Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using N310 for 9mm 147gr

Mac_Menamy

Good morning all! Currently I am shooting Titegroup with a 147gt blue bullet out of a Glock 34 gen 4. I have heard that VV N320 powder is the way to go and is worth the extra money (although, it would only bump my price up .01 cent per round). But it seems that locally (Southern California) all I can find is N310. Unless anyone happens to know where I can find some N320 locally, would n310 work? I have tried to do some research and have come up short. If I have to order N320 off of brownells or Midway I will, but if I can get away from the hazmat fee and all of that that would be a plus too. Thanks!

Personally I would avoid n310 in that loading application. It's going to be such a small charge it could be inconsistent and burn at low pressure and be dirty.  Also n310 is fast enough that pressure spikes will happen quickly depending on oal and crimp choices. Hazmat fees are nothing compared to injury or equipment failure in my opinion. 

Thanks Jmo, I completely agree. This will be my first time venturing out from TG so I wanted to put some feelers out. I appreciate the help. I will just look at getting N320, or is there any alternative? I just want to see what else is available besides TG. I shoot USPSA Production and want a nice clean powder. I know ive read that Winchester WST and WS1 I believe are very good alternatives as well. Any advice?

I've used several different powders in 9mm. Right now I'm using

Prima SV with 115 grain fmj. Seems very consistent and good cleanliness. N320 is certainly a great option as well. With heavier bullets I choose  to avoid ultra fast powders YMMV. 

Agree, your window for N310 is really small...like +.2gr is kaboom! from the pressure spikes.

You can always try Prima SV as stated before. If you can find CSB-1/ETR7(same thing), that's roughly equivalent to N320 iirc...but without the N320 premium. Not sure where you're going to find either of those locally in socal though...

I dunno why I'm even reading the forums today, haven't shot a match in 4 years, but this topic caught my eye and I have to post because none of the above comments about N310 are true.

I have loaded and shot many thousands of rounds of N310-powered 9 minor, with both 147gr and 130gr bullets.

It does not burn dirty, in fact it's probably the cleanest load you will ever use. It is not inconsistent. I typically get SDs of less than 10.

There are no "pressure spikes". That is fiction. You are not two tenths away from a KB. I have also run N310 in .40 major and gotten it hot enough to pierce primers. Obviously you don't want to do that, but the point is you're not going to go from "everything's fine but PF is a little low" to "making sure you still have ten fingers" just by adding a tenth of a grain.

Jacketed bullets may be too slow. With plated or coated, and a 5" barrel, you will almost certainly be able to comfortably make PF. Use caution and be a grownup.

Fair warning: you will never want to shoot anything else. It is that good.

If you search my past posts for "N310" you will find everything I've shared over the years I loaded it.

Best of luck to you.

N310 is a disaster.  I would not use it in 40 or 9mm.  I have used it in 45 ACP, but once it was used up, never again.  It is horribly temp sensitive, and not a good idea in 9.  If you want N320 on the cheap, go buy some Alliant Sport Pistol.

N310 was my go to powder for 9mm for a year. Super soft, very clean. Excellent choice. I'll look for my data after work. It was amazing out of my cz sp01. Is it dangerous? Yes. But reloading period is. Don'

I use N310 in 9mm. It is clean burning. For 147gn I use 2.7gn -2.9gn 130pf. In my CZ Shadow I have used N310 2.8gn - 3.2gn @ 1.115 , 115gn & 125gn bullet For steel challenge very soft shooting.  3.4gn N310 with 125gn Blue Bullet @ 1.125 128pf. very clean burning and soft shooting.

Thank you all for your input! I think I will try going the N320 route or possibly the Alliant Sport Pistol route. I have recently been seeing some posts about that. Just seems like it is sold out every where (figures). Overall, I am just looking at alternatives to tite group. 

i've  used  3.1grs of  VV310 under  a  147 FP  loaded  at 1.130 coal  from a  G17  without  pressure  signs  of  any kind....i've  took this  recipe here from a  forum regular . it  was  3-4  years  ago  during the ''powder  shortage'''  under  obummer.

now, i  was  very  watchfull  on     my  station  3  powder check buzzer   on my 650 while  loading this  recipe.  checked  the  powder  drop  for  awhile  to  make  sure  it  was metering well .  would  start at 2.8grs  depending the  gun used.

3.2gr VV310 under an RMR 147gr bullet at 1.145". WSP and mixed brass.  130pf out of a Glock 34 with S3F barrel.  It was super soft and clean.  My VV310 and Titegroup loads were the same.  VV310 was just cleaner and cooler.  

I have a buddy that has shot thousands of rounds with 2.8gr VV310 under an Xtreme 165gr bullet.  He has never had any issues.

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2018 at 9:58 PM, CZ85Combat said:

I use N310 in 9mm. It is clean burning. For 147gn I use 2.7gn -2.9gn 130pf. In my CZ Shadow I have used N310 2.8gn - 3.2gn @ 1.115 , 115gn & 125gn bullet For steel challenge very soft shooting.  3.4gn N310 with 125gn Blue Bullet @ 1.125 128pf. very clean burning and soft shooting.

Do you mind to share what PF you had achieved in the CZ Shadow (147gn [RN?HP?RNFP?) for 2.8gn - 3.2gn individually?

I'd check Darrell's load data, if you really want to know     :)

Darren has tested everything, and has put his findings in a very concise, easy to understood

Excel format -  powder, bullets, velocity and accuracy - answers a LOT of questions.     :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

3 hours ago, BigEar said:

Do you mind to share what PF you had achieved in the CZ Shadow (147gn [RN?HP?RNFP?) for 2.8gn - 3.2gn individually?

147gn Blue bullet RN@1.130   2.9gn N310 128pf,  147gn Blue bullet RN, @1.130  3.2gn N310 132pf

On 2/14/2018 at 8:09 PM, MoNsTeR said:

I dunno why I'm even reading the forums today, haven't shot a match in 4 years, but this topic caught my eye and I have to post because none of the above comments about N310 are true.

I have loaded and shot many thousands of rounds of N310-powered 9 minor, with both 147gr and 130gr bullets.

It does not burn dirty, in fact it's probably the cleanest load you will ever use. It is not inconsistent. I typically get SDs of less than 10.

There are no "pressure spikes". That is fiction. You are not two tenths away from a KB. I have also run N310 in .40 major and gotten it hot enough to pierce primers. Obviously you don't want to do that, but the point is you're not going to go from "everything's fine but PF is a little low" to "making sure you still have ten fingers" just by adding a tenth of a grain.

Jacketed bullets may be too slow. With plated or coated, and a 5" barrel, you will almost certainly be able to comfortably make PF. Use caution and be a grownup.

Fair warning: you will never want to shoot anything else. It is that good.

If you search my past posts for "N310" you will find everything I've shared over the years I loaded it.

Best of luck to you.

I can't find your post for N310, u mind to post a link?

N310 has been my favorite powder for 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.  I currently use 2.8 g of N310 under a coated 145 g bullet for Steel Challenge in a PCC and Glock 34.  For Limited Division, I run it under a 180 g jacketed bullet LOADED LONG (1.220), and I used it exclusively for a long time in 45 ACP.  I tried N320 for 9mm, but N310 was a lot more accurate for me.  There are some who say that N310 is on the ragged edge of safety and that your guns will all explode, but if used in supported chambers for 9mm and 40 S&W, I have never had a problem.  If using in a Glock, I would use in an aftermarket barrel with more case support; however, I have used it in a Glock barrel sparingly without issue.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:10 PM, hamiltonian said:

I tried N320 for 9mm, but N310 was a lot more accurate 

I may be wrong (I'm going on 2-3 years of memory here), I seem to recall

reading that Darrell said much the same thing - that N310 is the most

accurate powder he had found for 9mm Minor, also.    :) 

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

On 3/13/2019 at 5:50 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'd check Darren's load data, if you really want to know     :)

Darren has tested everything, and has put his findings in a very concise, easy to understood

Excel format -  powder, bullets, velocity and accuracy - answers a LOT of questions.     :cheers:

It’s Darrell not Darren, my spreadsheet is in a zip file on the second page of my post from a few days ago.

Edited by Darrell
Add clarification