Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Caused the Gun to Full Auto

Fuelie777

First Generation S&W Pro, (won at a match in 2010).  Has about 14,000 rounds though it.  Slide stop lever broke so it was replaced, so I decided to change out the striker with a new one.  It has the Apex competition kit in it, but the original sear (more crisp trigger pull).   Went to test at the range, the gun would fire one shot, dead trigger.  Pull the slide back to engage the striker, one shot, then a dead trigger.  Again pull the slide back to engage the striker with the sear, pull the trigger and six rounds fired before I could release the trigger then it stopped.  Hoping to gain some wisdom of what is going on.  Thanks

sliver strikers have a shorter "leg" than the original black ones. You combine this with a PRO factory sear and a reduced power sear spring you get a problematic gun. this is also the reason S&W had problems with the "dead trigger" when they switched to the silver strikers. their fix was a stronger sear spring.

Thank you Dan Burwell.  It is on my list to measure the differences in the striker legs, but since I put a factory part in basically a factory gun with the factory sear, I did not measure the strikers for differences in leg length's.  But I will  as I have not pulled it apart since this weekend, but I will do so.  Thanks again for the insight.

• 1 month later...

To solve the problem, I installed the latest sear block with the larger sear spring.  Removed the original sear, and put in the apex sear.  I never had the apex springs in the fire control portion.  Checked it with the old striker and the new striker and everything is working reliably and safely.  Have tested it with about 250 rounds through the set up and it is working as expected.  I highly suspect that the new striker was different compared to the older striker, combined with the old sear block, original sear.  Note:  I checked my records for the gun, and  only the apex firing pin block, everything else was from S&W.  Thanks for the replies.