Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red vs Green Fiber Optic front sight

thouston406

I do a co-witness sometimes and a red FO for me was just stupid:  Red on red when I turned the optic on, and once had the optic off and was thinking the FO was my dot, lol.  That didn’t last long.  Switched back to green, and wow, it blares compared to the red.  Not even a close comparison.  I’m now planning on buying a multipack of green from Nanoptics and calling this experiment done.    ✅ 

Edited by jkrispies

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I do a co-witness sometimes and a red FO for me was just stupid:  Red on red when I turned the optic on, and once had the optic off and was thinking the FO was my dot, lol.  That didn’t last long.  Switched back to green, and wow, it blares compared to the red.  Not even a close comparison.  I’m now planning on buying a multipack of green from Nanoptics and calling this experiment done.    ✅ 

So if I am understanding correctly you have fiber optic on both the front and rear sights?  I should have clarified that I am only using fiber optics on the front site.  I am not a fan of a 3 dot sight so I don't think I'd like fiber optics on the rear

53 minutes ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

So if I am understanding correctly you have fiber optic on both the front and rear sights?  I should have clarified that I am only using fiber optics on the front site.  I am not a fan of a 3 dot sight so I don't think I'd like fiber optics on the rear

Negarive.  I shoot a rifle with fiber only on the front, plus a red dot that I have on a quick detachment 1/3rd cowitness mount.  I usually take the red dot off when I shoot the iron sights but the irons are on permanently.  When I shot the red dot with the red fiber optic front sight, it was no bueno.  Too many li’l red points floating around out front!  Truthfully I could live with them both being red if I had to; Mainly, the green FO glows way brighter.  Green is totally the way to go. 

Edited by jkrispies

I never had any use for fiber optics front sights.  On pistols.  My Ithaca M37 has had a FO front sight on it since I got it in 1969.  

My first pistol with a FO front sight is the XDM 5.25" 9MM.  Big ol' orange FO front sight that hangs out there like a fuzzy soft ball.  I hate it.  All of us shoot the 3.8" XDM 9MM better (standard metal front sight) than the FO 5.25" gun.

Then I got that used CZ Tactical Sport .40 (bought it from a member here) with a tiny little green FO front sight.  What a change.  I really like that front sight.  I don't know if it's the color or the small diameter.  But I can see it.  I can focus on it.  It doesn't "overfill" the rear sight notch.  It makes it easier to shoot the pistol well vs. harder to shoot the pistol well.

On the other hand, I have two RMR's CZ pistols.  A dual illuminated amber dot on the P07 and a dual illuminate green dot on the P09.  Under poor light conditions (me in low light and the target in bright light) the amber dot is way easier to use than the green dot.  The green dot is all but invisible.  I can find it, barely, if I spend long enough looking for it.  The amber dot is right there under favorable or unfavorable conditions.

So, use what works best for you.  You won't know that by asking other people.  You'll figure it out by trying different options out for yourself.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...