Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnetic Mag Retainer In Production...

chaserracer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the rules are pretty straightforward and troy's response is the correct (and imho obvious) explanation. you can't use a magnet *any time at all*, not in between stages, not for making ready, not at all.

Pockets (even front ones) are different. You can put a mag in your front pocket after barneying as long as you don't use it during the 'COF'. You can put a mag in your back pocket and still use it during the COF.

I had to bump a young lady to open at nationals for using a magnet. 

• 4 months later...

just to add to the "don't use a magnet" I emailed Troy on this as well and he said specifically that it is illegal. 

My question is what if you had a magnet on your shorts to hold the mag for load and make ready.......is that still considered illegal since magnets aren't allowed in prod?

35 minutes ago, Kraj said:

Every reason... Every time. straight to open

yeah i figured as much. I just hate it because its a PITA to fish my mag out of my pocket with my rig on. Don't really care one way or another. 

6 minutes ago, Vanniek71 said:

yeah i figured as much. I just hate it because its a PITA to fish my mag out of my pocket with my rig on. Don't really care one way or another. 

Just put it up front tucked inside your belt. I do that all the time plus it's the only mag with 11 (production) on my person. That way, unloaded start, it goes back in the bag.

A guy I shoot with got bumped to open because he used a mag from a pouch on his shorts that was in front of the hip bone while shooting production. We thought it only applies to after the buzzer but I honestly think it depends on if the RO wants to be a jerk or not. 

A guy I shoot with got bumped to open because he used a mag from a pouch on his shorts that was in front of the hip bone while shooting production. We thought it only applies to after the buzzer but I honestly think it depends on if the RO wants to be a jerk or not. 
Did he use it at the make ready command? That's specifically permitted.

During the course of fire, after the start signal, unless stipulated otherwise in the stage procedure, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speed loading devices shall be carried in retention devices attached to the competitor's belt and specifically designed for that purpose. Unless specifically prohibited in the Written Stage Briefing, a competitor may also carry additional magazines or speed loading devices in apparel pocket(s) and retrieve and use them, providing that the location of the apparel pocket does not violate the requirements of Appendix D, Item 12 (subject to the provisions of Rule 6.2.5.1).

Should the division restrict the location of the magazines or speed loading devices, carrying them in apparel pocket(s) forward of the restriction point will be allowed providing they are not removed from the apparel pocket(s) between the “standby” command and the command “ if clear, hammer down and holster”. (e.g. – a magazine may be retrieved from a front pocket to facilitate loading before the start signal or while unloading at the end of a COF without penalty). When stipulations in the WSB require placement of magazines or speed loaders on a table or similar location and not in the retention devices prior to the start signal, retrieving them and using them from the hand is allowed. Further, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speed loading devices carried in the hand after the start signal are not subject to the equipment position restrictions of Appendix D, Item 12, as long as they remain in the hand.

46 minutes ago, PatJones said:

Did he use it at the make ready command? That's specifically permitted.

During the course of fire, after the start signal, unless stipulated otherwise in the stage procedure, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speed loading devices shall be carried in retention devices attached to the competitor's belt and specifically designed for that purpose. Unless specifically prohibited in the Written Stage Briefing, a competitor may also carry additional magazines or speed loading devices in apparel pocket(s) and retrieve and use them, providing that the location of the apparel pocket does not violate the requirements of Appendix D, Item 12 (subject to the provisions of Rule 6.2.5.1).

Should the division restrict the location of the magazines or speed loading devices, carrying them in apparel pocket(s) forward of the restriction point will be allowed providing they are not removed from the apparel pocket(s) between the “standby” command and the command “ if clear, hammer down and holster”. (e.g. – a magazine may be retrieved from a front pocket to facilitate loading before the start signal or while unloading at the end of a COF without penalty). When stipulations in the WSB require placement of magazines or speed loaders on a table or similar location and not in the retention devices prior to the start signal, retrieving them and using them from the hand is allowed. Further, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speed loading devices carried in the hand after the start signal are not subject to the equipment position restrictions of Appendix D, Item 12, as long as they remain in the hand.

Yes it was during make ready. He should have fought it. It was when we first started and did know you could question a decision. 

The magnet is legal in production as long as you don't use it to retain a mag.  I've seen someone with a magnet on his belt shooting production.  He fumbled the reload and his mag was grabbed by the magnet.  He was moved to open.  It's not worth the trouble.

So my question on all of this still is the same as day 1, why?

If I am not using it in the COF, and there is no competitive advantage gained from using it, why can't shooters stick their load and make ready mag there? That's all I want so I have easy access to my 11 round mag. I know putting in a pocket, belt etc is doable, for me would just make life easier so I don't have to fish around in a pocket that's a pain in the ass to access due to mag pouches covering it, or stick it in a belt and then try to navigate my dunlap to find that......

I know no answers will come from posting this, its just a curiosity thing at this point. If its not used on the COF to reload, then whats the harm? I'd venture to guess this is a "Its always been that way thing" and the effort to change it isn't worth it to the NROI?

Edited by Vanniek71

Honestly, I think it should be viewed the same as using a front pocket mag for MR.  But even if it were, unless you run the magnet all the way at the rear of your belt, the chances that a mag will fall and stick to it outweigh the convenience.

The OP asked why.

This was part of the fallout from the magazine of magazines. (6 Magazines held in one holder moved by a spring). When the Board clarified the rule to require all mags on the belt to be held in individual holders it was decided a magnet is not an individual mag pouch, because it is not a pouch. Seems pretty simple to me.

That said it is a huge advantage in table start stages where the mags are all on the table.

Having one on the belt but not using it is just asking for a problem because it will come back to bite you eventually.

This is my opinion and recollection.

Jay

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, stick said:

The magnet is legal in production as long as you don't use it to retain a mag.  I've seen someone with a magnet on his belt shooting production.  He fumbled the reload and his mag was grabbed by the magnet.  He was moved to open.  It's not worth the trouble.

If it was legal, he wouldn't have been moved to open. So no, it's not legal. Same with having an optic but you're not using the dot but instead using the iron sights (cowitness), it's still not legal in production. 

2 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

If it was legal, he wouldn't have been moved to open. So no, it's not legal. Same with having an optic but you're not using the dot but instead using the iron sights (cowitness), it's still not legal in production. 

Jesus! That’s not what the rule says!! The rule says mags can not be retained by magnetic means. It does NOT say magnets are illegal on the belt.

The rules do not allow optics in production so that’s a really poor analogy.

Edited by Sarge

16 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Jesus! That’s not what the rule says!! The rule says mags can not be retained by magnetic means. It does NOT say magnets are illegal on the belt.

The rules do not allow optics in production so that’s a really poor analogy.

Breathe Top, Breathe. Soon it will all go away. ?