Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Side-charger convertible between semi-auto and bolt-action?

Rudukai13

I had a crazy idea for a rifle build today...Would it be feasible to build an AR with a side-charging upper and adjustable gas block, such that the gas block could be adjusted between "on" and "off", so that you could have one rifle that functions as both semi-auto and straight-pull bolt-action (using the side charging handle as the bolt handle) depending on what you wanted to do at any given time? Maybe 18" barrel chambered in the new 224 Valkyrie - You'd have a semi-auto rifle you could use in 3 Gun and then turn the gas system off and compete in bolt-action division of a Precision competition...

What components would be best for this type of build?

Wouldn't you rather just shoot a semi auto in the PRS gas gun division? That and it sounds very expensive to hose paper targets with in 3 gun, even before you figure the cost of lost brass and shortened barrel life. Even running it as a bolt action you'll still have some disadvantages vs. a bolt that are inherent to the AR platform. 

That and if 224V is anything like the 22 Nosler you may need a +2" gas system to keep from destroying brass.

The SLR and the Syrac are both detent blocks.

I was at one of Col. Cooper's rifle matches long ago. I was getting an ear full of how great the Scout rifle was compared to my trusty M-14 by several of the true believer untill I pointed out that I was waxing their butts with said M-14 and that I could ALWAYS shoot my M-14 as SLOW as they shot their Scout rifles, but they would never be able to shoot their Scout rifles as fast as my M-14. I think that is the point Tony is trying to make, and I know for sure I am. BTW the winning rifle at this match was Eddie Rhode's  scoped SR-25, a very close second was my iron sighted M-14 and a very distant 3rd was the first Scout rifle.....like 63%. 

Edited by kurtm

I built one like that in .458 for hunting with a suppressor.  My thought was to get a few quiet rounds into a hog sounder, switch to semi-auto and fire for effect.  Technically, it worked, but it wasn't really worth the trouble.  Now I just leave the gas open and the side charger is just a curiosity.