Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is shooting a 2011 only for the wealthy?

Sig0431

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$7.50 for a box of ammo (50) , 20 boxes per month ,  = $150.00

Match fees per month (local matches only) = $100

Gas to travel for matches & practice = $125

Meals & miscellaneous travel costs per month = $30

Level 2 & above match fees - $100+ per match. 

Targets / pasters / R&M of mags and all accessories - $20 per month (wild guess) 

There are ways to save here & there, others may shoot less or not be required to drive as far, but I hold with the notion that USPSA is not a cheap sport & my wallet tends to agree. 

15 hours ago, Sig0431 said:

Thank you for a alternative. I will look into CZ today and do some reading. I have been seeing a lot of positive reviews about the TSO and never really thought about looking into these. I hate that I live in such a remote area in AZ, I have little to no access to shoot new weapons. Most shooters at my local club shoot Open Division 2011 and I have yet to see a CZ but I for sure going to take this into consideration.

tso in 9mm  best choice for limited .(not the best metal like tanfoglio small frame   or svi  ,but very reliable and will serve u many years)

grip is better than any 2011 ( for me )

but if u will ever find on the street in garbage  5k u can order any gun  u want.:lol:

Cz,s are great guns. I have 4 tactical sports. For uspsa get a .40 cal.

One good thing , these are not picky, they will eat anything you feed them and not picky about mags. A very solid gun if you you dont go the 2011 route

1 hour ago, yigal said:

tso in 9mm  best choice for limited .(not the best metal like tanfoglio small frame   or svi  ,but very reliable and will serve u many years)

grip is better than any 2011 ( for me )

but if u will ever find on the street in garbage  5k u can order any gun  u want.:lol:

I am interested to hear why you say 9mm is best for limited? I totally disagree which is why I have been saving to move up to a .40

27 minutes ago, Moloch38 said:

Since you're a Marine, have you thought about cashing in your excess leave? I cashed in 120 days of use/lose leave and bought my wife a purse and then when and bought an STI and JP for my 3G rig. Everybody won!

We cant have more than 75 days on the books at anytime and then come each Oct any day past 60 they take from us so there is no way to save up 120 days of leave I also would rather use it then sell it. The pistol will come in time, I have one I have been shooting for 2 years and I will keep shooting it, just curious to see how people got into a 2011  

I did what most of the others said above. I watched what others shot and talked to the guys shooting them. One of them purchased a new gun and wanted to sale his (3rd) backup. So I was able to pick it up for around 1500 with some older extra mags. I bought new guts and checked the tuning on the mags and started shooting. Luckily for me some personal friends are custom Gunsmiths and went through the gun and tuned it all up. I still shoot it as my main Limited gun. 

31 minutes ago, Sig0431 said:

I am interested to hear why you say 9mm is best for limited? I totally disagree which is why I have been saving to move up to a .40

many shooters in US  remove buffer from this gun .in cal.40 it will not  last more than 30k-40k  without it.

this gun designed to shoot with buffer in 9mm and in .40.

i know about shooter from sweeden that shoot in .40cal.  ~100k because he use buffer from the first shot. .40cal.  in this gun break  sights and slides specially with light springs.

in 9mm i know about regular ts that passed 150k and still  in good condition 

if u can shoot accurately and fast u don't need .40.but  it take time

this is from my  experience .

Edited by yigal

44 minutes ago, Treeclmbr said:

.40 is only way to go if you want to compete in limited.  Major power scoring. 9mm in minor scoring.

A = 5pts major - 5pts minor

B = 4pts major - 3pts minor

C = 4pts major - 3pts minor

D = 2pts major - 1 pt minor

That is what I was leading to. I am not sure why Yigal insists on 9mm. I am not a "new shooter" I have been shooting USPSA for years, Limited for the last 2 years with a 9mm to see if I liked the division and I love it so I'm looking to move up to 40. but back to topic here lol

1 minute ago, Nathanb said:

Curious as to why you shoot limited. If you feel it’s a disadvantage to be score minor you could shoot production.  

I shot production for a long time and still do on occasion, I just enjoy limited. When I decided to start shooting limited I was not going to dump loads of cash into a new setup in hopes that I would enjoy the division when I was able to buy a new grip for my P320 to add a magwell, and other bolt on changes. Now that I have shot limited for 2 years and decided that I enjoy it more than production I am going to make the move to 40 and put production behind me.

Maybe because I am a Marine with a lower IQ than most so I have a hard time typing what I am thinking, but I don't see why this is so hard to understand. I feel like I have to keep telling people why I am shooting limited or explain that I am not a new shooter. Or people are just not reading all posts.

12 minutes ago, Sig0431 said:

Maybe because I am a Marine with a lower IQ than most so I have a hard time typing what I am thinking, but I don't see why this is so hard to understand. I feel like I have to keep telling people why I am shooting limited or explain that I am not a new shooter. Or people are just not reading all posts.

don't worry  .;)

in ours army in  few regiments  IQ  is about 150 -  average ,

but for all of them together :lol:

Edited by yigal

I love shooting limited also.

I have a shadow 2 that i dont shoot near as good as my Tactical sport orange in .40. Im going to shoot the S2 for a few weeks just to shoot 1 particular match that is prod. and SS only then it goes back to the safe. Shoot whatever division you enjoy shooting. As far as shock buffs, myself and most cz shooters i know remove them. Cajun gun works also recommends removing them for reliability. Ive seen them fall apart in 100rds then pieces are floating around inside the gun jamming up the gun. Running light springs i keep a eye out for any slide- frame peening. If i only get 100-150k rds through a gun then so be it. Its like a race car its going to need rebuilt at some point.

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

There are ways to save here & there, others may shoot less or not be required to drive as far, but I hold with the notion that USPSA is not a cheap sport & my wallet tends to agree. 

Perspective, yo.  Mrs moto and I raced dirtbikes for many years. Shooting is a fraction of the cost, even shooting 3k/month between the two of us, and traveling to 10-ish majors a year. And that's before you even consider hospital bills.

The difference between a $1200 gun and a $1900 gun doesn't even move the needle. I would spend less on eating out and on beer before I cut back on shooting costs.

I think you’re on the right track going .40. The simple math of scoring major and clearing steel by hitting it anywhere on the popper is an advantage. Besides it’s fun! There are the fans of 9mm particularly amount the CZ crowd. Probably because the gun style was designed around 9mm (for use as a NATO sidearm) and the .40 versions were “sized up.” Probably why 2011 is so popular as the frame was designed for .45. As someone who shoots .40 out of a plastic fantastic, durability is on the back of my mind. But then, it’s a good excuse to upgrade if it does fail!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

There are the fans of 9mm particularly amount the CZ crowd. 

no there aren't. not for limited. It is ONLY a disadvantage to shoot 9mm in limited. the only serious people using a 9mm are 3 gunners who don't have to worry about power factor or accuracy.

Edited by motosapiens

I've seen plenty of very, very good deals go by on the forum. Subscribe to the for sale forum and check your mail daily, You will see guns with mags go up for way less than the cost of an atlas anything. 

If you can get a decent gun with two 20+ mags, you can get run of the mill mags to flesh out your set for now. You can get into a functioning 2011 for under $2k. Not much under, but under. 

I am not wealthy but I do have a 2011. I think the best advice is to buy one used. And I don't say that because of being able to get one cheaper if it is used vs new. Getting a gun that someone else has gone through the trouble of troubleshooting and getting to run reliably helps to save money spent immediately after the purchase.

I think that letting the local guys know that you are looking is better than stalking the Benos classifieds. Saving the shipping/ transfer and also having the possibility to at least see that the gun shoots prior to purchase is worth a lot (to me at least).

There is no denying it: there is a significant upfront cost to get into a 2011. But I still think it is achievable for any budget. The bright side is that they really don't wear out.

For what it's worth, the wife has been shooting a CZ TS and that thing is also a very solid gun for a few dollars less. I think the magazines are far better as well. It's nice being able to shoot both and see their merits.

I have a Limcat  up for sale on here ( shameless plug) but this might work...

OPENB" s thread-----------------------

I've accepted that I'm done (mostly) with iron sights. These have been in the safe for too long, so here they are. All prices are shipped in Continental US.  Only trade I'm interested in is a 9mm Tanfoglio Limited Pro or Stock II for Carry Optics. 

1) STI Eagle 6", bull barrel. .100 Dawson FO front sight,  Cylinder & Slide ultralight hammer, sear, & disconnector.  Ed Brown ambi safety. Extended mag release button, stippled & undercut grip, Dawson stainless mainspring housing & Ice magwell. Frame was tapped for thumb rest by previous owner, but I'm left handed, so no use to me. Comes with 8 mags with Dawson +1 base pads & Grams follower kits. All hold 20 reloadable. 3 tubes are newest style STI, 5 are old style. $2100

Edited by cnote

I think having a ballpark budget is a good idea. It was one thing I did for myself to kind of say 'ok, I feel comfortable looking once I have this much set aside'. 

I ended up getting an older used SV from the classifieds. It was a little more than I initially wanted to spend, but it was at a really fair price and I knew I'd regret not pulling the trigger (terrible pun 100% intended). 

Save slowly. There are a lot of folks who put cool 2011s up for sale with enough frequency there is usually something or a few somethings cool on the board. 

Ask around your local shoots to see if anyone has a backup or older gun they no longer use that they might sell for a deal. Older doesn't necessarily mean bad or even heavily used. Especially if they're local you could ask to try a gun out for a match or stage. 

As for funding, do you have other hobbies? If you do, maybe you have some things that you have outgrown or don't use as much. I sold some other hobby gear that I just wasn't using and got fair prices back on them (talking like fishing rods, guitar equipment, archery stuff.) If you have some other hobby things to sell that you won't be sad to let go, maybe consider that to help move on to a new hobby you're enthusiastic about. 

Also, file your taxes. Tax return season is here so you could also look at your return as a potential little boost to your funding pool. 

Good luck finding the right 2011 for you.