Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WSSC

rockyroadsaz

Was really hoping to see something west of the Mississippi this year.

It’s been west of the Mississippi for the past 3 years. I wouldn’t let location prevent you from coming. We will have plenty of room to accommodate competitors.

A question, do you have to be (qualified) to shoot wssc ? Example like shoot tier 3 level match first ? Or just sign up ? Thanks

Only requirement is current USPSA membership. It would be best if you had shot a Steel Challenge match or two before hand though.

Pretty slim pickings for those of us out west.

There are plenty of ranges that can host large matches out west. Hogue could easily hold one. Competitors from the east coast have traveled west for the past 3 years. I don’t see why it would be difficult for competitors in the west to travel east.

There are plenty of ranges that can host large matches out west. Hogue could easily hold one. Competitors from the east coast have traveled west for the past 3 years. I don’t see why it would be difficult for competitors in the west to travel east.

This is what I’m talking about. How many majors are there in the West compared to the East?

303ef8b5f2fe548033c43014662aedc7.jpg

The USPSA list is nearly as sparse for us. We have more shooters here in CA than any other state, but looking at major match locations you’d never know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I’m talking about. How many majors are there in the West compared to the East?

The USPSA list is nearly as sparse for us. We have more shooters here in CA than any other state, but looking at major match locations you’d never know it.

Because nobody wants to go to Commifornia. Probably won’t be long and they won’t allow firearms to cross into their state lines. Y’all should get back on track with the whole state of Jefferson thing and maybe things could get better

51 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

I was really hoping this would land in Vegas or thereabouts, but it is what it is.  I have to say this is the reason I’m grateful for the classification system and data teacking that SSCA (read: Zach, LOL) does, as it at least lets me feel like I’m competing nationally despite the constraints of my actual location.  

Do what we did and create and host a Level II match.  And when it gets big enough, make it a Level III.  (That's perhaps our next goal.)

There's nothing stopping any particular local club from doing it---can you run 8 stages?  Got a free weekend and RO staff?  Then set it up and do it!

Last year our Level II match was the second-largest Level II of 2017---and it was held in Nebraska.  (Not exactly the biggest travel destination in the world.) 

If you make a match and set it up right, people will come and shoot it.

(I note:  even if I had unlimited money, I wouldn't go to California to shoot, either.  And that's too bad, because outside some urban areas, there are a lot of good people there who like to shoot.  But the state laws.....mean I'm just never going to spend any money there.  However....it ALSO means that if you create a Level II match, you'll probably have people from all over your state coming to shoot it.)

Because nobody wants to go to Commifornia. Probably won’t be long and they won’t allow firearms to cross into their state lines. Y’all should get back on track with the whole state of Jefferson thing and maybe things could get better

That attitude is precisely how we as shooters exacerbate the problem, by not attracting new shooters to the sport in areas that need them the most. The shooting sports are an area that needs as much positive exposure as possible, so when the next liberal media pundit says there’s no sporting reason to own xxxx firearm, there is enough high profile shooting sports events to prove otherwise. If we were able to get Steel Challenge or Multi-gun to become an Olympic sport, it would do wonders for 2nd Amendment proponents across this country. Instead, we as seeing a decline in support for states like CA, that so desperately need to be shown how AR15s and other firearms have a primary sporting use, and incidents like Las Vegas, San Bernardino and Wednesday’s tragedy are aberrations that are far from normal. In any case, I would just like to have an opportunity to shoot more higher level matches that don’t require a flight, especially after getting a taste of WSSC last year.

On 2/17/2018 at 3:48 PM, alecmc said:

is there a price structure published yet?

$100 per gun for as many guns as you want to shoot. Up to two guns per session and we're having 9 sessions. In theory one could shoot all 13 SCSA divisions at the match. 

On 2/16/2018 at 3:32 PM, 1911luvr said:

That attitude is precisely how we as shooters exacerbate the problem, by not attracting new shooters to the sport in areas that need them the most. The shooting sports are an area that needs as much positive exposure as possible, so when the next liberal media pundit says there’s no sporting reason to own xxxx firearm, there is enough high profile shooting sports events to prove otherwise. If we were able to get Steel Challenge or Multi-gun to become an Olympic sport, it would do wonders for 2nd Amendment proponents across this country. Instead, we as seeing a decline in support for states like CA, that so desperately need to be shown how AR15s and other firearms have a primary sporting use, and incidents like Las Vegas, San Bernardino and Wednesday’s tragedy are aberrations that are far from normal. In any case, I would just like to have an opportunity to shoot more higher level matches that don’t require a flight, especially after getting a taste of WSSC last year.

I have to agree with 1911luvr. California has crap gun laws and it's simply not worth going to. It's the same with NJ and NY. You are correct in your thinking but you and all the west coasters need to do something about it....voting, speaking to your representatives. 

I have to agree with 1911luvr. California has crap gun laws and it's simply not worth going to. It's the same with NJ and NY. You are correct in your thinking but you and all the west coasters need to do something about it....voting, speaking to your representatives. 

I’m one of the vocal ones here. I am a member of my local NRA Members Council and work to fight anti-gun legislation however possible. I put out signs throughout the neighborhood, put flyers in gun stores, called and wrote my State Assemblymen and women, recruited an anti-prop 63 organizers to come to speak at our gun club, and I collected signatures to fight the measure, but ultimately we unsuccessful. I will not give up as long as I live in this state, and I’m tired of hearing other people, especially other gun-owning CA residents give up and plan to move away. We will never take back our state with that attitude, and we could damn well lose other states if that kind of attitude continues to prevail.

So anyway, how about someone organize a level 3 sectional in Las Vegas, at least until we can convince folks to come back to CA?

8 hours ago, 1911luvr said:

So anyway, how about someone organize a level 3 sectional in Las Vegas,...

One would think that Vegas would be a great place

2 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

Still some spots open for the Steel Challenge Nationals.

In March, in Ga!

Maybe start with that?

haha guess I'll have to