OPENB

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/17/2018 at 2:20 PM, BritinUSA said:

I did not even see an agenda for this meeting prior to this post. Some significant changes in CO, that’s for sure... 

Huh, I hadn't seen these either. Definitely some interesting changes - gonna need a bit of time to get through these and get some coherent thoughts together other than 'hmmmmm'.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, BritinUSA said:

Its legal from what I can see, I posted a similar comment in another topic…

I would call that a grey area that could be subject to RM approval.  They still specifically prohibit grips to be modified to create a thumb rest.  I realize that you're talking about a slide stop, but you're effectively replacing a factory slide stop with a thumb rest with that part.  There is no rule specifically allowing thumb rests.

22 hours ago, JAFO said:

I would call that a grey area that could be subject to RM approval.  They still specifically prohibit grips to be modified to create a thumb rest.  I realize that you're talking about a slide stop, but you're effectively replacing a factory slide stop with a thumb rest with that part.  There is no rule specifically allowing thumb rests.

So am I understanding this right? Accelerator cuts on Glock style guns are now illegal? As now grips can not be modified to create a thumb rest? Before the BOD meeting they were considered legal. Any info is appreciated on this grey area!

15 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

So am I understanding this right? Accelerator cuts on Glock style guns are now illegal? As now grips can not be modified to create a thumb rest? Before the BOD meeting they were considered legal. Any info is appreciated on this grey area!

Those accelerator cuts were never legal for Production. 

51 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

Through-cuts were not legal in CO before. Now they are. 

It was never legal to create a thumbrest in CO. The original App D7 allowed you to add texture, finger grooves, or stippling without reference to App E4, but it did not allow thumbrests.  In CO, like in Production, if there is no rule specifically allowing a modification, it's prohibited. The new App D7 just spells out that grips may not be modified to create thumbrests. 

43 minutes ago, JAFO said:

It was never legal to create a thumbrest in CO. The original App D7 allowed you to add texture, finger grooves, or stippling without reference to App E4, but it did not allow thumbrests.  In CO, like in Production, if there is no rule specifically allowing a modification, it's prohibited. The new App D7 just spells out that grips may not be modified to create thumbrests. 

I emailed Troy about slide stops that could be used as a thumb rest, haven't heard back from him. They way I read the rules there is no constraints on the size/shape of a slide stop. As long as it fits in the box that is(since the guns start on the PRD list)

Edited by Patrick Scott

Just now, Patrick Scott said:

I emailed Troy about slide stops that could be used as a thumb rest, haven't heard back from him. They way I read the rules there is no constraints on the size/shape of a slide stop. As long as it fits in the box that is. 

And the box has to close for Production, too.  ?

Since they don't have a maximum size restriction for CO, it just comes down to whether allowing a slide stop rest conflicts with the "no thumbrest mods to the grips" rule.

And there is still the fact that adding a thumbrest is not specifically allowed for either Production or CO. 

5 minutes ago, JAFO said:

And the box has to close for Production, too.  ?

Since they don't have a maximum size restriction for CO, it just comes down to whether allowing a slide stop rest conflicts with the "no thumbrest mods to the grips" rule.

And there is still the fact that adding a thumbrest is not specifically allowed for either Production or CO. 

Buts its not a thumb rest, its an extended slide stop, *wink wink   Where/how could we draw the line between extended slide stop and thumb rest? As an RO thats a serious question I have. 

slidestop.jpg

Edited by Patrick Scott

2 hours ago, Patrick Scott said:

Buts its not a thumb rest, its an extended slide stop, *wink wink   Where/how could we draw the line between extended slide stop and thumb rest? As an RO thats a serious question I have. 

Me, too.

1 hour ago, OPENB said:

There is no box in CO. Lets keep it to CO, as to not confuse. There are several other threads going about the prod. rules.

Fair enough.

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

See thats the way that I read it. It was not stated in the former appendix and mainly people believed it would be allowed as you were allowed to do undercuts, remove finger grooves, and etc. The new appendix clearly states grips may not be altered for a thumb rest. 

Slide lightening:

1) I see the benefit from the perspective of making a 45+ ounce gun make weight.

2) I also see the benefit of making a gun COOL

3) Are there any shooting benefits of reducing slide weight?

On my Sig 320 X-Five I already had a trigger job, so I don't think these rules will make any difference for my gun unless I were to make the slide lighter for some reason.

-adding an optic to a slide adds weight and makes it cycle slower, by lightening the slide you will cycle faster

-with a lightened slide there is less reciprocating weight therefore less muzzle rise on rearwards slide action and making less muzzle drop when slide returns to battery

Edited by race1911

15 hours ago, CHLChris said:

Slide lightening:

1) I see the benefit from the perspective of making a 45+ ounce gun make weight.

2) I also see the benefit of making a gun COOL

3) Are there any shooting benefits of reducing slide weight?

On my Sig 320 X-Five I already had a trigger job, so I don't think these rules will make any difference for my gun unless I were to make the slide lighter for some reason.

Removing weight from certain areas of the slide can affect/improve the balance of the slide and how it recoils.  But that's one of the reasons why your X5 already has those thru-cuts in the slide from the factory.  ;)

A probably dumb question...in reading that slide lightening cuts are now acceptable in CO, is it safe to assume that cutting a 45 degree angle on the front of the slide, the so-called "bullnose" cuts or radiuses muzzle (per Billy Wilson), are legal as well, since they do remove a (tiny bit) of weight? I ask because my EDC has such a cut, and I'd like to shoot it in a match every so often...

Michael B