to keep that in mind. 

For shorter distances found in most USPSA stages, all barrels I tried are more than acceptable.  For longer targets I've gone with a Taccom ULW barrel.

As for 9mm bolts, I've tried PSA and Spinta and had excellent results with both.

After a lot of experimenting, I've also settled on a basic 5.2 ounce carbine buffer with a stock .223 spring and $2.75 in quarters in the buffer behind the spring. I'm still playing with other buffer springs and systems and some have promise but will also require I take them to the range to get used to them. 

What ULW barrel from taccom is a good pick, ramped or without the ramped? Ramped looks like needs a little bit of modification.

I already 

23 minutes ago, timawa said:

What ULW barrel from taccom is a good pick, ramped or without the ramped? Ramped looks like needs a little bit of modification.

I already have several 9mm bolts (PSA and Spinta) so decided to go with the un-ramped barrel. 

At the same time I ordered the Taccom 9mm ramp should there be any feeding problems. So far it has not been needed.  Runs 100% without it.