Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing protection PCC

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use these but I finally bit the bullet and got some custom molded electronics so that I could wear them all day for multiple days while working major matches.  The Ghost Strikes actually work better (30db sound attenuation) than the custom molded ones but wearing them for 8+ hours for three to four days in a row made my ears sore.  If I am shooting for only one day they are fine. 

On the extreme low end of the cost factor I have another suggestion.  Every once and a while I will have a shooter come to the line when I am ROing and ask me to tap him on the shoulder at the beep because he can't hear the timer.  I am perfectly fine with doing this and have not heard anyone that feels otherwise. 

4 hours ago, Ocrrhbow said:

On the extreme low end of the cost factor I have another suggestion.  Every once and a while I will have a shooter come to the line when I am ROing and ask me to tap him on the shoulder at the beep because he can't hear the timer.  I am perfectly fine with doing this and have not heard anyone that feels otherwise. 

I'd ask you to do the same but not because I'm cheap. I have a hearing disability and a have a hard enough time understanding people right next to me, even with my hearing aids. When shooting I use custom plugs and some times muffs as well so I don't lose what little hearing I have left.

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, 682SuperSport said:

How did you go about getting these covered by insurance. I saw a thread where another shooter said the same thing.

Depending on your plan, they may be simply be considered as hearing aids.  Some plans have a set limit on how much they will pay, or how many hearing aids they will pay for within a certain time period.  For instance if you just bought a pair of HAs for the rest of the world you may have to wait a year or so for them to consider another pair.  

One other thing for those that are wearing muffs over their regular HAs.  Be careful as many manufacturers warn you not to wear HAs at shooting ranges as the loud sounds there can damage the units.  

On 2/18/2018 at 3:50 PM, Photon said:

Wow!  I'm retired military doubt if i could make that happen with TriCare. I ordered the Walker Razor neck worn. I really didn't want to mess with the frequent battery changes on the buds.

You didn't have  your hearing loss rated by the VA? Pretty standard for almost everyone  retiring so that they 

Will cover the hearing aids when you need them...

I usually wear my peltor tac sports with one foam plug in my strongside ear for three gun. When the muffs get jostled it’s usually only the strong side that loses the seal with my head so the foamy protects that ear canal. Weak side I leave open so I can still hear range commands (this could be the hearing aid side for you). I also wear the tac sports backwards while actually shooting so the microphones are facing the RO/timer rather than downrange.

12 hours ago, Photon said:

I have hearing aids from VA. No noise suppression 

So have you asked for a noise suppression set?  I would state my case to the VA for the need of  noise suppression... might get a set , might only have to cover the price delta out of pocket...