Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Carry Optics Rules

OPENB

26 minutes ago, Sarge said:

It sure does but look at Bob Vogels Limited Division  Glock . It has a  light with no  bulb and it’s considered not a light . You can google it or search here for it

Limited Division allows frame weights on guns because there is no maximum weight. That's what the light is without the bulb... a weight. Carry Optics has a weight limit. The first picture I posted above is a frame weight I've used in Limited Division, which is why I'm wondering if frame weights will be permitted as long as the gun doesn't come in over weight. If it's okay to attached things to the rail, that opens other options for me.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I don't think the frame weight is allowed or I would have seen one by now. I can't seem to find a rule that excludes them. Finding a holster would be another issue.

Good luck.

Red eye tactical makes one in Kydex for Glocks with the SJC weight with or without the thumb rest option. I have seen I fella running with one at local matches ,no one has said anything. He shot it at a level 2 match. No one still said anything, even at chrono. Interesting....

4 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I don't think the frame weight is allowed or I would have seen one by now. I can't seem to find a rule that excludes them. Finding a holster would be another issue.

Good luck.

Remember in Production and CO you must be able to show a rule that "allows" changes from stock.  

There are many listed allowed changes.  So if it's not specifically listed as allowed then it's not allowed.

Edited by pskys2

Just cause it passed at a level 2 match or higher means nothing other than no one got caught. I can't tell you how many times my gun was weighed or my mags measured for CO at multiple Nats. Oh wait I can, it's been never. And I know for a fact people shot illegal guns in being overweight or mags too long at the recent optic nats. (Because they told me so and were counting on a lax procedure, which just so happened.)

Remember the outrage a few years ago at the Area match where they bumped all the Lim shooters to Open for overlength mags? I can't count how many people's eyes are opened when they borrow my mag gauge.

Thankfully my gun has the weight built into it, hahaha, I had to worry about losing it to shoot CO, not add it.

12 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Red eye tactical makes one in Kydex for Glocks with the SJC weight with or without the thumb rest option. I have seen I fella running with one at local matches ,no one has said anything. He shot it at a level 2 match. No one still said anything, even at chrono. Interesting....

I'll check them out. I use a Toni System weight and thumb rest. Maybe they can make a custom one for me. 

Edited by telligentgunner

18 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Just cause it passed at a level 2 match or higher means nothing other than no one got caught. I can't tell you how many times my gun was weighed or my mags measured for CO at multiple Nats. Oh wait I can, it's been never. And I know for a fact people shot illegal guns in being overweight or mags too long at the recent optic nats. (Because they told me so and were counting on a lax procedure, which just so happened.)

Remember the outrage a few years ago at the Area match where they bumped all the Lim shooters to Open for overlength mags? I can't count how many people's eyes are opened when they borrow my mag gauge.

Thankfully my gun has the weight built into it, hahaha, I had to worry about losing it to shoot CO, not add it.

At Area Matches I've seen the box (used), scales (not) and visual inspection.  Never seen a Mag Gauge, I have one and make sure just in case though.

At Nationals in the past there is always a few who go "open".  

But I've also noticed the trend at Level II's of not even chrono'ing?

Use to be the Chrono is where all the checking went, outside of gear.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:11 PM, telligentgunner said:

It's not clear if either of these are legal/illegal. All it says is that a light cannot be attached. If they are allowed, I'm going to hose some stages.

toni.thumb.jpg.dd8f1f464e8e5589b6c39e6a9604f96b.jpg

2c5425566bf10a1620bdef7da49b81f6.thumb.jpg.a004ece09b2d9fa349d0151e358207b8.jpg

Just like in Production, there is nothing in App D7 that would allow anything to be attached to the gun in CO.  So I don't view either of those as legal.

2 hours ago, Davidp1911 said:

Are flashlights on the gun allowed in CO now?

No

Any RO can ask you to show where in the rule book it is allowed.

You have to have the rule that states it is,

That has to be in the book or posted on uspsa website under the amendments (maybe called something else)

So when you find the rule that allows it, let the rest of us know, I can't find it!

But I've missed stuff before!!!!!

8 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

No

Any RO can ask you to show where in the rule book it is allowed.

You have to have the rule that states it is,

That has to be in the book or posted on uspsa website under the amendments (maybe called something else)

So when you find the rule that allows it, let the rest of us know, I can't find it!

But I've missed stuff before!!!!!

I didn't think so too just wanted to reconfirm. I'm gonna use a G17 for CO and it's weighing in at a little over 28oz and absolute max weight is 45oz. Wondering what's allowed to increase overall weight...?

2 hours ago, Davidp1911 said:

Wondering what's allowed to increase overall weight...?

Brass basepads would add some weight. Stainless steel or tungsten guide rod are common. I’ve also heard of people getting really creative and filling the backstrap with birdshot and putting a plug in it, or using lead tape in the front end of the frame. 

5 hours ago, Davidp1911 said:

I didn't think so too just wanted to reconfirm. I'm gonna use a G17 for CO and it's weighing in at a little over 28oz and absolute max weight is 45oz. Wondering what's allowed to increase overall weight...?

How about getting a brass Seattle Slug and cutting it down so it is flush with the magwell opening. Tungsten guide rod for the front end. If you found a Glock 34 or at least a top-end that would help reduce recoil and add some weight. Lighter loads with to the longer barrel to make same PF as the 17 doesn't hurt either.

18 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

How about getting a brass Seattle Slug and cutting it down so it is flush with the magwell opening. Tungsten guide rod for the front end. If you found a Glock 34 or at least a top-end that would help reduce recoil and add some weight. Lighter loads with to the longer barrel to make same PF as the 17 doesn't hurt either.

I bought one that wasn't a seattle slug, another brand, but was brass and flush with the grip making it legal.  I think I got it at the Glock Store.

This may be slightly off topic, but is there an explanation of the criteria a gun has to meet to show up in IPSC production list anywhere?

I am just wondering, why for example the FNX-45 T is explicitly disallowed, maybe due to it‘s threaded barrel?

And I wonder whether the P320 X-CARRY will show up in the production list, and therefore might be allowed in CO with the Romeo1?

Ot the FN 509 T?  Maybe it will never be in production due to the threaded barrel, can that be assumed?

Or is it just a matter of taste which guns are showing up in the production / carry optics list?

This may be slightly off topic, but is there an explanation of the criteria a gun has to meet to show up in IPSC production list anywhere?

I am just wondering, why for example the FNX-45 T is explicitly disallowed, maybe due to it‘s threaded barrel?
And I wonder whether the P320 X-CARRY will show up in the production list, and therefore might be allowed in CO with the Romeo1?
Ot the FN 509 T?  Maybe it will never be in production due to the threaded barrel, can that be assumed?

Or is it just a matter of taste which guns are showing up in the production / carry optics list?

The manufacturer has to submit each model for review.

8 hours ago, AkIrA said:

Looks like IPSC only limits the barrel length of the pistol (127mm = 5" max), not the overall dimensions like USPSA. The FNX45T's barrel is 5.3", so it's out for both (it won't fit in the USPSA box anyways, at least with the stock baseplates). The 509T is 4.5", so assuming they submit it for review it should be legal, same for the X-Carry. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2018 at 12:22 PM, Davidp1911 said:

I threw a tungsten guide rod in my 17, along with about 1oz of birdshot in the backstrap and the “thug plug” from Glock store. It made quite a bit of difference. Next up are weighted base pads.