New Carry Optics Rules

OPENB

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glock weight in CO is pretty limited.  Since you can only add internal weight, we're pretty much limited to shot in the grip and a tungsten guide rod.

Any other ideas?

Edited by CHLChris

6 hours ago, CHLChris said:

Glock weight in CO is pretty limited.  Since you can only add internal weight, we're pretty much limited to shot in the grip and a tungsten guide rod.

Any other ideas?

Brass basepads

8 hours ago, CHLChris said:

Any other ideas?

I have shot in mine, thinking of switching to tungsten powder for the slight increase.

Also maybe lay some tungsten putty in the dust cover/rail area, could hog it out some to get more.

Weighted base pads/mags.

47 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

I have shot in mine, thinking of switching to tungsten powder for the slight increase.

Also maybe lay some tungsten putty in the dust cover/rail area, could hog it out some to get more.

Weighted base pads/mags.

Does anyone know how much (by weight) tungsten powder can be put into the grip?  Could it also be mixed with silicon carbide to form an external grip/weight solution?

9 hours ago, cjmill87 said:

Does anyone know how much (by weight) tungsten powder can be put into the grip?  Could it also be mixed with silicon carbide to form an external grip/weight solution?

Seems like a lot of hassle to add a little weight, it's only minor power factor,  if you need more weight get a steel framed gun like a Tanfo or CZ.

18 hours ago, CHLChris said:

Any other ideas?

I bought a Seattle Slug (2nd) from Taylor Freelance, cut it off, and secured it in the back cavity to add a bit of weight. That works only if you have a Gen 3 lower. No Seattle Slugs for Gen 4 or 5. I am also using two brass +5/6 TF basepads on a couple of older Glock mags. Getting 23 rounds in both mags to start, so good to go. I am running a steel guide rod (Wolff) so that I can use Wolff recoil springs. Haven't weighed the gun since I added that cut-off Seattle Slug, but it weighed roughly 32 oz. with the empty mag w/brass basepad (on the scale at a match chrono) before that addition. With the slide mounted Doctor I'm using, that still only puts me in the mid 30 oz. range. It will never be a heavyweight!

I will say this: I shot my g17 for a year basically stock. I had only done a simple  trigger job and added grip tape. I just recently installed a tungsten guide rod, a thug plug, and filled the backstrap with as much shot as I could fit. The difference in tracking the dot was incredible. 

17 hours ago, Whitefish said:

I bought a Seattle Slug (2nd) from Taylor Freelance, cut it off, and secured it in the back cavity to add a bit of weight. That works only if you have a Gen 3 lower. No Seattle Slugs for Gen 4 or 5. I am also using two brass +5/6 TF basepads on a couple of older Glock mags. Getting 23 rounds in both mags to start, so good to go. I am running a steel guide rod (Wolff) so that I can use Wolff recoil springs. Haven't weighed the gun since I added that cut-off Seattle Slug, but it weighed roughly 32 oz. with the empty mag w/brass basepad (on the scale at a match chrono) before that addition. With the slide mounted Doctor I'm using, that still only puts me in the mid 30 oz. range. It will never be a heavyweight!

The Glock Store sells a flush brass grip plug for at least up to Gen 4's.

What size of bird-shot did you use? How did you make sure that it stay in the cavity and didn't rattle?

17 hours ago, HCH said:

I will say this: I shot my g17 for a year basically stock. I had only done a simple  trigger job and added grip tape. I just recently installed a tungsten guide rod, a thug plug, and filled the backstrap with as much shot as I could fit. The difference in tracking the dot was incredible. 

2 hours ago, sorvanetzsorv said:

What size of bird-shot did you use? How did you make sure that it stay in the cavity and didn't rattle?

6 or 7.. I just cut open a couple rounds of birdshot and dumped it in. Then dumped shot out until the plug fit snugly. 

I mixed lead shot (I think 7.5 birdshot) with JBWeld, into a slurry.  I had already removed the trigger housing so it wasnt glued in place.  I started putting in the slurry like peanut butter using a popsicle stick.  

At the bottom, I didnt worry about how it looked since I sanded it smooth after it dried, then spray painted the very bottom black.

The epoxy oozed out of the back strap hole, which helped solidify the entire structure of lead shot and epoxy into the grip.

Edited by jhgtyre

3 hours ago, CHLChris said:

I mixed lead shot (I think 7.5 birdshot) with JBWeld, into a slurry.  I had already removed the trigger housing so it wasnt glued in place.  I started putting in the slurry like peanut butter using a popsicle stick.  

At the bottom, I didnt worry about how it looked since I sanded it smooth after it dried, then spray painted the very bottom black.

The epoxy oozed out of the back strap hole, which helped solidify the entire structure of lead shot and epoxy into the grip.

The Glock 17 I did this to is for sale right now in the classifieds and there is a pic of my work.

Interesting idea. Did you take weight measurements before and after the process. I'm wondering how much weight was added thinking that the J-B Weld will be taking up volume instead of lead.

There is always volume left over when you pack the shot and that is the space filled by the epoxy.  It seems to me that the only other option is to have loose shot that is bound to become a shakey shakey maraca no matter how tightly one packs the shot.  No thanks.  Epoxy is worth the loss of a little volume.

No, I never got around to weighing it.  I'll do that this weekend.

Just added a funnel and now they come with an extra backstrap,, so no worries about not being able to put this back to original. My XDM is gonna get this treatment. But will use tungsten Pine derby weights, and putty,,,seems to be quite a bit of room in there,,  Will get before and after weights. Goal would be the full allowed 2oz,, ( IDPA rules..)

Are the flashlights-turned-frame-weights allowed in CO now? I don't see anything addressing frame weights in the rules either way so I'm guessing they would be prohibited under the "A modification is only allowed in Carry Optics Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation, which specifically declares that it is allowed in the Division" clause.

6 minutes ago, matteekay said:

Are the flashlights-turned-frame-weights allowed in CO now? I don't see anything addressing frame weights in the rules either way so I'm guessing they would be prohibited under the "A modification is only allowed in Carry Optics Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation, which specifically declares that it is allowed in the Division" clause.

No. And that is correct on the frame weight. I emailed Troy and got told no. 

Which i I think is kinda BS.. you can buy a stock 3 and mill it to cut weight, but can’t add too much to your Glock. 45 oz is 45 oz—shouldn’t matter how you get it. 

Which i I think is kinda BS.. you can buy a stock 3 and mill it to cut weight, but can’t add too much to your Glock. 45 oz is 45 oz—shouldn’t matter how you get it. 
Archer, not the arrow.

9 hours ago, HCH said:

Move to real Open instead of Cheap Open and you can do whatever you want.

1 hour ago, PatJones said:
10 hours ago, HCH said:

Archer, not the arrow.

Definitely truth to that but it is the principle of the rule that rubs me. 

51 minutes ago, bret said:

Move to real Open instead of Cheap Open and you can do whatever you want.

This is the “Carry Optics” thread. Real Open has its own section of the forum.