Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Carry Optics Rules

OPENB

9 minutes ago, HCH said:

This is the “Carry Optics” thread. Real Open has its own section of the forum. 

You want to do things in cheap open that isn't allowed but you complain about it, you have options, follow the carry optics rules or go to open.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, bret said:

You want to do things in cheap open that isn't allowed but you complain about it, you have options, follow the carry optics rules or go to open.

SS: 43 oz doesn’t matter how you get there. 

Production: 4 oz over factory weight— not hard to do

CO: 45oz, but you can only do that if you come up with a factory gun that’s already heavy. Spin it however you want, but that’s a BS rule. Whack on your frame, cut off finger grooves, mill your slide, add extended controls, but don’t dare add an additional frame weight. 

Also, I’m bitter that I can’t run a 9mm barrel in a g35 for production. Should I go shoot L10 minor instead?

3 hours ago, NickBlasta said:

You could game it a little by making oversized / heavy versions of the parts you're allowed to replace.

Brass controls? Weighted slide stop? Extended guide rod?

I’ve already gone full hillbilly and wrapped my basepads in 1/4oz steel stick on wheel weights—adds 2oz AND makes the mags fall out easier 😉 

8 hours ago, HCH said:

CO: 45oz, but you can only do that if you come up with a factory gun that’s already heavy. Spin it however you want, but that’s a BS rule. Whack on your frame, cut off finger grooves, mill your slide, add extended controls, but don’t dare add an additional frame weight. 

Also, I’m bitter that I can’t run a 9mm barrel in a g35 for production. Should I go shoot L10 minor instead?

Do you reload? If you do download 40s two minor PF and you'll have a better shooting/feeling round than 9 mm for a 10-round only division. 180 coated or plated over 3.0gr of Clays powder is a sweet round. Only disadvantage would be in carry Optics where you would lose some round capacity in a 140 mm magazine but that usually isn't even an issue. Shooting minor in Limited 10 will get you frustrated dropping points to easily or too much time to make all the A hits compared to your competition throwing Cs and pulling ahead with faster runs.

8 hours ago, HCH said:

Single stack in 9mm is easy to go over the 43 ounces, if it weighs 43.1 ounces, welcome to open.

Carry Optics was 2 ounces over the production weight of the gun with a 45 ounce max, somehow this changed to allowing people to add weight to increase all guns to the max weight of 45 ounces, you can add frame weight but it can't be an external frame weight.

You can shoot your G35 in production, Limited or L10, in production it will be scored as minor,  don't see why you would change a barrel to shoot L10 Minor, you can download your .40 ammo to minor if you want to shoot minor.

No reason to be bitter,  just follow the rules like everyone else is expected to do.

1 hour ago, bret said:

Single stack in 9mm is easy to go over the 43 ounces, if it weighs 43.1 ounces, welcome to open.

Carry Optics was 2 ounces over the production weight of the gun with a 45 ounce max, somehow this changed to allowing people to add weight to increase all guns to the max weight of 45 ounces, you can add frame weight but it can't be an external frame weight.

You can shoot your G35 in production, Limited or L10, in production it will be scored as minor,  don't see why you would change a barrel to shoot L10 Minor, you can download your .40 ammo to minor if you want to shoot minor.

No reason to be bitter,  just follow the rules like everyone else is expected to do.

So why can a person buy a stock 3 and mill the hell out of it to cut weight (to get under 45oz) but those of us shooting a poly gun can’t add external weight?

Is 45oz not the maximum weight for CO? If it is, why does it matter how I got to that point?

Edited by HCH

Got make some rule,,,   will always be inconsistencies. Rule book is full of them. contact the AD, or support a different person for AD,, and if enough people feel the same way, rules can be changed.
However unless things have drastically changed, not to many people vote for directors,,   so we kinda get the rule set we deserve.

44 minutes ago, HCH said:

So why can a person buy a stock 3 and mill the hell out of it to cut weight (to get under 45oz) but those of us shooting a poly gun can’t add external weight?

Is 45oz not the maximum weight for CO? If it is, why does it matter how I got to that point?

Why does it matter?

Rules say no frame weights.

A stock 3 is on the production list,  so you should be able to put an optic on it and be 2 ounces over the published weight, but if it goes over 45 ounces it will be a bump to open.

Originally it was 2 ounces over the published production weight, should have stayed that way, but it didn't. 

I have a g34 with an optic on it, shoots fine, my accushadow is better but not a big deal, it's just 9mm minor loads. 

You seem to be pretty worked up over not being able to add a bunch of weight, is it really that much of a hindrance to you that you can't use frame weights in carry optics? 

1 minute ago, bret said:

Why does it matter?

Rules say no frame weights.

A stock 3 is on the production list,  so you should be able to put an optic on it and be 2 ounces over the published weight, but if it goes over 45 ounces it will be a bump to open.

Originally it was 2 ounces over the published production weight, should have stayed that way, but it didn't. 

I have a g34 with an optic on it, shoots fine, my accushadow is better but not a big deal, it's just 9mm minor loads. 

You seem to be pretty worked up over not being able to add a bunch of weight, is it really that much of a hindrance to you that you can't use frame weights in carry optics? 

Principal. It is the principle. 

6 minutes ago, HCH said:

I need a bunch of other polymer shooters to get behind it.. wanna join me?

I don't see a reason to change the rules, should have stayed the Production weight plus 2 ounces.

dunno guy ,  last few guns I spent time on the clock behind were a 6" bull barrel STI eagle 40 limited.,, a 7" 1858 Remington,, and a 3.5 " Colt SAA,,,   This 28 oz SA XDM,,, with mousefart loads runs like a banshee,  my first plastic fantastic,,, pretty impressed

On 2/19/2018 at 7:30 AM, open17 said:

Legat in CO?      21.6 allows aftermarket slide stops, and the "old book" wording prohibiting thumb rests is gone------

NF17-4%20TF.jpg

So is this part really CO legal now? I’m really hoping it is lol 😂 

21 hours ago, Arkie_Shooter said:

If 21.4 states "...Grips may not be modified to create a thumb rest or beavertail.", I would think not. Give it a try at a major and let us find out.

I ordered one and plan to use it. It's not modifying the grips and it is a replacement (albeit non-functional) slide-lock, which is explicitly allowed to be changed out for aftermarket. That said, you may have to modify your holster for it. I ordered a new one built out for it from RHT. 

48 minutes ago, Acer2428 said:

I ordered one and plan to use it. It's not modifying the grips and it is a replacement (albeit non-functional) slide-lock, which is explicitly allowed to be changed out for aftermarket. That said, you may have to modify your holster for it. I ordered a new one built out for it from RHT. 

Another thread where Troy from NROI just said takedown thumb rest for a sig p320 not legal so I’d say they will same the same thing for a thumb rest slide stop. 

30 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

Another thread where Troy from NROI just said takedown thumb rest for a sig p320 not legal so I’d say they will same the same thing for a thumb rest slide stop. 

Makes good sense. Wish I had seen it (I went and searched it out) would have saved me $110+. I googled the snot out of it before I purchased, but didn't see anything and in reading the rules seemed g2g. Curious as to where the line gets drawn other than having to submit every part for review. 

Edited by Acer2428

18 minutes ago, Acer2428 said:

Makes good sense. Wish I had seen it (I went and searched it out) would have saved me $110+. I googled the snot out of it before I purchased, but didn't see anything and in reading the rules seemed g2g. Curious as to where the line gets drawn other than having to submit every part for review. 

Unfortunately that seems to be where it’s going.  Production and CO shouldn’t have been messed with. 

On 2/4/2019 at 11:27 AM, Arkie_Shooter said:

If 21.4 states "...Grips may not be modified to create a thumb rest or beavertail.", I would think not. Give it a try at a major and let us find out.

Sir are you familiar with a tanfoglio? This is not a part of the grip of the pistol. It is a slide stop and it located above the trigger. 

I think you you are talking about the gogun grips that extend forward to create a thumbrest. 

Edited by Gviz

8 hours ago, HoMiE said:

A replacement takedown lever is illegal already because the CO rules don't allow you to replace it. An aftermarket slide stop is allowed, so I'd have to assume it's legal until the rules say otherwise.