Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using N310 for 9mm 147gr

Mac_Menamy

Sorry, Darrell.  As I said, "going from memory", which is obviously a mistake

since I'm 74 years old.     :(

Lesson learned  -  no more memory sh.t for this old guy.     :surprise:

And, thanks again for all that great info.

BTW, am I correct  -  did you feel that N310 was the most accurate powder for 9mm ?   Or, do I owe you a 2nd apology ?     :eatdrink:

19 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Sorry, Darrell.  As I said, "going from memory", which is obviously a mistake

since I'm 74 years old.     :(

Lesson learned  -  no more memory sh.t for this old guy.     :surprise:

And, thanks again for all that great info.

BTW, am I correct  -  did you feel that N310 was the most accurate powder for 9mm ?   Or, do I owe you a 2nd apology ?     :eatdrink:

Depends on the bullet, N340 and Power Pistol with 115 and 124 JHP's, Accurate #2 with 124 JHP is second, 2.6 gr of Clays with a Hi-Tek coated 124 RN at 1.120 put 10 shots in 1.39" at 25 yds, but only a 109 Power Factor, only gun I can shoot this light load in is me EAA limited, CZ Accu-Shadow, and CZ TS Orange. 

Lots of varying opinions here :). Yesterday I looked up loads for N310 with a 147g bullet (Berry's) and used the recipe from the VV web site. It shot great out of our PCC and will likely become our new PCC load for steel challenge. There was enough difference between it and some N320 loads we were testing that my wife noticed the difference.   

If your really worried about under charging or and over charge, try N330, I think it is the best powder for 9mm. It works very well with 9mm !

My go to load, 3.5grs , under a extreme 147gr bullet, Use to be the Rem 147gr match FP till they got so expensive. worked very well for me!

On 2/14/2018 at 8:09 PM, MoNsTeR said:

I dunno why I'm even reading the forums today, haven't shot a match in 4 years, but this topic caught my eye and I have to post because none of the above comments about N310 are true.

I have loaded and shot many thousands of rounds of N310-powered 9 minor, with both 147gr and 130gr bullets.

It does not burn dirty, in fact it's probably the cleanest load you will ever use. It is not inconsistent. I typically get SDs of less than 10.

There are no "pressure spikes". That is fiction. You are not two tenths away from a KB. I have also run N310 in .40 major and gotten it hot enough to pierce primers. Obviously you don't want to do that, but the point is you're not going to go from "everything's fine but PF is a little low" to "making sure you still have ten fingers" just by adding a tenth of a grain.

Jacketed bullets may be too slow. With plated or coated, and a 5" barrel, you will almost certainly be able to comfortably make PF. Use caution and be a grownup.

Fair warning: you will never want to shoot anything else. It is that good.

If you search my past posts for "N310" you will find everything I've shared over the years I loaded it.

Best of luck to you.

Agreed. Those people may not even try it but gave such a comments.  Your comments are 100% accurate from my own experience about N310.

Based on the comments I tried N310 with 147g blue bullets. 3.1g @ 1.130 in a g17, and g34. Although at least for me load was mild, clean, but accuracy sucked at 15 yds in both guns. Could have been the bullets as when I went back to my 124 pdjhp both guns were spot on. May try again but every time I try 147’s I just don’t get good results.

1 hour ago, rooster said:

Based on the comments I tried N310 with 147g blue bullets. 3.1g @ 1.130 in a g17, and g34. Although at least for me load was mild, clean, but accuracy sucked at 15 yds in both guns. Could have been the bullets as when I went back to my 124 pdjhp both guns were spot on. May try again but every time I try 147’s I just don’t get good results.

Try use it on something other than Glock to compare.  It may be the Glock doesn't like it.  Also the blue bullet too. I used Berry plated bullets.

Edited by BigEar

4 hours ago, BigEar said:

Try use it on something other than Glock to compare.  It may be the Glock doesn't like it.  Also the blue bullet too. I used Berry plated bullets.

I think it’s the bullets. I don’t have anything else to shoot them through. But when I load 124 Montana golds or precision delta the guns are pretty much spot on. At 15 yds I can get about 1.5 ton2 inch groups. With the 147 load it was ridiculous. 4 inches or larger, not even a group.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:20 PM, CZ85Combat said:

147gn Blue bullet RN@1.130   2.9gn N310 128pf,  147gn Blue bullet RN, @1.130  3.2gn N310 132pf

I also shot some Blue RN @1.120" with 2.9 gr. N310 over my Oehler 35P chrono, and ended up with 128 pf.  Same seating and depth with 3.0 gave me 130 pf.  

BTW, I calculated pf using a nominal weight of 147, but the ones I checked actually weighed 150 grains.  So, pf would be more like 130 and 132, respectively.  2.8 gave 125 pf (128 using 150 gr.).  

I have been shooting N320 in my CZ's, but thinking of revisiting N310.  The 2.9 load was super soft, and I still have some N310...  

Edited by Ken6PPC