Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing protection PCC

I wear hearing aids. I can't wear electronic muffs without knocking them off. I've been wearing ear plugs but hard for me to hear range instructions, beeps or hits on steel targets. Has anyone found a product or solution that will work and not break the bank?  (Not breaking the bank is a key statement.)

It sounds counter intuitive, but if I wear my hearing aids UNDER any standard 

muff (non-electronic), it works Very Well.

I can hear range commands and the buzzer very clearly    :)

AND, the hearing aids help with sound suppression - they also click

OFF when a loud noise occurs.

But, what I do is leave my hearing aids in, move the right muff off

my right ear, until the RO says LAMR - then I put the muff back on,

and I can still hear the buzzer    :) 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/275487/walkers-razor-x-neck-worn-rechargeable-electronic-ear-plugs-nrr-31db-flat-dark-earth

been using these for 1.5 years  not real bad work well with pcc. walker replaced once when they shorted when it started raining at area 3, then the on/off switch quite working at lucas oil pcc match due to sweat, but was  able to get them working again with some elect contact  cleaner, there ok out doors but don't always shut down indoors with the echo, (same with most walker hearing protection ) so I just had molds taken for some custom molded ear plugs with a passive filter. Will be using them  while shooting and wearing elect headsets when waiting and RO'ing, 

I've been using the Peltor Tac 6's neck band since they first came out. You can reverse the ear position. Don't have any problem with the rifle or shotgun in 3 gun, and no issue at all for PCC Division. Also have the Walker electrics for the summer out here. The new ones come with 3 plug sizes. They work, sort of, but are nowhere near as fast or responsive as electric muffs. 

71dSA09N07L._SY463_.jpg

That's fine if you don't have a hearing problem. As I stated in original post I can't hear RO with standard ear plugs. I need amplified sound. This post was to find out what other people with hearing problems were using.

I'll report on the Walker Razor xv after I use them.

I recently discovered these https://www.decibullz.com/custom-molded-percussive-shooting-filters/

I was using the electronic muffs and hated how my ears and head hurt after a few hours. I made the change after I started shooting my PCC and kept knocking my muffs off my ears. The decibullz was a great solution. I did not have to spend over 125.00 for custom molded plugs that just muffled sound. The decibullz percussion allow you to hear normal conversations but cut shots great. I shoot almost exclusively indoors and there are race guns that blow past the electronic muffs. Most folks in my club have to put their hands over their electronic muffs when the race gunners shoot. I don't. Period. 

This was the best 75 I've spent 

I don’t like the walker razors I have had them for 6 months. The biggest issue I have is with the center of the foam eartip separating from the rubber piece that attached to the center of the foam allowing sound to enter the ear. I fly back and forth from Reno to California to shoot matches and in Reno the foam is

hard as a rock and very difficult to conform into the ear. 

On 2/19/2018 at 2:47 PM, mstamper said:

I recently discovered these https://www.decibullz.com/custom-molded-percussive-shooting-filters/

I was using the electronic muffs and hated how my ears and head hurt after a few hours. I made the change after I started shooting my PCC and kept knocking my muffs off my ears. The decibullz was a great solution. I did not have to spend over 125.00 for custom molded plugs that just muffled sound. The decibullz percussion allow you to hear normal conversations but cut shots great. I shoot almost exclusively indoors and there are race guns that blow past the electronic muffs. Most folks in my club have to put their hands over their electronic muffs when the race gunners shoot. I don't. Period. 

This was the best 75 I've spent 

These comments are spot on! I have been running the decibullz molded plugs for 2 years now and added the percussive caps when they released them. The are great for shooting,  especially long guns where muffs get knocked off or pushed up. The NRR on these are excellent (31db) and they are comfortable enough to wear all day. The best part is they don't use batteries so not changing or charging batteries.  Anyone interested in these shoot me a message I can save you some money when ordering direct from the manufacture. 

I don’t have hearing aids yet, but I will need them at some point. I love my sordin supreme muffs, but don’t love using them with long guns. I have molded plugs and like shooting with them but can’t hear Range commands well with them in. So I tend the partially remove one and often forget the replug which is really bad. 

I have tried non molded electronics (soundgear and walkers) but they just don’t seal well in my ears. 

So I’m biting the bullet and spending the $1,500 on custom fits - likely the pro ears pro fit line.