Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is shooting a 2011 only for the wealthy?

Sig0431

Before I get into this let me give you all a little background. I have only been shooting USPSA Limited for 2 years. I currently shoot a Sig P320 in 9mm as that is what I had at the time I started. I am an active duty Marine and by no means a subject matter expert which is why I would like to hear from you all and gain some advice.

Now to the topic. I have been shooting for many years but Limited for 2. As you all know I am at a total disadvantage shooting 9mm and am always on the hunt for a 40 that I can afford and set the Sig aside for 3 gun. Along with many shooters the Atlas Gunworks Nemesis is my dream pistol and this is where my questions being. Put the Atlas Gunworks aside, is there anyway that someone like myself with a military income can get into a 2011 set up or has this firearm become reserved for those with large amounts of extra cash laying around?

I have looked at a caliper conversion for the P320 to 40, I have considered switching to an M&P etc. I am well aware that those options are out there but "IMO" they do not have the same level of third party parts and support, community following and gun smiths with that skill to make the weapon run as flat as many 2011's do. When it comes to "intro" level 2011's really the only option that I have seen is the Rock Island Armory which only comes in 9mm and I have heard some good but many more negative stories about. I was excited to see during Shot Show that STI announced the HAWK 5.0 as the beginners 2011 but sadly only in 9mm at this point. Then when looking at the weapon and considering I would need to order a magwell, adjustable rear sight, barrel (maybe) etc. It seemed that going with a STI Edge would save money in the long run.

When considering the cost for a solid 2011, 4 mags, holster, mag pouches is there anyway for someone like myself to get into this setup? I am checking the classifieds every day but 90% of 2011's sold on this site are top of the line and I don't think anyone would accept payment plans haha. How did you all get into your first 2011? Any advice for someone like me? Should I just buy components over time then send them to a gun smith to complete the build? As always thank you all in advance for what I know will be solid information and advice. This site has the most professional and helpful members that I have seen to date.

Edited by Sig0431

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you're not giving any specifics on budget.  But I was able to pick up a bull barrel STI Eagle with 2 mags for $1300 or so on Gunbroker in great shape with all of the modifications a USPSA shooter would do anyway.  The eagle for whatever reason seems to be sold cheaper than an Edge.  There are a few more new ones out there now for 1400-1500.  The newer Eagles won't have an adjustable sight, but I'm not sure I've ever used the adjust-ability of an adjustable sight.  Deals are out there.  RowdyB just sold (I think?) his .40 cal Eagle for a heck of a deal on the Enos classifieds too.

I bought my first Limited STI Edge used for $1800.  The other guy had already done the trigger job, new ambi-safety, etc.

There is always someone who just got a new gun.  Ask what they want for their backup?  If you shoot with the same group all the time, you will know which guns run at your club and those that don't.  As far as paying over time, I've often done that with local shooters, but I sure knew them before I did that.

As for buying pieces and parts, what might be a good idea is to buy a belt, then next month buy a mag pouch or magazine (probably MBX)  You don't need a Double Alpha X holster for $200 when a Bladetech holster for $75 will also get the job done.

Depending on what brand you want to get into. I see used sti packages for 1300 to 1800. I went with the RIA 2011 and paid well under 1k for it but good mags are expensive. For an entire set up with mags etc. expect to be spending at least 13, 14, 1500. So just depends on what kind of budget you have. FYI building one usually isn't cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Don't buy a knock-off gun or one you 'think' you will be able to fix up.  Buy what everyone else around you shoots as others will be able to help you diagnose any problems.

Someone asked me about a trigger reset spring on a CZ.  I've never even touched one so couldn't help at all.  However, if he needed an 11 lb recoil spring, or 11 coil magazine spring, I had extras in my bag.

shoot what you got and put your pennies away until you have enough.  you don't need to go atlas to get a real nice 2011.  the box-stock STI's run pretty good (a couple of recent threads on this) and a real nice choice is a brazos hp edge where they take a stock edge, do a nice trigger job and go over it and make sure it runs 100% before they ship it to you - a great in between option between stock and custom.  look at the classifieds here, no guarantees of course but i haven't heard of any bad deals, ripoffs or the like.  some folks want to move from limited to open, or from limited to a custom limited and are selling what they have to help pay for the upgrade.

Getting a good deal is the biggest part of it.  Used guns can be hit or miss so there is a little more risk.   Ive got high quality 2011 packages with mags and holsters ready to go for less than a lot of people have invested in production guns.  you need a lot of money to buy a new name brand custom but not to get started.

I felt like you when I first started shooting as well, as a poor college student. After about 2 years, I realized I wanted to have a 2011 and I managed to make it happen. Sell a couple guns, don't go out to eat, scrape together some pennies and look for a good deal.

If you really want one, you can make it happen.

3 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I felt like you when I first started shooting as well, as a poor college student. After about 2 years, I realized I wanted to have a 2011 and I managed to make it happen. Sell a couple guns, don't go out to eat, scrape together some pennies and look for a good deal.

If you really want one, you can make it happen.

This is what I am doing now! This is why I did not list a budget that I have, my budget will be determined by how much I have saved at the time that I find a good deal that I can afford.

Thanks for the invaluable insight so far, it is great to hear advice like

20 minutes ago, Trent1k1 said:

Don't buy a knock-off gun or one you 'think' you will be able to fix up. 

20 minutes ago, Trent1k1 said:

At the end of the day, you will spend more on bullets for the life of the gun than you will on the gun.

Rock Island does make a 40 cal.  51738 is product number.   Yes the thread here deals mostly with the 9mm version.

Otherwise see if your local group has anything for sale.  Best bet for buying used before taking a chance on a stranger.  (sorry but the voices tell me not to trust people on the internet when buying expensive stuff)

15 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Glock 34 ?

I have never been a glock fan. I own a glock 19 that I am only holding onto as a possible part of a trade for a 2011 to get some money off the asking price. Really it comes to preference but I am tired of polymer pistols. I have even been in contact with some CNC companies to price out the cost of a metal P320 lower.

You might consider something other than a 2011 for a double stack.  The CZ 75 Tactical Sport comes ready to shoot Limited, along with three mags.  I have a TS and 2011s.  IMO the TS is the better gun for Limited, because it is faster, the bore sits lower in you hand and you don't have to do a single thing to it except load the mags.  For $1100 new you cannot beat it.

6 minutes ago, zzt said:

You might consider something other than a 2011 for a double stack.  The CZ 75 Tactical Sport comes ready to shoot Limited, along with three mags.  I have a TS and 2011s.  IMO the TS is the better gun for Limited, because it is faster, the bore sits lower in you hand and you don't have to do a single thing to it except load the mags.  For $1100 new you cannot beat it.

Thank you for a alternative. I will look into CZ today and do some reading. I have been seeing a lot of positive reviews about the TSO and never really thought about looking into these. I hate that I live in such a remote area in AZ, I have little to no access to shoot new weapons. Most shooters at my local club shoot Open Division 2011 and I have yet to see a CZ but I for sure going to take this into consideration.

Remington now or what was para, can be found very reasonable and are good guns, you just have to keep an I out.  I know you said you were tired of plastic but an XDM/M&P/ Glock can be had on the cheap and if you want more weight you can always hang one off the front of them.  The para types or plastic can be very competitive.  I have seen RIAs in 40, but personally would not go that route, the fitting on those guns seems to be very hit or miss, with a lot of miss, and I have owned them and am not just talking them down cause of price

I’m in the same boat as you: Last fall I scored a killer deal on an XDM.40 which allowed me to move to Limited major which I love. Thinking the next move might be to hammer-fired 2011 but not ready to invest $2k. A friend shoots Tanfoglio and he let me try his. Great shooter. Technically a CZ clone, not a 1911. Someone smarter than me can explain the difference. Problem is they are made in Italy and it appears they are changing importers along with the model configurations. But looks like I could get a running gun for about $1k before mags etc.

If the initial cost is that big of an issue then you need to find a different hobby.

Not being a turd, it just is what it is and there are a lot of other rewarding hobbies that don't constantly drain funds like shooting does. 

8 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If the initial cost is that big of an issue then you need to find a different hobby.

Not being a turd, it just is what it is and there are a lot of other rewarding hobbies that don't constantly drain funds like shooting does. 

I don't think this is completely true.  I have been shooting on a budget for ~15 years.  The initial cost of uspsa is very little, as stated by the OP he has been using the gun he has had for two years.  While yes, if you want to shoot an STI and up in double stack guns the initial cost is high, you can be very competeitve without spending a ton of money either upfront, or throughout the hobby.  I shoot an XDM mainly, so initial cost was low and in my area a match and ammo cost about $25. No I am no allstar just a middling b that snuck into a class, but I don't practice anymore either.  Point to all that is, USPSA can be one of the cheapest sports there is

19 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Never said that cost was an issue. I was asking for advice as to other means to get into a double stack platform that I may not be aware of.

I also don't find that shooting "constantly drain funds", for me shooting is an investment, it is a means of relaxing from the daily grind, being around others with the same passion etc. I reload all my own ammo, I don't own more guns than I use (so I can save to upgrade to another weapon). Considering that in a typical month I shoot about 1000 rounds to practice, and roughly 300 rounds twice a month at matches, I only spend about $100 to include patch fees and the small amount of powder and primers I use.

Good used guns can be found at the clubs you shoot at.

Risk is lower because you can see , feel and shoot them etc.

Guys in your area who have moved to open etc, may sell their old Limited gun at a very fair price.

Might give that a try.

2011's rule the roost so anything else you MAY feel is 2nd fiddle

BUT

Most people can't shoot the difference between a store bought one with appropriate mods and a custom built 2011.

It sure is fun to own the customs though!

31 minutes ago, 427Cobra said:

When I was a E4 I couldn’t afford to be broke, and the needs of Uncle Sam were always paramount, today I still fix jets, but now it pays a lot more, but by no means am I rich. 

haha. 4 more years and I am done! Nice to know someone else knows where I am coming from, but if I could do it all over again I would not change a thing!

Been very happy with my Para Pro Custom .40. There is no lack in performance between it and a S_I, and cost $1100 new. Fit is very good as well. I don’t have any experience with the Remington, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Para.