Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Freestyle to SHO or WHO Drill

GunBugBit

This seems obvious and I'm sure many of you already do this, but I haven't seen it in the dry fire books I own.

Many of us already do drills where we draw into strong-hand-unsupported or weak-hand-unsupported (strong-hand-only (SHO) or weak-hand-only (WHO), if you prefer) or where we switch from freestyle to SHO or WHO, but what about switching from freestyle to SHO or WHO without first drawing or performing a reload?

So the drill is simply:

1. Draw into freestyle (normal two-handed) grip and fire two shots
  2. Switch to either SHO or WHO
  3. Fire two more shots

On 2/12/2018 at 10:15 AM, GunBugBit said:

This seems obvious and I'm sure many of you already do this, but I haven't seen it in the dry fire books I own.

Many of us already do drills where we draw into strong-hand-unsupported or weak-hand-unsupported (strong-hand-only (SHO) or weak-hand-only (WHO), if you prefer) or where we switch from freestyle to SHO or WHO, but what about switching from freestyle to SHO or WHO without first drawing or performing a reload?

So the drill is simply:

1. Draw into freestyle (normal two-handed) grip and fire two shots
  2. Switch to either SHO or WHO
  3. Fire two more shots

I set up classifier CM 03-11 El Strong Hand & Weak Pres as part of my dry fire routine. It allows me to work on my reloads and strong hand only and weak hand only shooting. You have 2 strings of fire. 1st string draw and engage 3 targets freestyle perform mandatory reload and engage 3 targets with strong hand only. String 2 you draw and engage 3 targets freestyle perform mandatory reload and engage 3 targets weak hand only. Practicing this classifier as part of my routine dry fire drills has helped me in my reloads and SHO & WHO shooting. 

18 hours ago, RAP said:

I set up classifier CM 03-11 El Strong Hand & Weak Pres as part of my dry fire routine. It allows me to work on my reloads and strong hand only and weak hand only shooting. You have 2 strings of fire. 1st string draw and engage 3 targets freestyle perform mandatory reload and engage 3 targets with strong hand only. String 2 you draw and engage 3 targets freestyle perform mandatory reload and engage 3 targets weak hand only. Practicing this classifier as part of my routine dry fire drills has helped me in my reloads and SHO & WHO shooting. 

This classifier even has a turn'n'draw from surrender (hands on ears or earpro).   Pretty much all of the raw skills in this one.

Great choice for a classifier stage to work on, dry fire and/or live fire practice!

In the Limited division, a hit factor of 7.0 is needed to be at 100.0%.

Assuming 24 shots that are all A's, total time would be 17.1s to be at 100%.  Since most of us will be slower on the second string due to the weak hand portion, this would look something like 7 seconds for string 1 and 10 seconds for string 2.

In dry fire the par times should be lower of course.

Edited by GunBugBit